[SaS]SgtMajor_Rock

[SaS]Drill Sergeant

50 XP

21st January 2004

0 Uploads

70 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I'm sure someone may have already seen this or mentioned it but if not here it is. EA released a debug program for mods. This is what they had to say in the readme, it sounds promissing for modders.

Battlefield 1942 Debug Executable WHY USE THE DEBUG? The BF1942 debug executable will list any data errors in your custom mod or map. Used correctly, it will allow you to improve frame rate, stability and overall robustness for your mods and custom BF1942 maps. The debug exe will allow you to pinpoint where in your custom mod/map the problem lies. EXAMPLES 1) Assertion Errors for missing textures or animations can cause rendering errors or strange side-effects if not addressed. 2) Assertion Errors for sound files can tell you that your custom sounds are causing a performance hit if the sounds don't match the sample frequency, eg. 11, 22 or 44 Khz. 3) In general, assertion errors about missing assets are a warning to the level designer or scripter that a resource is missing. HOW TO SETUP 1) Unzip and place the debug exe (BF1942_r.exe) into your root BF1942 directory. DEFAULT location is C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942 2) Place the dll file (Mod_r.dll) in the \Mods\bf1942 folder. DEFAULT location is C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942) 3) You must set Battlefield 1942 to run in Windowed Mode in order to use the debug exe effectively. To do that, open the VideoDefault.con file and change the renderer.setFullScreen to 0 (zero). DEFAULT location is C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings. HOW TO USE1) Start BF1942 by using the debug exe (BF1942_r.exe) 2) Run your custom map in BF1942 or activate your mod and run a map from the mod. 3) As the map loads, the debug will generate an assertion error dialog box which details any problems it encounters. You can IGNORE these errors and continue loading the map but the map will most likely be hindered by these in terms of performance or stability. 4) All assertion errors will also be written to a debug log file in your mod directory using the following naming convention: Debug__20040202_1310_Server.log. DEFAULT location is /mods//logs HOW NOT TO USE 1) The debug exe cannot be used to join a BF1942 game running on the regular executable. 2) You won't be able to host a dedicated or internet server 3) You won't be able to host a Punkbuster-enabled server cheers, Battlefield Team

Here is the link to it. http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/1942/us/editorial/debug_download.jsp

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

dude its like 3 or for 4 weeks old ;)?

[SaS]SgtMajor_Rock

[SaS]Drill Sergeant

50 XP

21st January 2004

0 Uploads

70 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Well now ya, but did the FH team use it? Thats what I was wondering.

I.W.A..Dr.Johan[SWE]

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

7th March 2004

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago
'[SaSSgtMajor_Rock']Well now ya, but did the FH team use it? Thats what I was wondering.

I guess they haven't... just try to run the debugger at some of the FH maps and you will get a bunch of errors...

[SaS]SgtMajor_Rock

[SaS]Drill Sergeant

50 XP

21st January 2004

0 Uploads

70 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

I figured that oh well I think if they did this it would help a ton with the load times and the map crashes.

f_ubar

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

11th March 2004

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

The debug logs are quite informative, but unfortunately not always helpful for newbies who do not know BF internals too well, i. e. me. Right now I'm getting this message on most maps while loading in single player mode: Engine\Io\StreamUtil.cpp(62): Assert: Io: (bytesRead == sizeof(value)) After that, the game crashes to desktop. The line of code itself is quite clear, but I don't know the context, i. e. what it is which is being read and triggers the assertion. Could anybody perhaps help me figure out what is going wrong and how to avoid it (if possible)? I am using BF1942 1.6.19 (both release and debug) with FH 0.61. :coffee: The longest time I have played so far in single player mode was ca. one minute (after which, of course, the game crashed to desktop). Btw, I got a lot of failed assertions about the 44 kHz sound files. Switching sound to 22 kHz helped, but I'm curious as to whether this has happened to others.