Grahf

Please fix knee mortars

50 XP

7th March 2004

0 Uploads

192 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

omg I can't believe you guys did this. Total blunder on your part, and an issue of not doing your homework I suppose. The Japanese Knee Mortar was NOT fired from the knee as you have modelled in FH, and anyone who even knows remotely anything about the war in the Pacific can tell you this. I thought it was common knowledge??? "Model 89 50mm Grenade Discharger[size=-1] Misnamed the "Knee Mortar" by Allied Forces, who incorrectly beleived the weapon was fired from the knee.[/size] [size=-1]This weapon entered the Japanese arsenal in 1929. It was a small, light weight, muzzle-fed, rifled weapon which was widely used by the Japanese Army, allowing for higly mobile mortar support by the infanrtyman - a truely unique concept that was not present in American infantry forces."[/size]

http://www.pacificghosts.com/guadalcanal/weapons/japanese/kneemortar.html GD-USE.gif "A right illustration shows the usage of the grenade discharger. Keeping the discharger at 45 degrees of elevation, remove a safty pin of the grenade and insert the grenade into the discharger. By pulling a trigger, the grenade is launched. Though the Japanese grenade discharger is known as "Knee Motar", it never stands on knee. The shooting range can be adjusted by the ring around the bottom of the barrel which changes the size of a hole through which the bursting gas leaks." http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/ @kneemor.jpg The Americans incorrectly interpreted it as "knee mortar" due to a misunderstood translation of the Japanese, which actually referred to the way in which it was CARRIED, NOT the way it was FIRED. The knee mortar was extremely light weight and could be attached along a soldier's leg using this strap- 20039211755_t10s1.jpg Any attempt at firing a "knee mortar" from the knee caused severe fractures of the leg bone!!

50 mm Mortar jw-mortar.jpg This was a simple grenade thrower used by the Japanese infantry. It has a short rifled barrel with an adjustable threaded rod inside. Always fired at an angle of 45 degrees, the range of the projectile was adjusted by moving the rod inside the barrel, thus altering the space inside for combustion. The bottom has a small curved plate to dig into the ground. The Japanese called it a "Leg Mortar" as it was carried strapped to the leg, but a mis-translation in Allied reports led to the term "knee mortar" and the belief that it was fired holding the curved plate against the thigh. How many allied servicemen broke their thighs firing captured examples is unknown. http://www.multipointproductions.com/heroes/henri/weapons.htm

Cragger

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

You've got to be kidding me that this sort of a screw up actually happened. The most basic forms of research would have shown that the 'knee mortar' was not fired from the knee. They had to get the pictures to reference the model form somewhere, didn't anyone read the captions and material associated with it?

striderx2048

DiCE/EA: Ambiguously Gay Duo

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

what can i say, most of the devs are non native english speakers. they "assumed" that how it was.

Grahf

Please fix knee mortars

50 XP

7th March 2004

0 Uploads

192 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

I suppose it's an understandable mistake....although just the fact that they put in the sheer amount of research required to make this game and missed something so obvious is odd. I just think the main thing is to fix this sooner or later. I'm just pointing out a major and obvious mistake in the game. Actually....if you guys really want to be historically accurate, you shouldn't even call it the "Knee Mortar" on the class selection list (seeing as it was actually called the "Leg mortar"). If I were you, I'd just disregard the misinterpretations and myths of the Pacific and simply call it "Type 89 Mortar" or "Type 89 50mm Mortar" or "Type 89 Grenade Discharger". That's my two cents.

PanzerAce

Some Guy...

50 XP

11th January 2004

0 Uploads

736 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

wow, but yah, i dont know how they missed that, plus, if you fire the mortar from your knee, your likly to snap you leg and spend awhile in the hospital

FactionRecon

11PzG Grunt

50 XP

4th August 2003

0 Uploads

3,889 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

wow....they missed it? I've only used in in a local game i created to test out Iwo, but I havent seen the animation from a 3rd person perspective. If they did get this wrong.....amazing. Yes, anyone who knows anything about WW2 in the Pacific should know the stories behind the "knee mortar"!

Dime_a_Dozen

FH Dev Team Member

50 XP

1st January 2003

0 Uploads

324 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Guys, the issue is ANIMATIONS, not lack of research. I've done the research and I knew the grenade discharger aka knee mortar is not fired from the knee. Custom weapon animations take time, patience, and skill. Unfortunately the tools we use to do such limit us at the start. I appreciate your concern about this, I really do, but it is a development limitation, not a "blunder".

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Can't say I've seen him actually fire from the knee... looks more like he's just holding it

2ltben

Shpadoinkle

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

261 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

My friend's father was in Vietnam, and a replacement found an old knee mortar from a dead NVA troop. He tried firing it off his knee, needless to say he was off the point for a while. Shattered his knee.

Quercus

Cocoa-Banana

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

63 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago
Dime_a_DozenUnfortunately the tools we use to do such limit us at the start. I appreciate your concern about this, I really do, but it is a development limitation, not a "blunder".

Does this mean it is something that can't be fixed or that can but not for a while?