[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#1 17 years ago

I love the FH mod. It's got awsome tanks that are really powerful, but as the same time, don't have turrets that turn faster then the soldier can blink. Planes have great bombing power, but have to reload. A lot of great new maps with new objects and textures.

BUT There is a really big problem with the sound resolution

I don't know if i am using the correct term, but here is what i mean: The sounds have no controlled 'volume'. If the tank is shooting far away from me, i hear it as if it is right next to me. When a flak is firing on the verge of my visibility range, i hear it right over head, as if i am lying under the flak sandbags. Same goes for rifle shots fired in the distance (and i mean far distance), but i spin around, cause it sounds like someone is right behind you.

It's all great when you load up Battle of Orel (that huge map with the city in middle), and you start hearing rifle shots, explosions, tank shots, and you go: "Wow! the sound atmospere is great". But after a while, you get tired of jumping up from the rifle shot sound coming right overhead that is actually originating at the other end of the city.

Furthermore, this induced a lot of client side lag. BF always had problems with sound coding and client side lag from it, and with FH, most of the lag (i am talking about client-side) is caused exactly by this (in addition to reduced fog and other stuff).

FH devs did a great job by letting you hear the projectile go past you (not just the shot & impact sounds like in old BF), but they need to fix this issue of high volume and detail of far away sounds. I just wanted to know if the devs actually know this and doing something about it

P.S. I don't want people with P4 3.4Mhz, 1024MB RAM, GeForce4, etc, etc replying to this topic with the stupid and irrelevant "uhh, i don't get lag, uhh..."

shagsta

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#2 17 years ago

I suspect it may be issues with your hardware config or drivers, etc. I am having no such issues with the sound "resolution" on my or my brother's PC.

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#3 17 years ago

No I actually he is right! I thought about this but forgot to write it in my bug thread. I can hear AA gun's like theyr'e close to me but they are not!

Dethroned

Screaming For Vengeance!

50 XP

26th September 2003

0 Uploads

27 Posts

0 Threads

#4 17 years ago

Happens to me too quite often, annoying as hell! All those rifle shots makes you turn around and look is there someone. And every time I fire mg in tank, I can't hear its sound.

Is that what they call balance? :naughty:

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#5 17 years ago

I still haven't heard anything from the devs :((

Reeves

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

23rd September 2003

0 Uploads

52 Posts

0 Threads

#6 17 years ago

I only get this problem with flak firing.

The Jackalx2k

FHmod Developer

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,214 Posts

0 Threads

#7 17 years ago

Merciless Creations is now in charge of the sound department. They will help us since they seem to have more experience there. =)

Evilsanta

Swedish Elite Tanker

50 XP

12th August 2003

0 Uploads

435 Posts

0 Threads

#8 17 years ago
The Jackalx2kMerciless Creations is now in charge of the sound department. They will help us since they seem to have more experience there. =)

Woohoooo *me cries of happiness* :dance: :dance: }> }> old news but anyway good news :)

=strat= Corelli

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

21st August 2003

0 Uploads

13 Posts

0 Threads

#9 17 years ago

Yeah I mentioned this in another thread and it was regarding tanks specifically. I couldn't hear their engines rumbling almost right next to me. I'd die before I'd even know it was there.

Quercus

Cocoa-Banana

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

63 Posts

0 Threads

#10 17 years ago
The Jackalx2kMerciless Creations is now in charge of the sound department. They will help us since they seem to have more experience there. =)

Oh no, no, no. Please don't let them use their exaggerated sounds in FH. That was one reason I stopped updating Merciless, because their sounds (the gun shots and explosions) were far to loud, overpowering and had far too much bass. They also (as at last count) hadn't fixed the lag problems their sound system created.

Don't get me wrong, I love Merciless and their texture work is amazing, but frankly I would rather keep the FH sounds. Please don't let them ruin the sounds .. please ...

/* me runs off sobbing */