medhonor

A.K.A. Chaos Marine

50 XP

1st January 2003

0 Uploads

506 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

When i'm playing dod with 20 players my game lags as hell!:( I have a cable connection, the screen resolution is set to 800x600, 900mhz pentium 3 256mb ram geforce2. My system specs are good enough to play hl without lag... But it lags like hell!:mad: What can i do? do i need a better connection?:confused:

medhonor

A.K.A. Chaos Marine

50 XP

1st January 2003

0 Uploads

506 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

i was to late for editing... GameSpy tells me that my ping is only 50ms but it is 450! It only lags when i see the enemy...:(

Army 25

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

28th December 2002

0 Uploads

9 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

yeah i played DOD once before and it lagged like hell when i seen my buddy over "LAN"

my sys is:

P4 2.66 GForce 4

so i quit playin it after i couldn't get it fixed :(

Vassili Z_superior

Addicted to GF

50 XP

7th May 2003

0 Uploads

507 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

This is a Half Life fourm. post HL stuff here!!!

Vanthem

Medic With A Baseball Bat

50 XP

10th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,151 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

[COLOR=burlywood]Half-Life mod talk is perfectly fine, Vassili. They're an important part of the game's longevity.[/COLOR]

WW2BOY

Bizatch

50 XP

5th January 2003

0 Uploads

362 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

But this isnt Half life forums ITS HALF LIFE 2! LOL!!!!

Vassili Z_superior

Addicted to GF

50 XP

7th May 2003

0 Uploads

507 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago
Originally posted by Vanthem [COLOR=burlywood]Half-Life mod talk is perfectly fine, Vassili. They're an important part of the game's longevity.[/COLOR]

haha, im sorry. i didnt understand that they were talking about a HL mod. sorry:p

Vanthem

Medic With A Baseball Bat

50 XP

10th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,151 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

[COLOR=silver]

But this isnt Half life forums ITS HALF LIFE 2! LOL!!!!

WW2Boy... you clicked the wrong link. This is the Half-Life forum... The Half-Life 2 forums are over there. We have the best of both worlds. :cool: Click this and you'll see what I'm talkin' about http://www.gamingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=520 [/COLOR]

Traxil

Ownzoring and making mods

50 XP

29th March 2003

0 Uploads

394 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

K. I can help you. As a fellow owner of a crappy computer I know what you can do to make the gaming performance much better. I own a pIII 800 with 384 PC133 ram. Really crappy as hell but my ping is normally around the 80's. Now my internet connection blows chunks in every aspect and so does my computer so here is my advice to stay away from your 400 ping nightmare.

Hardware wise I would advise you to get some more ram. 512 is a perfect number. It is over and above what you need but you can really feel a jump in performance from this cheap upgrade. If you can spend a little more money get a new vid card. I recommend ati but some people swear by their Nvidea cards. There seems to always be a good price on the 9700 pro. It isn't the best card around but it is right up there and it will last a lot longer than your gforce 2 will. Plus if you get a new computer you actually could have a reason to import the 9700 into your new computer :lol: .

The simplist and cheapest options:

Scrap gamespy. I hate it. I can see if you pay for it but why? Really what is the point? I recommend The All Seeing Eye (ASE). Hands down, it is the best program for this nature. It pretty much is add free and you can get by on the trial version just fine.

None the less you should set filters for the lowest ping in your program. Not the most people because that will only get you into problems because there are so many fluxes in high player servers (a good thing about ASE is it tells you the flux). When you have the lowest pings filtered just look for say a 20 person server with a very low ping and flux. Also if you can choose servers in or near your location. I cant remember if gamespy does let u know but ase does.

Lastly, if you still experience lag open up your task manager. I will explain Windows Xp. Make sure no processes are running that are over 20,000k if so you should probably close them (if explorer is higher dont end it, if you do you'll figure out why not to). Lastly make sure that your cpu usage is less than 20%. This can be lessened by computer processes that you end, half of them just work in the background without you knowing it.

Oh ya, I wouldnt worry about your connection. These days there is little difference between cable here and there.

That's about all I can do to help.

medhonor

A.K.A. Chaos Marine

50 XP

1st January 2003

0 Uploads

506 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Thx for the help traxil