Safe-Keeper

Aw, c'mon Cyan, it's quality!

50 XP

28th September 2004

0 Uploads

1,225 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

As we all know, EA Games and DICE have some time ago announced a new addition to the Battlefield series. This has annoyed many people (such as moi), who feel it's too close on the heels of the last release (Battlefield 2).

But the question is: If I am to start a Total Conversion project today, which platform is the best? Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 2142?

I'd have to say 2142 myself as it'd mean the TC would be in the works from the start, rather than being "just another new mod started years after release". 2142 is bound to have more exciting features, too (the invisibility thing is intriguing).

What do you think?

Hawk_345

BF-Korea beta tester

50 XP

23rd April 2006

0 Uploads

1,407 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

yes, but think of it this way, once BF2142 is out, than Ea will mostlikely start on another game, as it has always done befor, so basically you cant win no mater what you do.

Safe-Keeper

Aw, c'mon Cyan, it's quality!

50 XP

28th September 2004

0 Uploads

1,225 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago
yes, but think of it this way, once BF2142 is out, than Ea will mostlikely start on another game

I don't see EA doing that. It'd be so unlike their traditional strategy that it'd greatly surprise me (;)).

I still think you should wait for 2142, though. Yes, a year after it's out EA and DICE will announce the BF MMOFPS, BF 2242, Battlefield EA Cash Machine, or some other sequel to make as much money as possible.

However, you'll still be one of the first mods out if you start on/before release date, and that makes it worth waiting for the game.

My two cents.

SciComHam

Now with more red

50 XP

28th November 2004

0 Uploads

935 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

I'd say go for BF2, because people already have it and it has lower specs, plus the editor is already out, and 2142 really doesn't look as though it has many new features.

Nice Guy

Trimming bushes. Since 1992.

50 XP

30th December 2004

0 Uploads

318 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

i think its best to make material for bf2 and then optionally port to bf2142. u can't loose almost anything.

Hawk_345

BF-Korea beta tester

50 XP

23rd April 2006

0 Uploads

1,407 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

and 2142, is not going to seel as much as bf2, i can tell you taht, every forrum i go to there is a thread saying not going to buy 2142 and theres like 10 pages of people saying their not going to buy it so mods are beter off in bf2, alos if they do make another game after 2142, it might be about the wars they missed like korea and the gulf, and ww1 or maybe redo vietnam, or ww2, at least i hope thats wat they do.

Dark Saint

How many dogs are Pb'd?Maybe 2

50 XP

30th April 2004

0 Uploads

8,040 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago
Safe Keeper Yes, a year after it's out EA and DICE will announce the BF MMOFPS, BF 2242, Battlefield EA Cash Machine, or some other sequel to make as much money as possible. However, you'll still be one of the first mods out if you start on/before release date, and that makes it worth waiting for the game. My two cents.

Sooo.... When is a good time for them to announce another game.... two years after ? three years after? How often should they make a new game ? as often as a rapper puts out a new album? Give me a break, of course it is for them to churn out games to make money, thatis what they do. To make money to stay in business. It's like asking FORD to stop charging for the cars they have made cause they are coming out with next years model. Or asking them to hold off on 2k6 because they just made 2k5. Come on here guys. Come up with something better than this please. I know that's your two cents, and if that is the case? you have change coming.

SciComHam

Now with more red

50 XP

28th November 2004

0 Uploads

935 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

I think they should at least fix the bugs in their last game before moving on to the next one.

Oh, and as for announcing their next game, 7 years seems to work fine (half life 2) lol

=7DR=von.small

for hire

50 XP

4th August 2005

0 Uploads

256 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Don't BF2 and BF2142 utilise the same game engine therefore the current mods sould be portable content from a BF2 platform to the BF2142 platform, IF you wanted to do that of course? I'm not sure BF2142 really brings that many new features to the table, the new game mode 'Titan' perhaps, but then I can't see how this could be applicable to the WW2 genre? Perhaps in the Pacific campaigns maybe - each commander has an aircraft carrier... but for all I know the FH2 devs (god bless em) are doing away with the BF2 style commander an returning us to our glory days where we never knew where 'they - the enemy' would come from. Hail the days waiting on the Tobruk frontline, knowing that tanks would be approaching, but not knowing when or from where exactly, no sweeping red-dots for me thanks, just a few lucky strike and the ability to be the wrong guy in the worng place at the wrong time, thats my game, man.

MiyamotoMusashi

C4'r of tanks everywhere

50 XP

23rd July 2005

0 Uploads

82 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago
It's like asking FORD to stop charging for the cars they have made cause they are coming out with next years model

It's more like asking Ford to make a higher quality more competetively priced car or i'm going to buy a Honda. Which is just what happened and that's why Ford's stock is in the tank.

That being said, you can't blame EA for wanting to make as much money as they can as often as they can, they aren;t in business for charity. I think every two to three years is fine as long as they provide adequate support for thier product until the release of the newer game.

I'd stick to BF2, but what do i know, i'm not a modder. I just work in a junkyard and play BF2.:smokin: