Hello all. Very soon a friend of mine will be buying Battlefield 2 and we hope to engage in some online combat against bots! We used to both do this in Counterstike source but after purchasing Battlefield 2 we think this would be a much better game to play against bots together. Normally it would be myself that would host the games and we both join and commence battle. after doing some investigation it appears i won't be able to host and play at the same time in battlefield 2 with the mods i mentioned in the title. is this correct?!? I have also read a simple suggestion that noted that i could create a singleplayer game and give my friend the ip and he could connect via ip. surely its not that simple!!? is it? if it is that simple why bother with the additional mods? any help or advice would be appriciated.
1) No that's not correct, you can host and play at the same time.
2) using the SP gamemode and him joining by IP is the ONLY way for the two of you to play against bots.
3) The current SP in the release allows only 16 bots and very small maps, the mods increase the size of the maps, add extra hardware and more bots.
cool thanks for the response, can i just ask a couple of questions to your points. 1. do you mean i can host and play the mods on the same pc? from what i read this is not possible! i even downloaded the WCC COOP mod and installed correctly but when i host a server, the main game will not load up allow me to play on it. 2. I thought if you loaded a game this way it was only LAN compatible with bots not over the internet! is this wrong? 3. this point makes sense, so i could create a game as in point 2 using the mods and not have to create a seperate hosting server, is that right? thanks for your help i was getting worried we wouldnt be able to play!!
Lets try and get things clearer.
1) Despite what the mod name says, at the moment THERE IS NO COOP IN BF2, the only way to play against bots is using SP mode. So you start a SP game and your friend joins using the IP address, so you are hosting and playing the game at the same time.
2) Yes it is wrong, if you know the internet IP address of your friend you can join a SP game on his computer, however the correct prots will have to be forwarded to his computer if he is using a router, or he can run his router in bridged mode. I have done this using SP mode with a friend.
3) See point one, the mods only modify the existing SP game, you have using point one method.
This is quite clear in the readme for the mods.
This mod will allow humans versus bots to play each other. Game mode is SP1. While coop is unofficially supported by EA, the ability to join a singleplayer game by IP is available. Patched and unpatched game versions are supported. What does the WCC Coop mod do? Weapons, land vehicles, aircraft, and soldiers have received a complete makeover. Maps have been expanded for larger game play and spawnable areas. WCC Coop Mod For Battlefield 2 currently supports Windows only. The mod will self-extract to the desired directory.