ATI Mobility RADEON 9000/9100 IGP prob. -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 13 years ago

Okay, I have a brand new laptop with more than enough processor and RAM, but the video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 IGP. I get the same thing: Intro box comes up, black screen, crash to desktop. According to the official site, I need an ATI above 8500. Is there a driver somewhere that I need to download? Does anybody know? The ATI website only mentions some Catalyst software when you look into RADEON drivers. Is that it? Please help. I'm going crazy. I WANT TO PLAY!

Pethegreat VIP Member

Lord of the Peach

70 XP

19th April 2004

0 Uploads

20,892 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

It does not have pixel shader 1.4 in the hardware. It won't run at all. Upgrade;)

Big_Daddy

I follow teh Moo!

50 XP

5th August 2004

0 Uploads

698 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

I'd say upgrading is out of the question with his "brand new laptop" :P But....does it have 128mb of vid memory or 64?

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago
Big_DaddyI'd say upgrading is out of the question with his "brand new laptop" :P But....does it have 128mb of vid memory or 64?

Agreed, the mobility Radeon is built onto the motherboard, the only possible upgrade path is to replace the motherboard with new one with a Mobility Radeon 9600 or better OR GeForce Go 5700 or better. Hmm, probably cheaper to buy a new laptop!

There is a specific list of ATI vid cards that is fully supported, and that's because when ATI brought out their models they actually based new models on older chipsets, so just becuase you have a higher number doesn't mean you have a better chipset, it may actually be a tweaked version of the previous chipset. For instance the mobility radeon 9000 is a tweaked version of the 8500 designed to be easier to integrate onto motherboards, while the 9100 is supposed to be a cut down version of the 9200, the two aren't usually referred to in the same breath.

There is still a chance you could play BF2, but not with the drivers delivered with your Laptop, and using ATI generic drivers may render some functions of your laptop unusable because laptop makers tweak the vid drivers to suit the display. Good luck.

AK

:smokin:

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 13 years ago

It has 128 MB, but it sounds as though I'm f---ed. That really sucks. I bought the damn thing only about four months ago. I am really pissed. Is it possible that a driver will come out in the near future, or am I just screwed because of the hardware?