PNY Geforce 6600 256MB crashing -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 14 years ago

whenever I play bf2 the game slow to a low fps every so often and freezes up randomly (sometimes so badly I need to hard-reset the machine completely)

I used to have a FX5700LE which ran fine 800x600/low

however now I have the 6600 I can run 1024x768/high and it runs 30fps+ some of the time. I've tried it on 800x600/medium & high and 1024x768/medium with no difference

I've read up through several forums about the 6600 and the various problems people think they have mainly being resolved by upgrading hardware and/or decreasing video settings. Also read about overheating issues which I would agree with as the card is hot when I touch the heatsink arround 50-60c I would guess. Apparently this is normal heat for them, but I put a desk fan on it and it reduced it to room ambient pretty much and the game still crashes.

I have tried all of this and it has not enabled me to play for long periods of time (more than an hour)

Spec: Asus P4P800SE Mobo Enermax 485W PSU P4 3.2Ghz/800Mhz CPU 1GB Corsair XL3200PRO CL2225 Ram PNY Geforce 6600 256MB Gfx card Pioneer 107 & Pioneer 109 DVD-Drives 2xWesternDigital Caviar 120GB ATA133 HDDs 1xMaxtor 300Gb SATA HDD (BF2 Drive)

if anyone has any idea what may be causing this and if possible any way to resolve it I would be very interested to know.

Thanx in advance

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 14 years ago

U tried installing the drivers on the bf2 cd's/dvd ? 50-60c is pretty much, i got 30c alltime and running the game with all settings on max and 1024x768 with aa 4x with around 50-60fps alltime. Probably drivers or too much heat (some cards are resistant for heat others not)

Dark Saint

How many dogs are Pb'd?Maybe 2

50 XP

30th April 2004

0 Uploads

8,040 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

The history of the drivers that were released for the 6600 cards on the cd/dvd: No good.... they had to come out with a different set .. Geforce dropped the ball on that one. If the card is heating up and you are getting slow downs and such, then yes heat would be the issue. Try putting a house fan next to the case while it is open and play the game. Throttle back your draw distance in the game to between 70 and 80%

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago
MerrickDSIf the card is heating up and you are getting slow downs and such, then yes heat would be the issue. Try putting a house fan next to the case while it is open and play the game.

He's already done that Merrick. I have used, and indeed am using a 6600, with no problems on my machine, it's a dual core AMD with 2 120Gb SATA HDD's in RAID.

I also think it is heat however, but not the vid card, the CPU, the P4's will throttle down as they start getting hotter, hence your slowdowns, and if they get to hot they will crash if the BIOS settings aren't set correctly. Try it again, and next time it crashes go immediately into the BIOS and check the CPU temp in the system monitor and let us know what it is at, also make sure that the overheat shutdown temp is not to high, it may be locking up before it gets that high.

BTW 70c is getting to hot for a vidcard, anything above 80c is to hot for CPU, but your P4 should idle around 55-60, maybe slighty less, and get up to 65-75 under load.

AK

:smokin:

deftond

Covert_Commando

50 XP

30th October 2004

0 Uploads

201 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

WellI have got a p5p800 asus mbo and an intel processor it idles 35c gets to 50-60 at the highest ever with a stock fan. Do you have your cpu overclocked? Sometimes it will cause errors with your memory as well. and cause exessive heat. Every component will heat up. Do you have asus ai booster? I have it and it always tells me what everything is set at. Definatly check your bios. Make sure its set to agp 256 if its agp. Make sure the memory is set right and not on memory acceleration mode. Update your vid card drivers, .net framework 2.0 and the new dx download. i have noticed and increase in performance. You should be fine. I run a ati 9800pro 256 card and it did sometimes restart my machine. I have anti aliasing on 2x aniostropic on 8x(in ati software) ive got dynamic shadows and light off(no more jagfed shadows) and it runs really well my draw distance is on 100%

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#6 14 years ago

thx loads for all your replies guys, am sure if people are looking for ideas it will help.

last night I tested the gfx settings at 800x600/low to see how it ran and I managed to 'survive' for a good few rounds! I then went through all the options and canceled out which options didn't cause it to crash and I found that the "Lighting" setting, when set to anything but LOW would cause me to crash. Later I tried everything else on full blast and it runs like a dream!

well anyway its sortof fixed now (not sure if this warants taking back to manufacturer) so thats the main thing

thx for your help anyway

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 14 years ago

by the way I am still getting a large ammount of faults with this card just not bf quiting out regularly or fps dropping

just last night I exited through the console and my machine reset then refused to boot past the BIOS message

required replacing gfx card with another, clearing the bios then re-inserting the 6600

Dark Saint

How many dogs are Pb'd?Maybe 2

50 XP

30th April 2004

0 Uploads

8,040 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

take it back there is something wrong .