Problem I have with BF2 (also noticed in BF:1942 and BF:V) -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 13 years ago

I am having a problem trying to play games in multiplayer mode with BF2. I can play single player games fine, but when I try to start a multiplayer game of BF2 it freezes right after the map loads. After the game freezes I cannot alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del out of the application, thus making me have to do a cold boot from the box. I also have this problem with BF:1942 and BF:V. I play wwiiol and World of Warcraft just fine without any lockups, so I have tested other online games. In fact, I played WoW for more then 12 hours and didn't get a single crash or lockup. My Specs... I am using an Alienware FX-55 cpu, 2 gigs of ram, a geForce 6800 Ultra, Soundblaster Audigy, 160 gig harddrive. My soundcard and video card are both using the latest drivers. I am also using the most current BIOS for my motherboard. Some things that I have tried... * For all 3 games, I have uninstalled and reinstalled them. * Tried running BF2 without the latest 1.02 patch and also with it. * Was having a problem in the past with checksum offload enabled while playing WoW. I also still had the problem with the multiplayer lockups while having this feature enabled and disabled when playing BF2, BF:1942 and BF:V. * Made sure I was using DirectX 9c * At one point I thought I had some problems with my RAM. I tested all chips for 12 hours each using a memory diagnostics tool. * Had Alienware replace my motherboard * I have 2 geForce 6800 Ultra cards (Only one is installed, as I took one out since I was going to use SLI till I found out how many problems it had). I tested both cards in both PCI-E slots. * Made sure to have the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard. * Disabled all firewalls I'm trying to figure out if it is something I need to disable or enable on my machine that is causing a conflict with the netcode in all 3 Battlefield games. For anyone who has a solution for me, I would be very happy to hear it. Thanks

OneTinSoldier

Circular Error ProbabilityZero

50 XP

23rd October 2004

0 Uploads

465 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

Welcome to the FileFront Gaming Forums Direhawk. :) Well, this could be a head scratcher. I'll bet there is a solution for this problem! I just wish I knew right off the bat just what the solution is. Besides ALT+TAB and CTRL+ALT+DEL have you tried ALT+F4? Just curious. You have the latest chipset drivers installed. Good. Do you have an onboard NIC?(Network Interface Card, Ethernet Card). If so, perhaps the lastest drivers for it are contained in the chipset drivers. If not, make sure you have the lastest driver for it installed. For instance, I have an Intel Chipset and an Intel onboard NIC. But the drivers for the NIC are not contained in the chipset drivers and are are a separate download. Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard installed? What kind of connection do you have? Cable or DSL? When you are trying to play online MP are you logged in as Adminstrator? In the Game Options do you have EAX enabled? Some people have claimed to have problems with it enabled. Personally EAX works fine for me. Hopefully Apocalypse_kid will read this and have some ideas for you. One last thing I'm cuorious about, checksum offload. Do you know what that is? Do you have ECC Registered RAM and is that the same thing as Disabling/Enabling ECC in the BIOS? In my old system that has ECC RAM the BIOS setting is just Enable/Disable ECC and I'm wondering if Checksum Offload is what this setting is called on your system. Regards, OneTinSoldier System Specs: Intel 3.4C(C = Northwood Core) on Asus P4C800-E Deluxe(Intel 875P + ICH5R Chipset), Zalman 7000a-Cu HS/Fan, Enermax RG651P-VE 550W PSU, 1 GB Mushkin High Performance(2-2-2) Dual Channel PC3200 RAM, NEC MultiSync FE2111SB 21" CRT Monitor, Sapphire Radeon X800 XT PE Videocard with v5.6 Catalyst Drivers, DirectX 9.0c, Creative Audigy2 Platinum Soundcard with Creative OpenAL Beta Driver, 250 GB w/8 MB Cache Western Digital HDD, Comcast Cable Internet Connection, WinXP Pro SP2

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 13 years ago

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can get this solved because i'm running out of ideas.

I tried ALT-F4 as well this time and was unable to bring the computer out of the freeze. I wish it would at least show an error message so I had something to go on! I have an onboard NIC. I am using an A8N-SLI Asus board. When I stopped using SLI I made sure to switch the physical chip to single GPU mode. I have been using the nForce drivers and they come with the ethernet driver in the package. I actually have 2 NICs on my board, one is the nForce and another that is a Yukkon (sp?). I do have the latest BIOS for my motherboard. I am using a cable modem for my connection. When I play MP games I am logged in as the admin. In fact I am the only user on this machine. The EAX option you mentioned, I will have to try that out and see how it works. I will report back with the results. Checksum offload is an option in my advance NIC properties that takes a true or false value. If true then I believe what it does is takes some of the toll off of the NIC when checking packets and does it software based instead. If off, then it does the versa. Then again, I am sure there is more to it then that but when I turned it off, it let me run World of Warcraft without crashing in Ironforge. With it turned on... the character's nameplates above their heads would read "Unknown Entity".

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 13 years ago

I unchecked the option to use EAX. The problem is still there after starting a multiplayer game. :bawl:

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

Hi mate, be sure to check your two NIC's. I know for a fact that my onboard nforce NIC causes big problems with BF2 on my LAN, but changing over to the onboard Intel Gbit NIC without adjusting anything else fixed it all! A lot of the nforce onboard NIC's come with a built in hardware firewall which CANNOT be disabled, so check through your BIOS for anything to do with that. Other things to try, disable DEP for everything but essential windows services, it doesn't cause me any problems but it may be conflicting with your network drivers.

It certainly appears to be network related, the freeze is quite likely your computer waiting for a response from the server. Have you tried connecting, waiting for it to freeze, then walking away for a while to see if it comes back to life, if it IS waiting for a response the netcode should eventually time out the connection attempt and return you to the menu.

AK

:smokin:

Blitz Krieger

Veritas Vincit

50 XP

4th December 2002

0 Uploads

390 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

I had the same problem with mine just after release,but it seems to have gone away after I patched it.