p99

Oh hell no!

50 XP

20th April 2004

0 Uploads

37 Posts

0 Threads

#31 14 years ago

Alrighty, thanks. Hopefully linux with be able to do the same with disabling sound, cause I am really sick of windows as thats all I've ever used. I've heard that linux is hard at first but once you get it down it's solid and stable.

p99

Oh hell no!

50 XP

20th April 2004

0 Uploads

37 Posts

0 Threads

#32 14 years ago

Can PC windows games work on on linux?

Guns4Hire

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

22nd September 2002

0 Uploads

15,559 Posts

0 Threads

#33 14 years ago
p99Can PC windows games work on on linux?

NO If you are new to Linux, I strongly advise running it on another machine to practice. Windows 2000 PRo is stable as hell, why would you want to go to Linux? Linux is fine if you are going to run a web server or game server, but for everyday use with Internet multimedia, games ect. I reccomend Windows 2000 PRO. Good luck either way man, there are many Linux help boards out there. Are you familiar with the command line? I hope so ;)

p99

Oh hell no!

50 XP

20th April 2004

0 Uploads

37 Posts

0 Threads

#34 14 years ago

Windows 2000 Pro is marginally more stable than other operating systems but still isn't very stable and solid. And with the PC games, I'd have to go out and buy the linux version?

Padre

Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps.

50 XP

27th March 2004

0 Uploads

617 Posts

0 Threads

#35 14 years ago

You got it. You'd need the linux version of everything you want to use.

Well that's not 100% accurate.. you can get WIN emulation software to run WIN apps, but not games (from what I've been told). It's called PCQLinux but that's all I know about it. I'd stick with Win2K unless you really like command line stuff. I stopped using that in 95. I've been running Win2K Pro for quite a while now and really haven't had stability issues that weren't my own damned fault (ie uninstalling critical files - oops). People like to slam Windows about stability but hey - at least it's not a Mac ;)

Ender Wiggin

Quis custodiet ipsos custodies

50 XP

17th April 2004

0 Uploads

327 Posts

0 Threads

#36 14 years ago

Beef Flaps gave you the advice I was going to give: put Linux onto another machine to learn it. If you're building a new machine, then use your current (which will then be your old one) to learn it. Yes, Linux is pretty stable and the community is really strong. But, seeing as how you want to make a machine that will run BFV, then you really have no choice (right now) than to go with a Windows based machine (yes, I know there is software out there that can let you run Win-based programs on a Linux box... but for someone who's never used a Linux machine before, this still may not be the wisest choice).

Win2k and WinXP are the best and most stable OS' I've ever used in the Windows family. Absolutely nothing wrong with making a gaming machine with either of them installed. Now, it sounds to me like you've got a lot more to learn about building a machine before you actually try and do so, IMO. You asked if the BIOS comes on the Soyo motherboard and yes, of course it does. Every mothboard ships with a BIOS chip (yeah, okay... I too can think of the extremely rare exception). My ultimate suggestion to you is this: buy components and have someone you know build it for you while you watch and learn (or, have them look over your shoulder while you learn). Trust me, I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying this on your own... it's how the majority of us learned. Read as much as you can about PC components in general and make sure you have a fairly good grasp on the basics and then consider yourself good to go.

Ssg Heinrico Wilhelm

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

6th June 2004

0 Uploads

3 Posts

0 Threads

#37 14 years ago

windows xp is awseome looking, and is stable, and is expensive, but it is worth it.