Please dont double post. Use the edit button.
Hey Papa, here's a little clip I just did while making some test runs using demo record and Fraps afterward to convert to avi. This will show you a little of what the Reailty mod plays like and it's all rifle only on Vet as per the topic. I tried to show the gore effects as much as possible but unfortunately didn't get any of the vomit and blood spit effects, which are very gruesome sounding.
I was having a lot of trouble getting demo record to work well, which is why you can't see the rifle I'm carrying at the start until I use iron sights. I hope it's not a conflict with Reality or my mini mod because the game on it's own plays fine and very stable with both. This is in 16:10 widescreen and is an avi made using VirtualDub, Xvid and LAME.
It will play in Windows Media Player just fine. The recording I made using Fraps while playing the demo was originally only 512x320 but the above tools worked so well I resized it to 800x500. Normally I wouldn't go that much larger but the image quality came out pretty good.
When you make a video using no zoom on the iron sights and do distance shooting you need to make the video fairly large in size. If I could get Game Cam to record the demo clip I'd probably be able to capture to a larger size than 512x320, probably more like 640x400.
As it was, Fraps was choking just to record the demo playing without the game running at a 25 FPS capture setting. The frame rates were varying from about 22-25. Fortunately Fraps is recording audio in sync for me now though, whether recording the demo or in game. It never did that before on my system with any game.
I guess if I can't get demo record to work well I can make the recordings with Fraps in game, though it's hard to get it to stay at 25 FPS. I just don't want to uninstall these nice mods, and the trial and error of using demo record as is has been a real time consuming affair.
I have windows media player. Hmmm, I have sound but no video. just those colored sounds thing. I also have Fraps, but have never tried doing a video. I use "Howies' screen capture" utility for screen shots & like it fine. I'll try re-downloading it & see if that makes a difference.
PapaG39;3380660I'll try re-downloading it & see if that makes a difference.
Wait, hold off on that re-downloading, it might not be not necessary, I may know what it is. Open Media Player, if you still are using Media Player 10 just go to the bar at the top and click on Tools>Options>File Types. Then look in the window of file types and make sure Windows video file (avi) is checked, it should be about the 6th one down on the list.
If you're using the new Media Player 11, you need to right click on the top part of the player's skin to open a menu where you can click Tools, etc.
I'm pretty sure that should make it play the video in Media Player, it's just a type of avi file similar to what Fraps makes. In some cases with certain file types like Divx you have to install a codec of the type the video was made with but that's not typically the case when the file type is an option in Media Player's file types list.
If it doesn't play, you can install the Xvid codec. This site, which is actually listed on Microsoft's site, has that plug-in, but the version they show is outdated. I just showed you this link so you'll know anything they have there is safe to use in Media Player. (Xvid is listed under Top Skins>Most Popular Plug-ins) http://www.wmplugins.com/
You can get the later version of Xvid here: Xvid v1.1.2
I re-downloaded the file & also upgraded to windows media player 11, but it still won't give me a visual viewing.
Wow...I got it to work..Just had to download Xvid. Very nice. you are much faster at this then I am. while I'm still thinking about what to do your already through. Very good video. Well, dang...I gotta get my ol A** in gear & head for work. catch u tomorrow.
Thanks, glad youy liked it and got it to play. I guess I forgot that some types of avi files Media Player won't play by default, but the Divx and Xvid plug-ins for Media Player are getting quite common and easy to install. It doesn't seem to be as picky about audio though. I did the audfio in Mp3 format but with LAME.
I just wish I could get the demo record function of the game to work consistently. Even if I do I'll probably be making the videos using fairly fast run through gameplay where I can to keep the file sizes down. I find there are a few key things in getting your objectives completed fast.
1) First take out any enemies you know will try to immediately ambush or flank you. If your squad so much as gets distracted by them momentarily they generally stand up and turn to shoot at them, getting mowed down by those they were previously shooting at.
2) Use grenades to clear rooms that you know have more than one enemy, grenades are plentifull in the game, might as well use them.
3) Shoot from the hip at close range and be ready to rifle butt. This allows you to move quicker when you need to, iron sights aiming can really slow you down.
4) Use corners well by leaning around them and stepping out for each shot or burst, then back, it makes it easier to reload without getting shot. Running into rooms and taking cover behind corners can make it easier to flank enemies too, just be careful where and when you do it.
5) Plan where to use your 4 smoke grenades well and aim and time the throwing of them precisely. It helps a lot if you have a mouse with multiple buttons which you can assign a couple buttons for grenades, one for frags and one for smoke. That way you can easily and quickly aim and throw them and quickly duck for cover after.
6) Use Crouch rather than Go to Crouch (toggle crouch). I like to bind my Shift key to Crouch and Ctlr to Melee. Shift is easily reachable while using your W, A, S, D, keys. Though you must hold it down to use Crouch vs Go to Crouch, it makes getting up and moving a lot quicker. Just let go and you're up and ready to run if a grenade comes flying at you. This comes into play quite a bit when you remove the onscreen grenade indicators. It also makes running to an exact spot then crouching easy, whereas with toggle crouch you can sometimes crouch too soon and be moving too slow to get to your cover.
7) Press forward as soon as opportunity allows, staying back too long will only give the enemy a chance to flank, grenade, and rush you. Take the Blitz out of Blitzkrieg so to speak.;)
One thing I forgot to tell you about the Reality mod that you will probably like a lot is the run speed is increased slightly. It makes a noticable difference and I find it's a bit more realistic too. IMO the only thing his mod really could be improved by are the minor changes I added in removing the HUD and iron sights zoom, and adding grenade cookoff. Though I'm also looking forward to making that rifle/pistol only mod as well if I can find out how.