The cream of the crop
20th August 2003
post things you have found to work best when playing CoD or CoD:UO. (if there is one of these threads already, Prae, just close this one and send me away ashamed. thanks :))
note, these are my oppinions. not set in stone truths.
1. ive found practicing with rifles, even if it damages your scores, really helps when it comes to using SMGs like the MP40/44 later on. with a rifle, you always want a good shot and it is harder since you have to load another round in(unless its the Garand). using irons correctly with SMGs, expecially the Mp44, will make you a force to be wary of. even against snipers. - i am reckless and will try and take out snipers with my SMG often. it works a good ammount too-
2. when it comes to using SMGs for long range shots, always shoot one or two rounds at a time. i try and aim for the midsection and with the kick, it can become a headshot rather easily.
3. if you have the chance to melee an enemy, dont pass that up. melee is very good when you are flanking. ive been the victim of flankers melee quite a few times. i die, and then watch him procede to smash each one of my allies heads in putty without alerting any one of them until it is far too late.
4. when you are low on ammunition, or have a problem with going into battle with less than 30 rounds(or whatever your gun may have), going prone on the move is a great thing. it's best not to go out of your way for this stratgety, but rather, whatever is on the way you are going to. while running todward a crate, i will press reload and hit prone at the same time, and right when the business is finished i get up and go ahead to kill the enemy. (can be of use in a firefight when the ammo runs low and a reload is needed. )
here are some useful tips i found on the internet:
1) Keep moving, but not too much. What does that mean? Keep reading.
2) NEVER run out into the open without adequate cover for protection.
3) Move cover-to-cover.
4) Unless you're running for you life, stay crouched. This enables you to move close to enemies without them hearing you coming. It also makes you less obvious.
5) NEVER stay in one spot too long. Camping is fine. It is a legitimite defensive combat tactic. But, you should never stay in one spot for too long, lest you risk being found out and ambushed. Shoot and move. I never stay in one spot for more than 2 or 3 kills (with certain exceptions).
6) If you start off with a rifle, pick up a MG or SMG. If you start with a MG or SMG, pick up a rifle. Practice and learn to switch between the two quickly depending on the situation.
7) Never charge into closed quarters with a rifle.
8) Never fire your weapon unless you are firing at an enemy. Doing so gives away your position and the position of your teammates.
9) With rifles, aim for the head.
10) With MGs, aim for the torso, as the kick from the gun will send sunsequent bullets above where you actually aim.
11) When using MGs, don't just spray and pray (especially at long distance targets. Fire short bursts, reset your aim, and repeat 'till they're disposed of.
12) When using a rifle, don't try to dance around your opponent and fire at the same time. You'll almost never score a kill. Success is more likely if you stop, aim, and get off a headshot quickly.
13) Know the maps. Know the cutoff points and all of the hiding spots for snipers.
14) Check known sniper posts as often as possible (like on top of the water tower on Depot).
15) Never stand directly in front of an open window. Stand at an angle as close to the wall or other cover as possible. It is also a good idea to stand back from the window a bit.
16) Don't forget to go prone when the situation calls for it. MOH players often forget this, as it was not available in MOH.
17) It is not necessary to go charging after or follow an enemy who happens to cross your path. It is a bad idea actually, as they are usuall running towards more of their teammates. Follow them and you're likely to be staring down the barrel of 3-5 pissed off Nazis.
18) Use your grenades to flush out rooms if there is a possibility that an enemy is inside. This is war, but safety first (lol).
19) Be careful about throwing grenades where you have teammates. Also, learn to aim your grenades through high windows and other openings. Learn to bank them off of walls and around corners.
20) Have fun!
feel free to add on with your thoughts.
I'm way cooler than n0e (who isn't though?)
27th May 2004
No matter how hard I try I get killed! I have my good and bad days though. My highest score is 72, and that was me vs 2 noobs with a sniper rifle. Youd think standing out on a completely open map would give you away. youd think?
GF Pwns Me!
26th January 2004
Master the art of nading. Especially in UO with cooking. I can hit any radio position in HQ from almost anywhere on a map (smaller ones of course) with a stielhandgranate and have it explode the moment it hits the ground. Practice and you can do it too. If you get cooking down well enough and you're good at dodging bullets, you wont lose a CQB if you have a nade. Also for the Tommy and MP44, you're probably better off not using iron sights IMHO. The crosshairs are tight enough. Just put your crosshair on a target and fire at a fairly quick rate at semi auto. I never do bursts, but "rapid semi auto." Also, I don't remember how it was in CoD regular. But in UO, the BAR is almost too easy to use. Aim down the sights with it always.
excellent posts - thanks. i need all the help i can get. btw - i find the bar has too much recoil for effective automatic fire. also, my physical mouse set-up is critical. i use a logitech/laser/optical on my desk. i set it up fast and sensitive, but find that i have to periodically polish my desk with furniture polish to smooth the physical movement of the mouse. when all is well, physically and mentally, i can aim down the sight with rifles - fast and accurate. when something's off i just use smg's and flank/sneak/spray.
The Old Man
4th September 2004
For all the people that have 56k, here are some things I have learned through my experiences: 1.When looking for a server, find the servers with the lowest ping. A server with a ping of 180-225 is good. 2.Make sure that the server has less then 15 people. 3. Keep track of your ping. When it reaches 400+, leave the server. 4.When you finally find a server where you have a ping of about 300(or less), you know you found a good server. 5. Learn to use the rifle. Using an smg when you have a 300+ ping is hard. 6. Aim well ahead of the guy you trying to shoot at, about 2-3 feet ahead, depending on your ping. What you see on your screen is about a second or two behind other people, so you must compensate for this, by aiming in front of the guy 7. Practice! After a while, you will start getting a feel of how far ahead you need to aim, and you will become a pro at shooting moving targets. 8. Avoid all Rifle servers. The people that go there are mostly experienced players with low ping. 9. Once you have found a good server, stay there. The regulars will start to get to know you better, and are less likely to kick you if you have a high ping. 10.Stay in groups. People with SMG's will be able to fend off the rushers that you may have a hard time hitting.
I post to get attention
28th March 2005
In Brecourt use BAR and you'll win ! My record is 117 there..:D
i wno teh speelingbi!!!!!!!1
25th March 2005
certain maps and certain situations call for different weapons. ask yourself: would i use a sniper on a map like mp_foy? answer: yes
how do you "cook" a grenade?
16th August 2004
xsviolence....you can only do that in UO and you hold the fire button then u hold down the right click button then your crosshairs will pulse in and out and thats the timer.....oh and for a good CoD tip...dont play in a server against me! jk...for a real tip..always reload after uve been in a firefight
WarDog - thanks for the grenade "cook" technique - I'll try it out.
btw - I have played against you (unless someone else has the same handle).
also - I always reload after a firefight - but many times that has found me reloading while an enemy appears and kills me while I'm busy reloading.