constant 999 ping that shouldnt be -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 13 years ago

Hey, I decided that I want to play COD again so I reinstalled it and got all the updates and what not. When I join a server I get a constant 999 ping which is unplayable. Im on DSL and I used to play COD all the time and got a good ping of 30-60. I dont have spyware or virus problems because I keep my system clean, cl_maxpackets is at 100 and snaps is at 40 and I dont know any other cvars that would effect ping, any suggestions?

marvinmatthew

Tech is where you'll find me..

50 XP

13th April 2005

0 Uploads

3,627 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

Since your actually able to connect to the server, it makes me think that it's not a router or firewall problem. Perhaps you might try running SP and see if everything works fine there. But that probably won't help anything. And it wouldn't seam that it's a dirivers problem. Alright, just to make sure, disable the firewall, and connect your computer directly into your high speed modem. Do you have CoD GOTY eddtion, or just regular CoD? I know that GOTY has a large amount of preformance issues. I'm more of a hardware guy, you might need to wait till "Tally," or "highroyds" gets on here to read this, they're the ones who are the best at fixing problems the the CoD game itself (corrupt Pk3 files, preformance problems, etc.).

Tally

COD Über Support

50 XP

20th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,439 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

This may be a PB issue, as it can sometimes take so much of your pc's resources that you get 999 ping. Perform a manual update of PB by downloading pbweb.exe. Get it here: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=updatepb.php Place pbweb.exe in your pb folder (found in the COD directory folder), and double clikc it while connected to the web. It will update itself. Try altering your sound settings. What is it on at the moment? 66MHz? Try it at 44MHz. If it's on 44, try it at 22, etc. You could update your graphics driver. This causes lag if it's struggling. Another thing that may be causing the lag is if you have Vertical Sync enabled. Go to Options > Performance > Sync Every Frame > set to 'No'. How mush RAM do you have? If your pc has to keep using Vertual Memory by spooling info to your hard drive, that can cause lag coz of the drain on resources. Try adjusting hunkmegs to optimize the RAM settings. Here's how: Find the COD 'Main' folder, and find the file config_mp. Open it with Worpad. Press CTRL + F to bring up the search box, and type in 'hunkmeg' If you have 256 (min spec), the default setting will be 60. Alter it to 128, so that you have the setting: seta com_hunkmeg "128" If you have 512 set it to "256", if you have a gig, set it to "512". In other words, whatever your RAM, set hunkmegs to half that. You could also try adjusting you fram rate (unlikely to cause a massive lag though). Again edit the config_mp file. Find 'maxfps' and have this setting: seta com_maxfps "333" Try these things.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 13 years ago

my ping is up to date and my max fps is 125 and ram hunkmeg'd at 512 Ive checked all the initial things that I know of that could cause such lag, also connected my comp directly to cable modem, plus i dont use a firewall

Tally

COD Über Support

50 XP

20th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,439 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

If that's the case then i can only see it as a problem with your cpu running the game, and hence you're getting the lag. But it's prolly the game not the cpu at fault. I would recommend a clean reinstall at this stage. You sound savvie enough so i won't need to tell you how to check the pk3 files sizes as you go. But a reinstall will tell us whether or not its the game.