Acer565

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

6th February 2006

0 Uploads

44 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

i just bought a new system and a new graphics card, a radeon x850XT when i bought this i was tld it cud handle COD at full graphics with DX9 on i can only seem to get about 25 fps average, and turning settings down or off barley increases performance, however i can run max settings + max resolustion on DX7 and get over 200 frames if i dont limit it WHY iS this HAPPENING??? my system: amd athlon 3800+ 1gig ram 160 gig HD ati radeon x850XT sound blaster audigy 4 one thing i thought may be affecting performance is that i dont have the latest drivers yet, could that be the reason? i also have my card OC'd at 580/600 idling at 45, under load at 55 so it obv isnt that my system can't handle it. I can run BF2 at max settings perfectly, which is supposedly a heavier game on systems. Im really confused. Anyone using catylyst drivers know the best settings for COD2?

Tally

COD Über Support

50 XP

20th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,439 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago
i was tld it cud handle COD at full graphics

was that a slip and you meant COD2? if not, then you havent been misled.

as for COD2, it is a dual platform game, better suited for top of the range graphics (SLI or Crossfire at least). the 360 has 3 processors, and the PC version needs dual core (better dual processor) to handle the new graphics in COD2.

Welcome to the party pal!

Acer565

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

6th February 2006

0 Uploads

44 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

is this also why i just ran 3dmark06 and didnt get a framerate above 15 in the firwst 2 tests, and on the third test didnt get anything above 5 fps

if so FLIP

Acer565

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

6th February 2006

0 Uploads

44 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

also, should my system really be getting a 2587 score on 3dmark06? something seems wrong, it might not be as beefy a system as needed to run next gen games but im sure it isnt that bad? I've heard people saying theyve gotten 6000 with this card and a slower processor, what could be wrong

Tally

COD Über Support

50 XP

20th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,439 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

first off - don't use profanity in these forums. The only place you can do that here is in the melee forums. I have edited your post accordingly

second, I don't really know what to advise. bench tests are many and varied. different people go by different ones. these may or may not give indications of what you should expect as regards a particular game and a particular system. I am not an expert on them. I suggest you go do some more varied ones.

in the mean time there are a couple of things you can do to increase FPS (although for the sake of me I cannot understand this obession with FPS - its not the be all and end all):

#1 edit your config_mp file (in player profile folder), and type this:

seta com_maxfps "0" // releases unlimited FPS; final total FPS depends on system

#2 set Sync Every Frame to "off"

#3 set monitor refresh rate to the maximum your system will allow.

#4 turn off Anti Aliasing

#5 turn down screen resolution. COD2 is optimised at 1024x768

try that and see if it helps

Aeneas2020

I want to be like Revenge

50 XP

18th January 2006

0 Uploads

370 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

your card shouldnt have too many problems running cod2 but tally is right the game was optimised for xbox360s and even if you have a dual core processor you get horrible errors with it... if you follow tallys advice above you should have no probs.

Acer565

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

6th February 2006

0 Uploads

44 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

sorry about the profanity, u must realize tho that i just spent 1200 dollars on a system that apparently is going to be obsolete too soon. Anyway thanks for the suggestions i will try them, and any more comments? oh yea and tally, will my computer be able to handle red orchaestra, cuz i cant wait to get it

Acer565

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

6th February 2006

0 Uploads

44 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

I was just reading an old topic and this is what someone said " Actually I've just read your post with some info on your PC. Listen up:

-Your CPU should be 533Mhz FSB(not 133Mhz, or 266Mhz if doubled). Your RAM memory is your worst choice and it's slowing your whole system bus. PC2100 RAM runs at 266Mhz and it's definetly not doing the CPU or your system justice. It's slowing your whole system bus down to nearly half the speed! For such a Fast CPU FSB(533Mhz) you need PC4200 RAM and don't delay, buy 2x1Gb RAM modules now!

-Increase the AGP aperture size in your BIOS to 512Mb once you bought the new memory.

-Don't use AA in online games, use max AF but stay away from AA. There's a long-winded way to explain it to you why but just take my word for it.

-Start learning about system optimisation and tweaking(BIOS, Video Card and Operating System). Look up a web site called Tweak Guides(use Google). This will squeeze the last drops of power out of your PC and it accounts for an increase of about 15% of my PC's performance.

Not only will you wipe the floor with FH but you'll be able to play games like BF2, F.E.A.R and Quake 4 at max details." Would'nt call of duty 2 be included in with those games? im pretty sure my machine is up to the specs he claims will run games like that at max im going to post my specs from cpu-z soon if you guys would look at them and tell me if my hardware is alright before i go crazy looking for a solution to this

Tally

COD Über Support

50 XP

20th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,439 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago
will my computer be able to handle red orchaestra, cuz i cant wait to get it

Easily. RO needs only minimal system specs.

RO is out now for download.

Don't expect RO to be a rival to COD2 - its a totally different game. its far more tactical, and much slower. Run 'N Gunners hate it. I love it, but thats because i love realism and tactical games.

As for the question about your system and COD2, the problem with COD2 is it is optimised for XBoX360 and its 3 processors:

1 processor for FXs

1 processor for AI

1 processor for everything else (inlcuding graphics)

Dual core/processor PC systems handle COD2 better than single core/processors, but COD2 is still a big drain on the graphics end.

Because of the way the graphics engine works, its more processor hungry than even Far Cry ever was. But it gets around this with the DX7 option, which makes it possible for smaller and less expensive systems to run it (something Far Cry couldnt do).

If you have dual core/processor with Hyper Threading enabled, and you have either an SLI or CrossFire graphics card (the ATi X1900 with 512 vRam for example), you will run COD2 in DX9 mode with everything maxed out comfortably.

COD2 was a graphics engine experiment (I use that in a loose way, not to imply that COD2 was a 'beta' product), and is really the first stage in a long line of future products which will have the same graphics technology. As such, it is meant for PC systems of tomorrow - with either CrossFire or SLI cards involved.

Acer565

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

6th February 2006

0 Uploads

44 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

well ive been on the tweak guides site and tweaked my catalysts and my system so its up to its optimal performance. Now i can put COD2 on 1024x768 with 2x AA in game settings, 4x AA with adaptive AA in the catalyst settings, anisotropic ingame setting, high quality AF catalyst setting, shadows on, dynamic light on normal, textures on extra with mipmapping on quality and textures on high quality in CCC and final with all smoke smoothing features enabled. Now i get a good 30-50 frames in outdoor environments and a good 40-70 indoor. I also have my card overclocked at 575/585 with ati tray tools, which i must say is MUCH better than ati tool. it think this is pretty good with a single core processor, considering i only get slowdown during parts with alot of enemy AI going on around me, and even then it only gets around 25 frames. Anyways thanks for the help, although for anyone else looking for help with system performance tweakguides.com is a godsend. Helped me tremendously. Also, do athlon 64's have HT? and exactly what is it, i know its either not supported with my 3800+ or not enabled, i dont know which one, because it said so in my system specs. Also, does anyone know how to unlock BIOS clock settings on asus boards?