How is the new 2166 patch working out for you? -1 reply

Please wait...

Ghost Rider

50 XP

14th September 2002

0 Uploads

50 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I haven't had the chance to apply it yet and am wondering what every one else's thoughts are.




IconB

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

10th January 2003

0 Uploads

5 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

No problems after install, the changes are so minor (except w/ the rocket launcher) that it's hardly worth the effort if you are not currently experiencing problems.




Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

For some reason Single Player no longer works-- it doesn't save the games. Plus the players on the enemy team in SP never have any names-- they're all Player!! I suspect this may be to do with installing custom skins, but in any case this is a bug. And bugs are bad...




Ghost Rider

50 XP

14th September 2002

0 Uploads

50 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago
Originally posted by IconB No problems after install, the changes are so minor (except w/ the rocket launcher) that it's hardly worth the effort if you are not currently experiencing problems.

There were many changes over the course of the development of this patch, some of which went to updating the network code. Whenever this happens, it mean when your fav internet server upgrades....you have to also because both client and server will no longer be talking the same network protocol.




IconB

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

10th January 2003

0 Uploads

5 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago
Originally posted by Ghost Rider There were many changes over the course of the development of this patch, some of which went to updating the network code. Whenever this happens, it mean when your fav internet server upgrades....you have to also because both client and server will no longer be talking the same network protocol.

If that is the case then how come I can play on my fav internet servers after I have upgraded? Before I installed the patch I never got a wrong version error (as w/ other games), after installing the patch I should get an error message, right? Because as you stated we are no longer talking the same protocol.




Ghost Rider

50 XP

14th September 2002

0 Uploads

50 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago
Originally posted by IconB If that is the case then how come I can play on my fav internet servers after I have upgraded? Before I installed the patch I never got a wrong version error (as w/ other games), after installing the patch I should get an error message, right? Because as you stated we are no longer talking the same protocol.

Good point, I haven't applied the patch yet as I hardly ever get time to play online. Looks like I will need it though to use some of the newer mods and muts. I was going on past experience with UT and the Quake series. Anytime a patch was released that had a fix for networking it changed the protocol and required everybody to upgrade. So if there is backward compatability...great, but I'm sure it will cause problems for those that haven't upgraded later on down the road.




OrioTecc

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

15th January 2003

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

yes, there is a backwourds comptability, wich is great for 56k'ers and such. i think it says summit bout that in a readme or manual. u lot might care to check it out. and ivent had any problems with it meself, i just enjoyed it cos its more options and easyer configurin in the menu. so i suggest dlin it.