Czm21x

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

4th July 2003

0 Uploads

7 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I notice that a lot of custom models are hooked up to the default skeletons for the UT2003 models such as Satin. Hooking your model to a default skeleton causes clipping, which ruins the looks of the model. Take the AVP pack. The models look great, but the Alien Queen's tail clips through the floor of maps like DM-Gael. The Alien Empress' tail also clips through the floors of various maps. Clipping looks bad and it makes the model look like a shoddy rush job. These are not the only custom models that are ruined by using the default skeletons and animations. The Elvis model would look better with custom animations, so would the aliens. The Alien Drones look weird doing a pelvic thrust. It would look much cooler if they had animatins that belonged to them. A claw swipe for an alien drone would look better. The spawn model's feet clip through the floor of maps because the author used the Ut2003 default skeletons. It's just too easy for model makers to hook their models to the default skeletons of UT2003. It takes longer to make your own animations and skeletal frame for you model, but it also looks more professional.

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Hear him, hear him!! I totally agree with you Czm. The AvP pack would also look infinitely better if the Preds had Karma dreadlocks. Likewise on a similar note, the same guy who did the AvP pack also did the Unreal 2 Skaarj imports... and made the Skaarjs' hair stick out rigidly straight at an odd angle =/. Karma should have been used there too, or at least custom anims like Czm's saying...

USELESS

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

17 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

yes , every custom model imaginable could be improved dramatically with the use of custum animations. the problem is that although a modeller has the software to model , they may not nescessarily have the software, or knowledge to animate , animation and modelling are two completely different subjects , and karma Is also difficult to apply. Sure every modeller "wants" custom animations , but the sad truth , is that not all of them have the ability or opportunity to.

WE NEED A SOLUTION!!!

All modellers who cannot give there model custom animations should look into finding someone who is willing to help Before they release the model.

One way this problem could be solved , is by spreading awareness to some of the more talented animators , And try to Convince(blackmail) them to create a new set of custom generic skeletons and animation sets for use by the modelling community. This would make everyone happy , because the Animators work would become VERY well known , and the modellers would have something better than the stock animations to work with.

This is my suggestion , come on people lets get brainstorming , with some hard work we can change the face of Ut2k3 modelling into the Well animated juggernaught It has the potential to be. Lets Do something for the better.

In the field of karma , the tools to edit that come stock with the game ,so its just a matter of more informative tutorials.

Czm21x

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

4th July 2003

0 Uploads

7 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Some kind of animation program that makes it easy to animate models is what is needed. Atari,Epic and DE should release a good quality and easy to use animation program when they release UT2004.

USELESS

50 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

17 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

thats all fine and dandy but the bottom line is that effective animation programs are NOT easy to use Nor cheap to own. they can range from 400$ all the way up to 1,200$ and for epic to release a version with their release of ut04 is just not realistic.

sorry to rain on everyones parade , but I'm just making sure nobody gets their hopes up.

Czm21x

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

4th July 2003

0 Uploads

7 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Upaint and a few other programs were released. I know upaint was not the best paint program for skinnning. Custom animations are not as important as getting rid of clipping by making a custom skeleton for your custom model. Sure it takes more time, but the way I see it in the long run people like me will be less inclined to download models that have problems. Sometimes the scripting for Ut2003 models is messed up. Instead of seeing the model you downloaded, you see gorge with the model's name. The scripting can be easily corrected by watching your models in spectator mode. I don't know what it is with UT2003. There are more models released for it, but a lot more problems with models as well. There were only a few models released for UT, but at least they didn't come with all types of problems. For somebody with a 56k modem it's a real hassle downloading a model or a complete skin pack to find these problems with custom models. Then having to download the fixed skinpack all over again just to find that only the scripting problem has been fixed and the clipping remains.

USELESS

50 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

17 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING IN A CAVE FOR THE PAST TEN YEARS?????????

There were hundreds of models released for ut , and a good many of them had problems. If you need proof , go here http://planetunreal.com/ram2000/Skins/Models/index.htm

There are FAR more user models for UT then you think , and if this trend carries over to UT2003 , then we will have ALOT more models to come.

oh and I have a 28k dialup connection and I download several 10Mb+ files a day , much larger than most models out there. you just need to learn to be patient , and time your downloads.

Czm21x

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

4th July 2003

0 Uploads

7 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Ha ha ha. That is funny. Are you getting insulting and yelling because you are running out of more intelligent things to say to my views about the problems with Ut2003 custom models? Bully tactics do not work on me,so scream all you want. It will give me a good laugh.

I never downloaded skins or models from ram2000. The only thing I downloaded from that site were the custom voices for UT. Then again I only downloaded models for Ut from people who did good work like Roger Bacon and others of his caliber. It looks like I will have to find a few good model/skin creators once again and just download work from them.

There should be a place like Utskins,but called Ut2003skins. Where the reviews are brutal and honest. If you go to fragface he only ever placed a handful of skins at his site that he thought were worthy to be called well-done skins.

I am sticking to my previous statement about the models for UT being of better quality. I don't remember seeing such obvious clipping problems as I have seen with the AVP skinpack,Spawn or a whole host of UT2003 models. The alien queen's tail clips through the floor of maps so badly that after I saw that problem I immediately deleted the entire skinpack.

I am correct when I say that people should release better quality models for Ut2003.

A clipping problem with a model is just as bad as a poorly done skybox for a map. Example: a sky that is nothing more then a cloud texture in the hole at the top of a cave, so that when you open up the map in the editor you don't even see a real skybox.

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

I don't think clipping's the biggest problem with most UT03 models by a long shot- UT's models always clipped through the floor when they died anyway so what's the big deal if they still do it occasionally in UT03? The biggest problem as far as I can see is that the ideas for models are generally crap. Everyone seems to be coming up with stupid or cartoony models- Homer Simpson was one of the first models to be available for UT03, the most recent is Teddy. Neither fit into this game properly. Judge Dredd could have fitted in very well, but unfortunately the skinning on that model kept it away from my HD. The AvP or Skaarj pack could have fitted in well too, but the Pred's non-moving dreadlocks and the Skaarj stiff-as-a-straight-pipe also non-moving hairs along the back of its head make them look utter rubbish. The only really good custom model that springs to mind for UT03 so far is NeoFin, which is a weird dolphin-type-thing, but like Jarhead for the previous game, it fits in surprisingly well. Oh well, at least if this trend for non-fitting models continues we might eventually get a Sonic the Hedgehog model... :D

USELESS

50 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

17 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Ok first off , I'd like to state that I wasn't trying to "bully" you around , I was just stating that you were mistaken , and there are far more than a "few" custom , models for ut. If you have a problem with ram2000 , then theres a whole list of sites that I could direct your overly critical attention to.

I said that we should spread awareness , and try to make a "DIFFERECE" in the modelling/skinning community . but apparently you were too busy brooding over a few model packs to catch what I was saying. There are plenty of ut2oo3 models that are error free. Take beatrice , hitman , osama , neofin , fall out power armor , and a wide range of other ut2003 models. There are plenty of great models out there , as long as your not OBSCENELY critical. Think of the work that these models creators went through Before saying they're crap.

Oh and ut2003skins , there is one its called http://www.skincity.beyondunreal.com/

now that I've gotten that out of the way I have one last question to ask. Do you actually play the game or do you just spend all of your time looking at models? Clipping problems aren't good , but seriously , its not like it ruins the game for you , its just a little clipping , the games not meant to be Uber-realistic , thats why it's called UNREAL tournament. If you have a problem with a model , then just don't download it . I posted here hoping to make a difference , but instead all I get is a bunch of closed minded complaints.

And next time , do your homework , and actually LOOK for websites and files before claiming they don't exist.

Oh , and I don't think you should be saying that I've run out of intelligent things to say , when you yourself had none to begin with.

:moon: