Kat

HL2 has no secrets for me...

50 XP

17th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,826 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I'm not a UT2003 fan but i just wanted to say UT2004 is coming!

UT2004 will have EVERYTHING UT2003 was missing.

After the release of UT2004 there will be a yearly update...:naughty:

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

We already noticed :P

However Epic said there are currently NO plans for releasing a yearly update. This one might just be a one-off expansion.

Kat

50 XP

17th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,826 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

No no, they've just sayd their would be a yearly update. Wich means UT2005 UT2006 etc etc...

They sayd it all on the E3...

The Blue-Eyed Robot

Sniper Extraordinaire!

50 XP

1st May 2003

0 Uploads

49 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago
Originally posted by Kat I'm not a UT2003 fan but i just wanted to say UT2004 is coming! UT2004 will have EVERYTHING UT2003 was missing. After the release of UT2004 there will be a yearly update...:naughty:

Uhh Kat, what do you mean that UT2003 was missing? Are you talking about quality maps, gameplay balance, the beloved Assault-mode, vehicular combat, what is it?

I can understand why some say that the game lacks balance in some ways. I don't really like it how the Link Gun and Minigun do the same amount of damage, or how the Biorifle is of little use. Maybe in a patch they could be 'tweaked'.

And I'm almost certain that UT will not be receiving yearly updates. Game Engines do 'wear out' eventually.

Kat

50 XP

17th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,826 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

I mean there will be stuff in UT2004 that could already be done in UT2003 but weren't in it, that's why it wasn't such a good game as UT...:rolleyes:

I might be the only one in this forum that says UT2003 isn't such a good game but then again, i'm not a UT2003 fan.:o

Anyway: There will be 2 new game modes (the return of 'assault' and 'unslaughterd' or something...) also there will be vehicles.

Next month there wll be a big part of UT2004 in my games magazine so i can give you guys more information...:D

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Shockingly we'll probably all know the info by then anyway, thanks to the internet being quicker than magazines when it comes to scoops. :P

Anyway, so you're of the opinion that UT is better than its sequel, well can you give any reasons that back up your opinion? Go ahead, don't be shy. Personally I believe that UT2003 is superior in almost every way, having more balanced weapons, faster-paced games and a better deathmatch dynamic. Not to mention the new movement options: going back to UT now feels like being stuck in the mud without being able to dodge-jump... The only places where UT is better than UT2003, in my opinion, is in the maps (almost all of UT's are classics, but there's only a handful of good maps in UT03) and the models (don't get me wrong: UT03's models look good and are high quality, but some are a *lot* easier to hit than others). Bombing Run is a great replacement for Assault in my opinion, and if server owners realise that the translocator should be left *off* in BR games then it'll become much better.

Kat

50 XP

17th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,826 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

OK, here:

1. Bombing run might be a nice extra but with assault it was a challange to get all stuff done in the time given. 2. All these superior graphics might be cool and stuff but it was all instead of making a huge gallery of maps or at least something that made the game have like 80 hours of gameplay. 3. The weapons might be balanced but for UT2003 they could have made some new weapons instead of re-modeling and skinning all old weapons from UT...

In my game magazines there were tons of more critical points but I don't think those were that anoying...

Anyway, with the vehicles in UT204 i think it'll all be a bit beter and it'll give a perfect chnage of letting the EPIC guys make some REALLY huge maps:agreed. :agreed: :deal: :deal: :deal:

Now, i don't know what the REAL fans say but this is my opinion...:rolleyes:

Vertigo

Heel commentator

50 XP

24th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,622 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Assault was a good gametype, true, but it only seems to have gained popularity after people found it that it wasn't coming back in UT03... at the peak of UT's popularity Assault had comparatively few players, although more than Domination had. Epic wanted to scrap the two least popular gametypes and replace them with new ones that might be more popular for the sequel: Double Domination turned out to be just as unpopular as the original, and while having different gameplay it didn't feel any more or less fun to me. Bombing Run on the other hand has been a massive success, although of course the number of BR players still don't rival the core types of DM and CTF. Assault never really seemed to fit in with the rest of the game, the UT series is designed for online arena play, but Assault feels more like the co-op games that you sometimes find bolted onto single-player-oriented games. Bombing Run fits in far better with UT's arena stylings, regardless of which may be the better gametype.

Actually UT03 doesn't have many less maps than UT, so I don't know where you're pulling this "graphics instead of variety" stuff from. What DID suffer is that the existing maps in UT03 are generally pretty crap because they were designed to look good rather than play well. However this isn't really a bitch-point anymore because the bonuspacks have offered a wider selection of decent maps.

Finally, why do they need to add more weapons at all? UT's arsenal was great and imaginative, but overpowered and unbalanced. UT03 added a couple of new weapons like the Assault Rifle and Ion Cannon but really they didn't even need to add the Ion Cannon, the existing arsenal was great. What really needed to be done in this sequel was to balance the old weapons, not add new and pointless ones.

Kat

50 XP

17th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,826 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

As i sayd i'm not a real UT2003 fan.:rolleyes:

Kat

50 XP

17th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,826 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Just checked all domein names, they will contineu till UT2010 and maybe higher...