Here, rate every category (or choose a few) out of 10 and if u like, describe it. 1. AI 2. Physics 3. Graphics 4. Music 5. Sound 6. Replayability 7. Multiplayer 8. Scary? 9. Realism 10. Worth 55 bugks? 11. Bug- and problems-free? 12. Difficulty If someone can rate everything and describe them a bit, it's going to be better than a review. This is the way i judge a video game.
1. AI = 2
AI in this game is awful. Basically every single enemy just plain runs straight at you no matter what with maybe the exception of the machine gunners who just plant themself down and then don't move.
2. Physics = 5
The physics isn't great. When you shoot demons they don't react properly. It doesn't LOOK like you've hit them at all cause they don't move back or react at all. The blood often appears in the wrong place. I get the feeling the demons just get generally more bloody overall to mark the level of damage they've taken rather than getting wounds where you hit them. You can hardly interact with the environment. You can't shoot glass and most computer screens seem totally impervious to any damage you try to inflict on them.
3. Graphics = 8
Graphics are excellent although much of the game is in the dark and you wish it was brighter so you could see the good graphics. You don't get to go outside much at all except for a few 20 second sprints across the surface. A shame because the outside does look good.
4. Music = ?
I dunno, don't pay attention to it much. It was never out of place though.
5. Sound = 7
Pretty good overall but the kind of squelchy noises the demons make could be better. Sometimes they don't sound anywhere near as scary as they look.
6. Replayability = 4
I doubt i'll play through it again but then i hardly every play games again after i've completed them. Other people might think differently.
7. Multiplayer = ?
Haven't tried yet.
8. Scary? = 8
Yeah, if you turn the lights down and play it in the dark you'll definately be scared. Towards the end you get used to the demons and it's not quite as scary but i think that's good because you are starting to think yeah now i'm going to kick some butt.
9. Realism = 5
I don't think it's realistic because the interaction is quite off in places. I mean the demons and zombies don't look like they are getting shot at all. It feels like they are made of stone and things just bounce off them. Also, i think it's dumb that the player's character just doesn't tape his torch onto his gun. Or hell when he has the pistol he could hold the torch in his left hand. In any case, the year is around 2150 and they haven't put lights on any of their assualt guns yet???
10. Worth 55 bugs?
I don't think so. The game is worth what most other games are worth. It's a bad trend to start for a company to charge more to make back money they lost cause they overran their planned development time.
11. Bug- and problems-free?
I didn't have any bugs at all.
It's quite challenging. I felt like i was always trying to get more health and ammo on the medium difficulty level. Veteran and nightmare must be impossible. One thing that wasn't difficult were the bosses. I killed nearly all of them first try and found the final boss very very easy to beat.
Hope you find these opinions useful. :)
Meh, im lazy, a poll woulda been better
Ohhh (sorry for dp'ing) i see what your getting at. Yeah ok now i can understand. My answers are similar.... Although this is the best game ive ever played (Havnt played that many though) i still have a few things to bitch about.
(1) AI: (7) Is ok, the soldiers have good AI, they run for cover, but the demons? No. I thought they would creep away up a wall or something when shot. Nope, they just keep on comin'
(2) Physics (2) Oh hell no (Excuse the pun) theres next to no physics in this game, firstly the body of your enemy disintergrates before you could see what happenes to it, secondly not many objects are that "physicable?"
(3) Graphics: (8) Ok, the graphics are damn good. Only thing i can bitch about there is there is too much darkness, its a strain on the eyes, and i wanna see the holes i put in my enemies!
(4) Music: Uhh, there is none?
(5) Replayability: Yeah, ill play it again after im done, but that will be with cheats so i can test out the game to the fullest guns and all, after that itl just be a few mods id say until HL2.
(6) (Oops, sound i forgot) I rekon the sound is SO DAMN COOL! Probably one of the best features. I have my PC Connected up to my BIG ASS Hi fi stereo, so when no ones in the house i cranck it RIGHT up and man the sounds go hard. The things that really spook me so far are the voices in the hallways, crying of babies, a mothers voice and screaming, ohhh the screaming, oh and also the roar of the pinky demons which pretty much shake the place up. Im not too far into the game so nuttin else so far, nothign bad to say on sound :D
(7) Multiplayer: Wouldnt know, i have a 56k and wont even attempt Online.
(8) Scary? Yes and no. Its more liek you get shit loads of frights and jump heaps, some things are disturbing thought. There are a few scary things like sounds etc... but turn your lights off, sound up full bore and i can garantuee you will be scared ;)
(9) Realism: Not very realistic at all. The godamn bodys disintegrate into a FUCKIGN skeleton if you punch, yes PUNCH it only once! Also a normal cavillian, can be killed and SPLATTERED and dissapeared into a skeleton from one punch. Gore is definatly the BIGGEST let down int his game which was supposed to be the gorest game of the year/ever.
(10) So far, problem free, (11) Actually, its really quite a hard game, though i havnt been killed yet and im quater a way through, im taking it very slowly hehe.
(12) Gore: Id like to make special mention here. i give gore the rating of 1. If this game was 3 years old and had no physics engine, the gore would be acceptable, but when i killed my first civilian scientest by punching him (Without beserk) only to find he was instantly killed and turned into a skeleton which dissapeared moments later I WA REALLY PISSED. Theres no severing limbs, not even with the chainsaw, no pools of blood (Though there is blood on walls) and no body to play with on the ground. It really sux and is definatly the BIGGEST let down here. in fact i feel ive been REALLY ripped off. Now, if the game had really good gore/physics with gore, id say the game would almost be perfect... almost. It pisses me off to rip a zombie open with the shottie, only to have a bit of blood and no gibs.
(13) You should buy the game, but i think id are a pack of faggots now, i still rekon VALVe are better, and hope like hell HL2 is way better. I just feel kinda ripped off on the gore part, and i know its only one part of the game, but really, it had to be the biggest didnt it? Gae of the year, anticipated and waitied on for SOOO long and they give us a shitty gore system for the game that was supposed to be the most scary, realistic and disturbing game ever? I think not, screw u carmack! thats my 234768934 cents.
Doom 3 1. AI: 7 1/2, the AI works out well, the demons just charge at you but the one'a with guns duck for cover and even take turns shooting so you cant get a shot at them
2. Physics:8 The Physics are ok, ragpoll and all that but nothing really new, but still good
3. Graphics 10 the best graphics you would have seen of any game(better than far cry)
4. Music 10 great intro music, and no music in game that works out great
5. Sound 9 some complain that the guns dont sound right but IMO they do. you hear monsters creeping above you in the air vents, screams, gun fights off in another room. its great
6. Replayability N/A Cant really say because i haven't finished but i'd say at LEAST once more around the block when im done
7. Multiplayer 5 it needs work but i can see it becoming good if they put a patch out for it, and when coop's out, add 4 to the score.
8. Scary? 8 Keeps you on your toes the whole time and scary in bits.
9. Realism 3 Zombies, hell, 100 health...its not going to Realism
10. Worth 55 bugks? 7 Yes but will get boring, but its worth $55 just to play it once im telling you
11. Bug- and problems-free? 8 1/2 Single player is bug free, multiplayer needs a patch or two
12. Difficulty 7 on medium I have died about 4 times, very limited ammo and not a bucket of med kits either, not as hard as far cry though.
Overall: 96/100 A must have for any gamer, one of the best single players ever.
I hope this helps:)
Yep thanks for the ratings. They were very informative! BTW, for the first reply, u sure the AI isn't good? people say zombies sneak up from behind or hide behind boxes and stuff. Also, i thought environments were interactive, or at least thats what ID said.
yeah i'm sure the AI is awful. i've seen the odd soldier hide behind a box but it's very rare and once he's behind the box he won't move. demons don't sneak up behind you... they definately aren't smart enough for that. a demon might spawn behind you and run straight for you but you won't ever get one hiding and waiting for you to pass and then sneaking up. all the demons and zombies ever do is see you and then run straight for you.
they don't collaborate at all either. in fact, i don't think the zombies are aware of each other at all.
there is next to no interaction with the environment. you can't shoot glass which i think is really dumb. shooting a bullet into walls doesn't leave a noticable mark. some computer screens turn black when you shoot them but most don't which is just awful and even if they turn black there is no other visible damage on them (i'd expect a bullet hole or something). except for the two different types of barrel you can shoot i'd say there is no real interaction. the whole game feels kind of marble. like the surfaces and the monsters themselves are hard marble and just don't look affected at all by anything you do.
Sure sounds disappointing for me, because I was lolkin' forward to the gore. And the envirnment isn't interactable, I remember one of the quotes I heard that "Nothin' is static".
Yes, lack of interaction is disappointing. I thought ID had previously told us that many things were interactive, like shooting a box (im sure u have heard of it).