Modding 101 -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 10 years ago

Well, i love dawn of war and all, but ive alwayts been thoroughley disappointed with the amount of units available when you compare the table codex's to the game. As such, i want to learn to create my own mods, but dont have any clue how or where to start,what im gonna need ect, so i joined up here in the hopes that someone would be ale to tell me (and shoe me the ropes if your nice). The first few things i wanted to do was to add more tanks to the mars pattern command for the gaurd, things like the shadowsword, stormsword ect ect. second i wanted to add a vindicator to the space marines vehicles, this is my favorite tank on the table and would love to have one in DOW, same goes for the whirlwind, i konow you can get them, but not in full (castellan and incendiary castallan missiles). then i wanted to make a hero's mod, add a major ultimate hero to each race (like that emperor mod) for 2 reasons, one is so cheater people can just get to the end movies faster, the other is because i have some issues with the emperor mods power levels.......... (btw i only have up to crusade)

DawnOfDiablo666

I want your soul...Seriously..

50 XP

22nd August 2008

0 Uploads

410 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

OK, here are some awnsers to those questions: Their are mods out their that have the improved AI and heros conditions on it. If you don't want to get into serious trouble (unless you are not going to publish it online) then find the mod that has just improved AI and i think it has heros on it too. Make sure you got the one for DC. Second, there are also mods out their that have the vindicare and shadowblade and all, and to get them into your mod is simple and a long process. Fir you should download CORSIX's MOD TOOLS, that the easiest way to change stats and squad sizes ect.. When you download the mods that have the 'new' units on them, go into the DC directory (like thorugh hard drive c -> program files -> THQ -> DC). THe mod that includes these units and goodies should be in a folder that has the mod name on it. Example: MOBILIZE FOR WAR (There should be a prgram name one and a file one) Next, go into the file and look around for a bit, the way the files are orginized are in the same manner as corsix's is orginized. The mod you make is gonna be orginized the same way. So when you got your folders setted up the way their supposed to be, you can litteraly copy and paste all the files, for let's say, the vindicator into your folders. Then go onto corsix's and make sure everything is in the right place, and make sure is gonna be created out of the building you wanted to be made out of. Last note: The game will crash if some files are not in the correct folders, so double check everything. Also when you boot up, load up onto the the original DC mod, and then activate the mod your making just to make sure that if it crashes, you can still get back onto DC with having to delete your mod to get back to DC. Hope thats gonna help you.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 10 years ago

ide really rathger start by creating my own rather than commandeering other peoples works (habit), because i have ideas for how things should function and whatnot. But i really need to know what to do first, cause ive never modded anything before, and i dont know what im doing at all.

Junk angel

Huh, sound?

166,880 XP

29th January 2007

0 Uploads

15,678 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

If I were you, I'd start with small views at first.

Since adding a complete new unit is a complex task.

start with changing stats, cloning units etc etc. And slowly work upwards.

first of all you'll need an SGA unpacker and the mod tools of course.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 10 years ago

well those are just my overall goals anywho. so where do i actually get the stuff (link?)