Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 3 replies

Please wait...

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,340 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,847 Posts

213 Threads

#1 1 year ago

Saw this in the movie theatre cinema pictures show thing today.

I enjoyed it overall, but there were a few things that niggled me.. Eddie Redmaynes performance as Newt Scamander was ... interesting. He's definitely brought something to what I would never have imagined to be an interesting character, simply going off my knowledge of the Harry Potter novels. I have not read the book for Fantastic Beasts.

As a multi part movie franchise, I'm not sure what they can do in a sequel that they did not do in this one. The CGI was top notch, the action and pacing was good enough.. Editing felt stitched together and rushed at times but I imagine that was to build suspense and move the story along...

Spoilers ahead. Read on if you've seen it..

Spoiler: Show
Seriously, spoilers.

What REALLY got me is that Newt was expelled from Hogwarts, and yet kept his wand. Hagrid was ordered to turn over his wand.. this felt very thrown in at the last minute for the movies benefit, to give some edginess to what could otherwise have been quite a squeaky clean character.

Additionally, the lack of worded spells annoyed me, and the inconsistency as to where they used magic and didn't. Newt arrived and left New York on a ship, but apparated (I can only assume that is what he was doing) all over NY. Why are you on a ship if you can apparate?

Also, NON MAJ? WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! They are Muggles, bitch. Stupid.

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#2 1 year ago

I haven't watched it yet, but...

The wand thing isn't a plot hole. According to Rowling, it will be touched upon at a later point. It does make sense that he wouldn't use worded spells, either. He likely completed a fair amount of study at Hogwarts, so he probably learned how to use nonverbal spells. 

Non-Maj vs Muggles was probably a jab at cultural differences between English and Americans. I also imagine there's a distance limitation on apparating, which is why the Potter gang didn't just apparate to China when hunted by Voldemort.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,403 XP

15th December 2002

48 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#3 1 year ago

I always read the title as "Fantastic breasts and where to find them". 

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,340 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,847 Posts

213 Threads

#4 1 year ago
"FileTrekker"I always read the title as "Fantastic breasts and where to find them". 

Fantastic Breasts and Where to Fondle Them

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer