Former BBC Executive Thinks Jeremy Clarkson Should Have Never Been Fired From Top Gear 6 replies

Please wait...

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,126 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Well, they only took a year to realize that, but better late than never I guess.

To be completely honest, I stopped watching Top Gear the day Clarkson, Hammond, and May left. I outright will not watch the new series. Matt LeBlank does know cars, but he will always be Joey. Chris Evans simply cannot narrate, and made the pompous mistake of saying on the FIRST EPISODE that this Top Gear was improved and better. When one guy broke down, the other STOPPED, and WAITED. Either that, or they left for somewhere, and then were magically there. Their series was very much and then, and then, and then, and then, and then. It was painfully tedious. To make matters worse, a great deal of the dialogue was obviously written for Hammond to be speaking to May. It was directly recycled, and it did NOT work. They obviously did not care.

Clarkson, Hammond, and May would always play silly buggers with each other, bicker, and would leave someone behind if their car broke down. It was very much an every man for himself, but with a camaraderie that very much made them endearing. In fact, I was very much looking forward to their next show until I read it was exclusive to Amazon. I am not going to pay an Amazon subscription, just to watch that show. Put it on the BBC, where it belongs.

If Top Gear were returned to Clarkson, Hammond, and May, I would absolutely start watching again.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#2 2 years ago

They can't put it on BBC. BBC had nothing to do with the show. They'd have to buy the rights from Amazon, and there's no way they're going to do that.

Tough shit, really, but just wait for Clarkson to make one of his typical old man gaffs and get fired. Maybe he'll end up back on a cable network, then.

c0mpliant VIP Member

50 XP

9th March 2003

0 Uploads

1,947 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

They had to fire Clarkson. Hit literally assaulted someone in the place of work.

Imagine you're at work, the local hotshot of the office comes in. He thinks he's the shit. He brings in tons of money for company and he's seemingly able to run his mouth without incident. But what you don't know is that the boss has had words with him about saying things that are unacceptable in a workplace. He's warned him, several times. He's probably already used the "its your last chance, don't say stupid shit anymore" line. Today he's in a bad mood, he's been working late and he's cranky. He goes to eat some of the food the company has left out for him and he's not happy about the food, feels its not up to his standard. He explodes. Then he punches the guy who organised the catering in the face.

In that scenario, do you think he's still going to have a job with that company? All that's different in that scenario to what happened with Clarkson is that Clarkson is famous. He's not particularly funny and he's not particularly clever. We know that from looking at his near endless catalogue of shitty "Clarksons Wackey Wheels" style videos he's released, or the articles he's written down through the years.

His true success has been with Top Gear. Where almost all the scenes are scripted. Where things are setup to be funny. He had great chemistry with the other guys on screen, but that took such a long time to develop. Earlier episodes of Top Gear didn't have the same pop that later episodes did.

Was it a mistake to fire Clarkson? No, I think they were forced into that response by Clarkson. Was it a mistake of Clarkson to punch the producer. Yes it was. If people want to be annoyed at someone for ending Clarkson on Top Gear, be annoyed at Clarkson

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,299 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#4 2 years ago
"c0mpliant"They had to fire Clarkson. Hit literally assaulted someone in the place of work.

Lets be honest though, he isn't the first BBC employee to do it, and probably won't be the last. And while it's considered a lot less acceptable today, it went on all the time back in the day.

Not defending his actions, but it's still hypocrisy to some degree on behalf of the BBC.

His true success has been with Top Gear. Where almost all the scenes are scripted. Where things are setup to be funny. He had great chemistry with the other guys on screen, but that took such a long time to develop. Earlier episodes of Top Gear didn't have the same pop that later episodes did.

Was it a mistake to fire Clarkson? No, I think they were forced into that response by Clarkson. Was it a mistake of Clarkson to punch the producer. Yes it was. If people want to be annoyed at someone for ending Clarkson on Top Gear, be annoyed at Clarkson

I agree with both these sentiments, though.

Top Gear had definitely become more formulaic, and I had stopped regularly watching some time ago. I know it pulled in big numbers, and I still enjoyed the occasional watch, but it was definitely better in the first couple of series when it was less heavily scripted.

Sadly these early series (especially Series 1) are nowhere to be found on-demand or on TV repeats.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#5 2 years ago

As someone with little interest in cars, I found the real appeal of Top Gear to be the "challenges". Because, let's face it, there wasn't actually all that much focus on cars. It was more about "which car can get to France and back again with the least amount of breakdowns" and "which car will cause Jeremy Clarkson to throw the biggest hissyfit".

I think one of my favourite episodes had Clarkson drive from England to Norway or something. It was full of environmental shots and jokes.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#6 2 years ago

He punched someone. Outside of boxing and the like I can't think of a role where you can physically assault someone and retain your job.

In the short term they pay for firing him, but in the long term if you have a culture in which it's okay to punch people in the face and go around acting in that fashion, then you won't be able to attract people who have a choice in where they want to work. After all, most of us want to go to work and have good relationships, and not be punched in the face.

I recently changed companies and a large part of the reason I eventually did so was that I wanted better relationships. And that was without any face-punching involved at all! The wonders that's done for my mental health - even with the longer commute and the terrible traffic.... You know? You want to go to work with people who are nice. Who are good at their jobs and can help you be good at your job. You don't want to turn up and have a bunch of negativity where you're fighting to get your job done against the enormous drag of the arseholes around you. 

You have to be really really good at your job to justify the cost of keeping you around if you're an arsehole. And ya' know what? Most professions it's not possible to be that good at your job, and most people in the professions where it is aren't that good.

Clarkson should have been fired years ago.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,126 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I am very aware the stuff was scripted. As I said, the writers were recycling scripts, and having Matt and Chris doing stuff that was written for Hammond to be speaking to May. Those scripts worked with Hammond and May, but you cannot take the same scripts, and expect it to work with different people. That is a JJ Abrams level of bad writing.

What I loved is how Hammond is (according to Clarkson) the one who makes a living out of being an American, May is the nerd who knows everything there is to know about engines, and Clarkson is the orangutan. These are completely different people, but they have great work chemistry, so it all comes together in a very endearing way. They would give you very informative run down of the cars, then go do a bunch of ridiculous challenges, where they would then play silly buggers with each other. When one got into trouble, they would make fun of him, then leave him behind. He was on his own to figure out a creative solution for how to proceed. It was every bit as much a comedy show as it was a car show, to the point where the challenges were the best part of the show. There were several challenges where I was pissing myself laughing.

Matt and Chris have neither a work chemistry, nor a personal chemistry. They had nothing, and so it simply did not work. Chris is the clueless guy who cannot narrate, and Matt is the one who has no idea what British stuff is. In addition, when one got into trouble, the other stopping and waiting is exactly the opposite of what Top Gear is about. I could not finish the first episode, and had no interest in the others.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png