I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#1 8 years ago

Dune (Forthcoming Movie) - Dune Wiki - Frank Herbert, David Lynch, Sandworms

The project was initially going to be directed by Peter Berg (The Kingdom, Hancock) from a script penned by newcomer Josh Zetumer. Berg left the project in 2009 and was replaced by Pierre Morell (District 13, Taken) who will be starting from scratch with his own vision. Reports repeatedly suggest the producers want a "classic interpretation" of Frank Herbert's original novel. In a Feburary 2010 interview with ComingSoon.net Morell explained:

"Let me assure you, I’m not going to transform Dune into an action crazy movie. It’s not the point. I was a fan of the book from the start, I read the book when I was 14-15 maybe, and I’ve been reading it over and over and over. I’m a huge fan of the original material, I don’t want to get away from that, I want to be very very true to the original novel."

No casting has yet been announced.

I see plans within plans. I see two great houses, House Atreides and House Harkonnen...feuding. Behind it I see the hand of the Emperor.

masked_marsoe VIP Member

Heaven's gonna burn your eyes

50 XP

15th April 2005

0 Uploads

8,063 Posts

0 Threads

#2 8 years ago

I was just watching the Alan Smithee extended version the other day. Put it aside because it was like swimming in porridge.

Not sure about the director, but sounds promising. David Lynch hadn't read the book orknew what it was about before he started with the first film.

Dune hasn't really had much success being turned into film

In 1975, Jodorowsky planned to film the story as a ten-hour feature, in collaboration with Salvador Dali, Orson Welles, Gloria Swanson, David Carradine, Geraldine Chaplin, Alain Delon, Hervé Villechaize and Mick Jagger.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#3 8 years ago

Yeah that was never released partly to Jodorowsky turning it into such a pile of hit that support for it collapsed. 1/5th of the budget was spent before a single foot of film was even shot.

Delaurentiis/Lynch version was little better as it also took creative license (Weirding modules? WTF? ). Parts they got right they did very well, parts they got wrong was just...bad.

The Scifi Channel did the first three books and they stayed mostly true to the books but the acting, directing, costumes, and sets look like they were done by a poorly financed high school stage group.

I only hold out hope for this as the Producers want the movie to be true to the book and the Director chosen has actually read the books and is a fan.

If it is kept faithful to the book there is lots of potential.

Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#4 8 years ago

I feel this is relevant.

i-are-dunecat.jpg

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#5 8 years ago

Seen it, loved it.

masked_marsoe VIP Member

Heaven's gonna burn your eyes

50 XP

15th April 2005

0 Uploads

8,063 Posts

0 Threads

#6 8 years ago

Anlushac11;5351171I only hold out hope for this as the Producers want the movie to be true to the book and the Director chosen has actually read the books and is a fan.

If it is kept faithful to the book there is lots of potential.

Yeah, though personally I think the book gets more and more unhinged as it goes along. I haven't read it in years, but I recall the last time that towards the end there were many "WTF is this??" moments.

Could be like LOTR and have the fat trimmed off.

Red Menace

SCHOFIELD DID 4/30

415,410 XP

10th August 2004

0 Uploads

40,336 Posts

0 Threads

#7 8 years ago

I believe David Lynch once stated that Dune was the only film he regretted making. So, with that being said, this film doesn't have too tough an act to follow.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Cooters on fire off the shoulder of General Discussion. I watched spittle-flecked posts glitter in the dark near the Pub. All those moments will