Red Dwarf XI airing in September 13 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

:D

It hardly feels like 4 years since Series X aired, but now it's nearly here I can't wait;

Red Dwarf XI is airing on Dave in the UK in September, exact date TBD.

There is now also a synopsis;

Red Dwarf XI, the eleventh series of the legendary sci-fi comedy, reunites the original cast of Chris Barrie (Rimmer), Craig Charles (Lister), Danny John-Jules (Cat) and Robert Llewellyn (Kryten) along with a host of guest stars for a brand new series recorded in front of a live studio audience at Pinewood Studios. The series is written and directed by Red Dwarf co-creator, Doug Naylor, and produced by Richard Naylor and Kerry Waddell for Baby Cow Productions & Grant Naylor Productions.

The show's six episode run sees two of the Dwarfers' dreams come true: Rimmer accidentally saves the life of a Space Corps Captain and is promoted to Officer, while Cat takes time off from being in love with himself to fall in love with a female Cat with a secret. Meantime, Lister wakes up to discover a deranged droid has stolen some of his body parts and Kryten has a mid-life crisis and considers leaving the Dwarfers for a younger crew. The posse also find themselves in an alternative America where modern technology is outlawed, making both Kryten and Rimmer illegal.

With big laughs and dazzling effects, Red Dwarf XI recaptures the show's golden age.

Also, STARBUG!

CmRdkVEXEAA1isL.jpg

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

darkclone

116,900 XP

10th April 2006

0 Uploads

11,075 Posts

0 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Awesome! Gotta love a bit of Red Dwarf.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#3 2 years ago

What's Red Dwarf about, anyway? I thought it was just a budget scifi flick so I never paid it much attention. Is it a sitcom?

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#4 2 years ago
"Serio"What's Red Dwarf about, anyway? I thought it was just a budget scifi flick so I never paid it much attention. Is it a sitcom?

Yes, it is more sitcom than Sci-Fi, the fact it's set in space is just because. That being said, it often spoofs common Sci-Fi tropes and it does have a semi-hardcore fanbase akin to Sci-Fi fandom, but it's comedy first, Sci-Fi second.

As for what it is about, well, basically, it's about a guy from Liverpool called Lister, who is working on a mining ship called Red Dwarf. He's a lazy, wreckless kind of guy, and one day decides to smuggle a pet cat on board, despite there being a strict no animals policy, and gets caught, as he took a photo of himself with the cat and sent it to be processed in the ships lab.

He gets put into Stasis as punishment for 6 months, but when he leaves stasis, he finds that 3 Million Years have passed.

His immediate superior and bunkmate, Rimmer, who is anally retentive and just a general knob, accidently flooded the ship with radiation while doing a basic repair, due to his general incompetence, and kills the entire crew. When Lister leaves Stasis, he finds the only person around is Rimmer, who the ships computer has resurrected in order for Lister to have someone to talk to, because the computer (named Holly) has incorrectly deduced that Rimmer is the person Lister liked best, because they exchanged the most words.

In the mean time, it turns out that Lister's pet cat was pregnant, and was sealed in the hold of the ship, which was protected from civilisation. Over the 3 million years, the cats bred and evolved into a humanoid life form. They all abandoned Red Dwarf on some strange religious quest to find a donut diner on Fiji, which they mistook for heaven, except for one, whom Rimmer and Lister name Cat.

They roam around the universe trying to eventually get back to Earth, having general adventures and so forth.

In later series they find a robot named Kryten, who has spent the last 3 million years looking after 3 dead corpses because he can't tell if people are alive or dead, and he joins the cast, and so on and so on.

So yeah its a bit strange on the surface of it but once you watch enough episodes to get it, then, it's the best thing you'll ever do. It's insanely funny once you get it. Especially if you like Briton.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#5 2 years ago
"FileTrekker"In the mean time, it turns out that Lister's pet cat was pregnant, and was sealed in the hold of the ship, which was protected from civilisation. Over the 3 million years, the cats bred and evolved into a humanoid life form. They all abandoned Red Dwarf on some strange religious quest to find a donut diner on Fiji, which they mistook for heaven, except for one, whom Rimmer and Lister name Cat.

What the fuck. I need to watch this.

darkclone

116,900 XP

10th April 2006

0 Uploads

11,075 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago
"Serio"What's Red Dwarf about, anyway? I thought it was just a budget scifi flick so I never paid it much attention. Is it a sitcom?

What?

How?

Wow.

So, it's about a scouser, a smeghead, a humanoid cat and a robot that go travelling around the Universe in the far-distant (post-scarcity?) future. They encounter all manner of weird, swirly space objects; parallel universes; time-travel; insane robots, not-so-insane but still weird robots. They live off curry and reference most sci-fi tropes, but rarely sci-fi shows; references are more toward classic films like Casablanca or any number of Westerns (in a similar vein to ST:TOS).

It's genius British humour for the most part, and puerile for the rest. A lot of people will tell you certain seasons are better and some seasons are awful, but really the only bad one is the "Back To Earth" mini-series that came before season 10.

But watch it all. You've got many an hour of joy ahead of you.

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Well, the epiode titles and synposis are out!

Kinda spoilery (ish) but no more so than what the TV Times will tell you;

Spoiler: Show

1. TWENTICA“The Dwarfers find themselves in an alternative version of America where modern technology is prohibited, making Rimmer and Kryten illegal. The Dwarfers infiltrate the tech savvy underground and try to bring down the authoritarian regime.”

2. SAMSARA“When the Dwarfers investigate a crashed ship at the bottom of an ocean moon, Lister and Cat become trapped together and Lister’s nightmare begins. Meantime Rimmer and Kryten discover the ship is controlled by a dark force.” 3. GIVE AND TAKE“After an altercation with a deranged droid Lister has his kidneys organ-napped. The only solution is to ask Cat, the most selfish creature in the universe, to give him one of his.”

4. OFFICER RIMMER“After a scandalous piece of good fortune Rimmer saves the life of a bio-printed Captain and is promoted, fulfilling his life-long dream of becoming an Officer. He immediately opens an Officer’s club, which is out of bounds to the lower orders, and uses the bio-printer to fill it with versions of himself.” 5. KRYSIS“Kryten has a mid-life crisis and changes his body cover from Mech grey to Ferrari red. The posse try and show him how much he’s achieved in life by taking him to visit a mechanoid from his old fleet.”

6. CAN OF WORMS“Cat takes time off from being in love with himself to fall head over heels in love with a lady Cat with a big secret.”

Well fuck me, a cat episode.

The first two eps look AMAZING, if they live up to those descriptions we have a Gunmen of the Apocalypse or Back To Reality level of good episode here.

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Some exciting looking new trailers;

MoreGun89

55 XP

27th July 2004

0 Uploads

2,426 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

We seem to keep shortening the description TL;DR: A bloke and his cat lost in space!   Anyways YAAASSS!!! I'm so excited for the new season!!  I hope it makes its way overseas quickly :D

Mother Banhammer

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#10 2 years ago
"MoreGun89"We seem to keep shortening the description TL;DR: A bloke and his cat lost in space!   Anyways YAAASSS!!! I'm so excited for the new season!!  I hope it makes its way overseas quickly :D

Well it has always sold well internationally, but if not, it normally comes out on DVD internationally pretty quickly after airing (Did with BTE and X, at least)