Your favourite Sci-Fi ever? 12 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,294 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Film, TV or franchise. If you had to pick one, what would you pick, and why?

For me, Star Trek.

There's a reason why it's lasted so long, with such a rich history of programming and films, a deep and meaningful story, great characters and a serious message. This pushed the boundary of what Sci-Fi was, IMO. Sure, it's had bad moments in every incarnation, but overall, more good than bad.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,400 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Star Wars for me.

It's what I grew up on.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Primarch Vulkan VIP Member

For the Emperor! Knights of Caliban!

154,320 XP

16th March 2004

0 Uploads

13,497 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Warhammer 40k!!!

and star trek :P

[color=#000000][size=2][b][i]Heralds of the coming doom, Like the cry of the Raven, we are drawn, This oath of war and vengeance, On a blade of exalted iron sworn, With blood anointed swords

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#4 2 years ago

2001: A Space Odyssey.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,008 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Bladerunner is probably my favorite sci-fi movie. 2001 is perhaps the best in terms of what sci-fi is all about because it is pretty deep and has many of the important elements (space travel, AI, aliens), but it does get pretty weird towards the end.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Well, if you've watched it as many times as I have it actually begins to make sense.  It makes even more sense when viewed through the last paragraph of review Roger Ebert made in 1997:

Only a few films are transcendent, and work upon our minds and imaginations like music or prayer or a vast belittling landscape. Most movies are about characters with a goal in mind, who obtain it after difficulties either comic or dramatic. “2001: A Space Odyssey'' is not about a goal but about a quest, a need. It does not hook its effects on specific plot points, nor does it ask us to identify with Dave Bowman or any other character. It says to us: We became men when we learned to think. Our minds have given us the tools to understand where we live and who we are. Now it is time to move on to the next step, to know that we live not on a planet but among the stars, and that we are not flesh but intelligence.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

c0mpliant VIP Member

50 XP

9th March 2003

0 Uploads

1,947 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I think you need to break down Sci-Fi into two categories, TV and Film

TV Star Trek definitely holds its place firmly in my heart. Originally it was TNG that was my favourite, then Voyager in my teens and since my twenties, DS9 has held its own to the point that I hardly watch the others anymore except for specific episodes I like.

In recent years Battlestar Galactica has stood out as being the best Sci-Fi in a long time but with a disappointing ending. Stargate Universe was quite good until a point. I never thought Firefly was as good as people made it out to be, elements were good but other parts detracted from it I felt.

Film I was never big into Star Wars so its not sacred to me and I always considered it Science Fantasy rather than Sci-Fi. I'd agree with FancyPants and Adrian, 2001 is awesome. I'd consider it the father of all modern space films. I even liked 2010: the year we made contact. Explained quite a lot about 2001. But its not my favourite. I like some of the real world Sci-Fi films that may not be considered Sci-Fi but it really is, films like Contagion, Jurassic Park or Primer. I think the Martian is possible the best film in a long time. It holds your attention in smart ways, its story makes sense, its based in actual science. Its what Interstellar wanted to be but ultimately got so wrong. Some borderline cases that are probably my favourite would be Starship Troopers or Fifth Element

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,008 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#8 2 years ago

"Adrian Ţepeş"Well, if you've watched it as many times as I have it actually begins to make sense.  It makes even more sense when viewed through the last paragraph of review Roger Ebert made in 1997:

Only a few films are transcendent, and work upon our minds and imaginations like music or prayer or a vast belittling landscape. Most movies are about characters with a goal in mind, who obtain it after difficulties either comic or dramatic. “2001: A Space Odyssey'' is not about a goal but about a quest, a need. It does not hook its effects on specific plot points, nor does it ask us to identify with Dave Bowman or any other character. It says to us: We became men when we learned to think. Our minds have given us the tools to understand where we live and who we are. Now it is time to move on to the next step, to know that we live not on a planet but among the stars, and that we are not flesh but intelligence.

If you want to get a point across in a movie it is fair enough to make it somewhat complicated so that you need to think about it. But making it super ambiguous and esoteric is just a ploy self-declared artists use to gain unwarranted attention. There is no definite interpretation to the ending, so for me the movie is too artsy in that part.

If you look at what Kubrick had in mind originally for the ending you can see that the plot was designed to be really simple - aliens help mankind evolve past the use of technology as a means of destruction just when mankind almost manages to destroy itself. That was a nice story, explained with voice-overs and very obvious symbolgs, but they scrapped it. Instead you get the super esoteric stuff based on largely the same movie with a few details cut out. The movie manages to convey the message that the next evolutionary step is something that you can only vaguely understand, but that is not really a satisfinyg explanation for all the other plot elements.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

Warhammer 40k.

Grim dark FTW.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

NeoRanger

The Curse of Snake

50 XP

29th August 2004

0 Uploads

180 Posts

0 Threads

#10 2 years ago

Do I really need to pick? Can I pick several in a different-categories-sort-of-way? I remember I had a blast watching Babylon 5 and a lot of Doctor Who, because they're just fun to watch. I feel smarter and warm and fuzzy inside watching Star Trek, because it just does this thing that it makes the idealistic future for humanity seem oddly reachable. I love the lore of Star Wars more than I do the actual movies (Midichlorians notwithstanding).

Those are just the really big and clear-cut ones. Then comes the less-well-defined material with shifting focus that makes the whole thing more complicated. I mean, RoboCop is one of my all-time-favourite films and it's technically sci-fi, but really it's a social satire employing science fiction as a tool, so I'm not sure how well it fits here.