GForce 5700 runs badly at 640x480?! -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 12 years ago

OK - I am unable to play Oblivion at any resolution higher than 640x480 (and even then its as jumpy as hell). The graphics are so bad I can hardly anything and the people are so hard to see I can tell if its male / female / monster or a statue...

I have:

• ASUSTek K8N-E-Deluxe
  • AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz
  • 1024MB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700, 128.0 MB

I'm going mad - every graphics setting is set to the minimum, everything is switched off (auto detect recommendation). I just dont understand it - it has held up fine with every game I've tried playing (HL2, Quake, Doom etc).

Now I did have some installation problems (after install the Oblivion install window wouldn't close) - had to Ctrl Alt Del and kill the process. The game was there but at 640x480 and really jumpy...

Decided a re-install would be best so... but I couldn't uninstall (said it had uninstalled but nothing was removed). Manually deleted the folder and did a registry scan to remove any oblivion keys.

Made a cup of tea...

Finally got a clean install and went back into the game - still best I can get is 640x480, still jumpy.

Any sugestions would be welcome - even if its buy a new graphics card...

PC Chipmunk VIP Member

Please don't kick.

50 XP

9th July 2005

0 Uploads

7,866 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

That graphics card is outdated now and well....oblivion is just a huge system hog in every sense (its a very graphics card intensive game).Your not really going to get much performance at all with that card with this game ...so I guess the advice is.....get a new graphics card.Your processor is ok and RAM good....it's just the graphics card holding you back.

Oh..and another thing i've noticed and been discussed on the offical forums is that changing resolution has barely any effect at all on FPS ,which is odd.

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

I could just barely run it on medium settings at 800x600 on my 6600gt (2.53 ghz p4, 1gb ram), if that's any indication of what a system hog it is. A 5700 will have trouble running this game for sure.

It should run much better on the rig I'm building tomorrow (in sig).

Shibbywrd

all yur stalker r belong 2 me

50 XP

30th June 2005

0 Uploads

167 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

I have the same graphics card right now, i run it on the same setting, well resolution at least, i set most my settings high but my res low, doesnt make a real big differnce still looks more then decent, little lag here and there. mostly in battles.

NN435

I really don't want to be here

50 XP

1st August 2005

0 Uploads

50 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

turn the textures down, that will help a lot. anyways a 5700 is kind of outdated now. my x850xt runs oblivion at above medium stats so since this game is a next-gen game, dont expect your comp that runs hl2 to max oblivion's settings as well.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#6 12 years ago

"Sigh" A GForce 5700 is not supported by oblivian! Here's the list of cards supported: Supported Video Card Chipsets:

• ATI X1800 series
  • ATI X1300 series
  • ATI X850 series
  • ATI x800 series
  • ATI x700 series
  • ATI x600 series
  • ATI Radeon 9800 series
  • ATI Radeon 9700 series
  • ATI Radeon 9600 series
  • ATI Radeon 9500 series
  • ATI Radeon 9000 series
  • NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
  • NVIDIA GeForce FX series

BrianPeppers

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

13th February 2006

0 Uploads

19 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

*sigh* the 5700 is the FX series

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#8 12 years ago

i have a GF FX 5900, and i have problems too, but the best thing to do was to install the new 84.25 Beta Driver, cause it improved my FPS in Oblivion by 34%, thats a real lot, the FPS in Fights isn't low because of GPU, but of CPU, i have an Athlon 64 3800+ and the battles run great, even with huge numbers (like 6 or 7 :-) ) of oponents. The Textures Size is important but the hardest effect is the distant grass, switch that option on veeeeeeery low and you should have progress too, at last, buy a new graphics card...(...) for example the GeForce 7800 GS, my friend has one an is able to play on high detail and 1024x768...

Hfx-Rebel VIP Member

AzH owns my ass

50 XP

15th March 2004

0 Uploads

10,426 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

Even when that card was new on the market, it pretty much sucked. I've not heard one good thing about the FX series cards. Even my 4200Ti out performed it in games.

If you're thinking of upgrading, I would suggest the 6800GT, comes with 2 fans and an internal temp sensor (the price has come down some) I haven't had an issue with this bad-boy since I got it!

Plays RTCW, ET, FarCry, CoD, CoDUO, CoD2, BF42, BF-V (to name a few) with no problems

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#10 12 years ago

i dont agree to that statement, because after the driver update even the fx-series worked quite fast, although the lower versions are very low, and of course a ti 4200 is faster than a fx 5700, but it cant show dx9 effects anyway so its easier, when you turn dx9 effects off, (like in HL2) then the FX 5700 is faster than ti 4200, anyway the fx-series became better with the time, in the end it nearly got the ati-versions, my fx 5900 hadn't got any game which didn't work on highest details except Oblivion ( and on full details worked for example: Half Life 2, Doom 3,Far Cry, Call of Duty 2, BFME 2, SW Empire at War) all these worked well