Help!!! -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 12 years ago

I am having trouble getting past the 1st section of the volcano level. I just entered Kreig's offices. I have been stuck here for hours. How the hell do you beat these guys??? I posted this in a different forum here so I apologize for the repost.. :mad: :mad:

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago
kilezI just entered Kreig's offices. I have been stuck here for hours. How the hell do you beat these guys???

If you mean the part immediately following the first checkpoint of Volcano where it starts with a cutscene of Krieger talking to Jack showing Val being held hostage, it's the easiest part of the whole level believe it or not.

In fact, it is so easy I will offer this video I just made showing the hard and easy way to do it, rather than explaining it in detail, then you see if you can catch what makes the easy way easy. I swear though, once you know the trick you'll be looking for ways to make it more challenging.

All of what is shown in this video is done on Realistic mode. It's less than a minute and a half long, about 24MB, and streams via Putfile. All you need do is click to watch and it should take less than 2 minutes between the buffer time and viewing it.

Krieger Kill Gone in 5 Seconds!

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 12 years ago

Oh hell No! I am not even there! I literally have just entered the volcano offices out post. You have a supply closet on the left where you can recharge. Then you enter a room with holograms and a crap load of men who take what seems like 10 hits to kill but hit me 2-3 times and I am toast!!! But thanks for the heds up!!!!

SciComHam

Now with more red

50 XP

28th November 2004

0 Uploads

935 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Ah, that bit, Hide behind the pillars and aim for their heads. There isn't really an easy way to do it, but the flashbangs might help.

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago
SciComHamAh, that bit, Hide behind the pillars and aim for their heads. There isn't really an easy way to do it, but the flashbangs might help.

No, no, no, that's partly right but much harder. First, make SURE before you leave the Dam level you pick up the Rocket Launcher off the guy near the lower front steps of the level end. Also make sure you have an OICW, there's plenty of those lying around.

When you get to the Volcano level top off/reload both these weapons and set the OICW to grenade launcher, and arrange them in your weapons slots so they are next to each other. Equip the OICW, go thru the doors and past the left side of the left pillar until you're to the second pillar and stand behind it leaning to the right.

The OICW fires fast but requires two grenades to make a kill, it is excellent for suppression though. Aim at the feet of the guy coming at you on the right, then the one on the left, pop pop, pop pop. Reload and shoot farther down to kill and/or suppress anyone further down the hall. Never aim at the head, always at the feet or in front of them on the ground if they're approaching, the splash damage kills them that way. The idea is to suppress and kill well enough with the OICW so you can quickly switch to the Rocket Launcher and finish then off BEFORE the guy with the Rocket Launcher can even shoot at you.

One of the most annoying things is that you have to wait a certain length of time between shots with the Rocket launcher, this is largely why I recommend good OICW use first, it makes using the slow Rocket Launcher MUCH easier, as often anyone left is ducking for cover. Keep in mind that the Rocket Launcher has much better splash damage than the OICW. You can aim on the ground close to where you think there are mercs left even if you don't see them and often kill them.

If you feel you need another visual aid, here's a full length video of Volcano on Realistic with no scratch in about 9 minutes. I call it Ascension: The Fall of Fat City. I suggest you only watch as much as you need to, you'll feel more accomplishment that way.;)

Ascension: The Fall of Fat City (133MB/8:58) Frolicking in Fat Central!

P.S. Sorry if I spoiled some of the level for you. This may take as much as 1.5 hours to download if you only have 256K, but since you've strugggled with it for hours, it may be well worth it. It took about 10 min with my 5MB connection.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#6 12 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I took a little while away from the game to upgrade my comuter with a new motherboard , RAM and a new 160GB HD, and new sound card. Gonna get back at it now. I actually oops'd and opted to drag along the snipers rifle instead of the launcher, my bad. I'll have to use the surpression method and hope for the best. Unless I can nail the one with the launcher before he gets a bead on me--the bastard!! Kilez:nodding:

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago
kilezI actually oops'd and opted to drag along the snipers rifle instead of the launcher, my bad. I'll have to use the surpression method and hope for the best. Unless I can nail the one with the launcher before he gets a bead on me--the bastard!!

Actually your boo boo was not in taking the sniper rifle so much as not carrying the RL as well. A good rationale, especially towards the end of the game when you think there will be tough battles is to equip the Rocket Launcher, OICW, Sniper Rifle and one light weapon like the P90 SMG for moving fast. Some prefer the Jackhammer over the P90 but the P90 is actually a bit lighter and better when there are more than one enemy in a given room due to it's clip capacity and zero time delay between shots. Earlier in the game when the OICW is not available I substitute the AG36, which actually has a more powerfull scope but less effective grenade launcher and rifle. Before the AG36 is available I sustitute the M4, which is fairly versatile in it's own right by using single shot mode.

Nailing the guy with the RL before he gets a bead on you is easier said than done when you are only using the RL yourself. The problem is even if you get every guy in the foreground without missing, the slow fire rate and reload of the RL will almost always allow the RL guy to hone in on you. The only way to avoid that is if you are super fast in strafing out from cover and killing the closer guys before they come and get you, ducking quickly behind the pillar before the RL guy sees you, then get in a lucky shot all the way down where the RL guy is. It's much easier to use the OICW suppression method, trust me. Take a look at the video if you haven't done so, it tends to make it clear. Many of the shots I fire with the OICW in suppressing are fairly wild ones not even taking the time to aim at the feet or look for mercs, yet it still suppresses them well. That is partly due, however, to the fact that the mercs at the far end of the hallway are fairly close to it's far wall before they become aware of where you are. Hitting walls near mercs causes good splash damage too.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#8 12 years ago
>Omen<If you mean the part immediately following the first checkpoint of Volcano where it starts with a cutscene of Krieger talking to Jack showing Val being held hostage, it's the easiest part of the whole level believe it or not. In fact, it is so easy I will offer this video I just made showing the hard and easy way to do it, rather than explaining it in detail, then you see if you can catch what makes the easy way easy. I swear though, once you know the trick you'll be looking for ways to make it more challenging. All of what is shown in this video is done on Realistic mode. It's less than a minute and a half long, about 24MB, and streams via Putfile. All you need do is click to watch and it should take less than 2 minutes between the buffer time and viewing it. Krieger Kill Gone in 5 Seconds!

Yeah. I thought there was a bug, cause it just went to a cut scene and I only shot Kreiger like 5 times int he head. Then I accidntly quit the cut scene so I did it again very easily. Hey, I dont care if you cant beat Kreiger, I dont care if its taking you a full month to beat it. Everyone is different.

&gt;Omen&lt;

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago
TCPjebusYeah. I thought there was a bug, cause it just went to a cut scene and I only shot Kreiger like 5 times int he head.

He can be killed in about 5 seconds (as 1 of my above clips shows), but that's not where you shoot him to do it.

If you only shot him with 5 rounds to the head, it was either a very powerfull weapon or a bug I've never seen.