Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

After extensively playtesting Desert Rose, I found a couple of bugs.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23651&stc=1 First up, the Crusader I tank's turret allows you to shoot yourself in the ass. This is probably not intentional and again, if you are in TankSight view, you can't see the hull of the tank and wouldn't know you are about to pwn yourself.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23652&stc=1 The second shot is more of a general rant. The Brittish used Vickers .50 cal, not .50 cal BMG. The Vickers round was shorter and less powerful. How are these Vickers .50 cal rounds penetrating the side of a boat?

attachment.php?attachmentid=23653&stc=1 This shows the boat taking damage even though I'm hitting a suplerfluous raft that is not attached to or essential for the survival of the boat in any way. Minor issue, but its like shooting the cloth covering on trucks and having it register as a damaging hit. It wouldn't damage the ship. Again, Vickers .50 cal harming a huge ship.

(side note: Nice Oerlikon cannons! The shells effect is cool)

attachment.php?attachmentid=23654&stc=1 The tents in this level are also made of metal. Notice that at point blank my 2pdr does not penetrate it and, in fact, shows the sparks and effect of hitting an armored vehicle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23655&stc=1 This next one is more of a universal bug. Look at the weapon selection menu at the bottom of the screen. It shows a knife, a Sten, and Mills grenades.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23656&stc=1 Hit "2" however, and you can pull out a No. 2 pistol. Its not listed below and I don't think its supposed to be part of the kit.

General rant Boys AT rifle sucks. This I know. Still, I did some tests today. 15 rounds from less then 50 yards at no more then 45 degree angle into the back/top of a Matilda II that was trudging through a mountain. It didn't even smoke.

I found an empty matilda, hopped on top, and shot down into the back of the engine, fired down, and it took 10 shots to kill it.

I think the Boys rifle is acting differently with occupied vehicles then it is with empty vehicles. You guys said that 1 hit would kill a Jeep or Plane. Well the Boys does next to jack shit against planes (tested it) and comes nowhere near killing a Jeep or a Truck in one hit.

Is this just the suckiness of the Boys rifle, or is it supposed to not work?

terminal-strike

terminal-strike

50 XP

5th May 2004

0 Uploads

2,313 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

THere is not just one vickers 50 caliber round, there are a few. Some are more powerfull and some are less. Im not actually sure which were used in the AA gun though unfortuently. Down at the bottom it shows a comparison of some of the Vickers .50 cals http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/calibres.html

Also about they boys, it was below par especially at farther ranges but I maybe under-rated. EIther way its projectile was just to small for farther ranges., i swear the design team meant for it to be fired from like 5 ft away.

http://discussions.playnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=48469&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=175&sid=bcc3ec495877cb7e8d3424e011a8780d

some interinst points there,

The World War II Databook: 21mm @ 300m Small Arms, Artillery and Special Weapons of the Third Reich: 21mm @ 300m @ 0 degrees The Encyclopedia of Infantry Weapons of World War II (Hogg): 20mm @ 500m @ 0 degrees Tank Killers (Hogg): 21mm @ 330yds Military Small Arms of the 20th Century (Hogg): 21mm @ 300m @ 0 degrees Technical Ammunition Guide Series 2 Pamphlet 8, British Anti-Tank Rifle Ammunition 1917-1945: Proof penetration by 7 out of 10 bullets @ 100m @ 20 degrees Boys anti-tank rifle firing: Cartridge SA Armour-Piercing .55 inch W Mark 1 -- 16mm Penetration Cartridge SA Armour-Piercing .55 inch W Mark 2 -- 19mm Penetration Men against Tanks, A History of Anti-Tank Warfare: 14mm @ 300yds

so the mark 2 cartrisge would give an extra few mm, they later delve into the difference perhaps partally coming from whether its hitting homogenuous or face hardened.

Personally i think the ludicrous accuracy and cross hair (i.e. setup time) are bigger problem with all of them. I actually prefer the ptrd to the nagant now as I done usually miss on the first shot anyway, and there's a revolver if i do. (not to menation the at capabilty)

Ohioan

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

Bomp. Fix these!!

(jk)

Ohioan

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

terminal-strikeTHere is not just one vickers 50 caliber round, there are a few. Some are more powerfull and some are less. Im not actually sure which were used in the AA gun though unfortuently. Down at the bottom it shows a comparison of some of the Vickers .50 cals http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/calibres.html

Also about they boys, it was below par especially at farther ranges but I maybe under-rated. EIther way its projectile was just to small for farther ranges., i swear the design team meant for it to be fired from like 5 ft away.

http://discussions.playnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=48469&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=175&sid=bcc3ec495877cb7e8d3424e011a8780d

some interinst points there,

so the mark 2 cartrisge would give an extra few mm, they later delve into the difference perhaps partally coming from whether its hitting homogenuous or face hardened.

Personally i think the ludicrous accuracy and cross hair (i.e. setup time) are bigger problem with all of them. I actually prefer the ptrd to the nagant now as I done usually miss on the first shot anyway, and there's a revolver if i do. (not to menation the at capabilty)

The AA mountings on most Brittish battleships used the v580 or v565 (essentially the same, but with different rims for different mechanisms) which was a step below the U.S. 12.7x99mm Browning .50 cal cartridge. Also, its shooting a SHIP. .50 cal, no matter what flavor, should not be penetrating a ship.

terminal-strike

terminal-strike

50 XP

5th May 2004

0 Uploads

2,313 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

I agree in the case you point out its silly that its damageing the ship, but50-cal can be quite effective against ships when fired from aircraft, and especially with special rounds.

While most warships had decent armor, and thick 'enough' deck armor to stop 50 cal, many light ships boats and transports ships were vuneralble. When fireing incendiarty bullets they could start fires or for example kill the deck crew. Of course were talking a lot of rounds here being fired.

bizness

FH Dev

50 XP

22nd October 2004

0 Uploads

543 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

i agree with you on the boys at rifle. i tried it out for the first time and it made me think of the part at the end of the movie "saving private ryan" where tom hanks is shooting a pistol at a german tank.

Montoya

FH Dev

50 XP

18th June 2003

0 Uploads

465 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

the Boys AT rifle in real life was terrible - it was known by troops as "Charlie the Bastard". Im sure it will be looked into, but even on the eve of war, the Boys was substandard rubbish, I certainly wouldn't expect to run into a tankbattle expecting it to pwn

bizness

FH Dev

50 XP

22nd October 2004

0 Uploads

543 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago
amaccannthe Boys AT rifle in real life was terrible - it was known by troops as "Charlie the Bastard". Im sure it will be looked into, but even on the eve of war, the Boys was substandard rubbish, I certainly wouldn't expect to run into a tankbattle expecting it to pwn

on that note......atleast it looks cool. :tommygun:

Tas

Serious business brigade

50 XP

3rd September 2004

0 Uploads

7,275 Posts

0 Threads

#9 13 years ago
amaccannthe Boys AT rifle in real life was terrible - it was known by troops as "Charlie the Bastard". Im sure it will be looked into, but even on the eve of war, the Boys was substandard rubbish, I certainly wouldn't expect to run into a tankbattle expecting it to pwn

Then can we at least have more piat pickup kits?:uhm:

U.K.M.

50 XP

1st May 2005

0 Uploads

12 Posts

0 Threads

#10 13 years ago

I manned the submarine bow deck gun and the sub would dive and I could still man the cannon and shoot at and score hits at Juno below the water line. Huh?