Forgotten Hope for Battlefield 1942 on Windows Vista -1 reply

Please wait...

We're currently in the process of moving servers, parts or all of the site will be unavailable for a few hours. Sorry for any inconvenience!

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

19th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

[COLOR=black]Forgotten Hope for Battlefield 1942 on Windows Vista[/COLOR] Since there are some people having problems with FH on Vista, showing up from time to time, I thought such FAQ would be useful. If anybody encounters something I did no mention, feel free to post it here, so that we can keep all the problems and sollutions for FH on this OS here.

[COLOR=black]Known problems[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Crash to desktop during map loading[/COLOR] Despite that Battlefield 1942 works fine on Vista, Forgotten Hope is known to crush while loading maps. Here's a solution that should help you if you're experiencing such problem.
This has been tested with Forgotten Hope 0.7 + Forgotten Hope Official Fan Map Pack 6 installed on Battlefield 1942 v. 1.61b running on the most recent version of Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit version with up to date hardware drivers.
  1. [COLOR=black]Make sure all of your hardware drivers are up to date, particularly your graphics card driver.[/COLOR]
  2. Install Forgotten Hope 0.7 on up to date version of Battlefield 1942 (1.61b).
  3. From Start Menu, choose Computer and go to the following location (looks like this if you followed default settings):

32-bit Vista Local Disk (C:)/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 1942/ 64-bit Vista Local Disk (C:)/Program Files (x86)/EA GAMES/Battlefield 1942/ Localize BF1942 application and right click on it. The below presented window should appear:

Spoiler: Show
instructionsxd1.jpg
[COLOR=black]Click on the Compatibility Bar on top, to the right from General which is opened by default.[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Click on the "Run this program in compatibility for:" box so that it's marked.[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Select Windows 98/Windows ME from the drop down menu.[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Click OK in the bottom of the window.[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]No, you don't need to "Run this program as an administrator".[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]You're done, everything should work fine from now on.[/COLOR]

"Bright" shadows It appears that vehicle and hand weapon shadows are rendered incorrectly, resulting in very bright spots instead of appropiate shadows.

This has been tested with Forgotten Hope 0.7 + Forgotten Hope Official Fan Map Pack 6 installed on Battlefield 1942 v. 1.61b running on the most recent version of Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit version on Dx9 nVidia graphics card with up to date hardware drivers.
Screenshots:
sillyshadowsqf2.jpg
sillyshadows2pu6.jpg
I have no idea how to fix this, aside from maybe trying to adjust shadow settings in the map files. Might go away with new drivers.

Bowie69

FH Stalker

50 XP

7th November 2005

0 Uploads

46 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago

Great post!

My only gripe at the moment is being unable to set the resolution above the 800x600 enforced by running it in Win98/ME compat mode.....

I have a 1680x1050 monitor here, and like to be able to use it!

Has anyone done any debugging of FH on Vista? I mean, Vanilla BF1942 works.... so it must be Mod-side, right?

I'll be having a look tonight probably, if I find anything I will let you know.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

19th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

Yeah, running the debugger would be a good idea, but I think it'll mostly work for map crashes, if there are any. As for the resolution, I don't know, I'm running FH with abouve described compatibility settings and I can set whatever resolution I want. Maybe it's worth of notice that I have set my graphics driver to not resize the rendered resolution, so that my LCD uses only as many pixels as the currently sued resolution requires. This ofcourse results in black bars on top or on the sides, or all around, but atleast single pixels are not streached. You might want to try it, however with your widescreen it's going to result in black bars on the sides in 4:3 aspect ration resolutions. If this doesn't work, you can manipulate the resolution from a .con file. I never did it myself, as I never had to, but my guess is that the file you need to edit (with notepad) is VideoCustom.con located in EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\Default\, although from what I see it only holds the menu resolution (which is always set to 800x600) setting for me. You can still try though, or wait for someone who is certain which file you need to edit.

R38 4010

Yankees pwn Mets

50 XP

7th June 2007

0 Uploads

167 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

Inteseting, my monitor still uses 1680x1050 when running in compabitlity for Windows ME. And I didn't change any files. Mabye it's by luck.

Bowie69

FH Stalker

50 XP

7th November 2005

0 Uploads

46 Posts

0 Threads

#5 11 years ago

Hmm weird, I just tried it again, went into video options, and chose 1280x960, hit save, and now instead of 640x480 my monitor says 1680x1050...... result! if a little weird....

On another note, anyone used the BF1942 debugger before?

I get some results, but nothing really conclusive.....

BFMainNewRend\Setup.cpp(3484): Debug: BFMainNewRend: BF1942 (Ver: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:34:56) BFMainNewRend\Setup.cpp(3485): Debug: BFMainNewRend: Running on computer DESKTOP BFMainNewRend\Setup.cpp(3490): Debug: BFMainNewRend: Log generated by the community debug executable. Engine\Core\Locale.cpp(182): Debug: Core: Loaded lexicon "Mods/FH/lexiconAll.dat" Engine\Core\Locale.cpp(182): Debug: Core: Loaded lexicon "Mods/BF1942/lexiconAll.dat" Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1497): Warning: Io: Error mods/fh/init.con (4): game.customGameFlushArchives 0 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1498): Warning: Io: Error mods/fh/init.con: Unknown object or method! BFMainNewRend\Setup.cpp(7678): Warning: BFMainNewRend: number of custom games found: 2 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1769): Debug: Io: CRC32: (run) Mods/bf1942/init.con Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1769): Debug: Io: CRC32: (run) Mods/FH/init.con Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1497): Warning: Io: Error Mods/FH/init.con (4): game.customGameFlushArchives 0 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1498): Warning: Io: Error Mods/FH/init.con: Unknown object or method! BFMainNewRend\Setup.cpp(3745): Warning: BFMainNewRend: dep: setting up archive ids for all BF1942 flavors BFMainNewRend\Setup.cpp(7556): Warning: BFMainNewRend: path to load archives from: Mods/FH/Archives/ Engine\IoFile\FlatArchive.cpp(666): Debug: IoFile: Couldn't open flat archive file "Mods/FH/Archives/shaders.rfa" Engine\IoFile\FlatArchive.cpp(666): Debug: IoFile: Couldn't open flat archive file "Mods/FH/Archives/font.rfa" Engine\IoFile\FlatArchive.cpp(666): Debug: IoFile: Couldn't open flat archive file "Mods/FH/Archives/texture_001.rfa" Engine\IoFile\FlatArchive.cpp(666): Debug: IoFile: Couldn't open flat archive file "Mods/FH/Archives/sound_001.rfa" Engine\IoFile\FlatArchive.cpp(666): Debug: IoFile: Couldn't open flat archive file "Mods/FH/Archives/standardMesh_001.rfa" Engine\IoFile\FlatArchive.cpp(666): Debug: IoFile: Couldn't open flat archive file "Mods/FH/Archives/ai.rfa" Engine\IoFile\FlatArchive.cpp(666): Debug: IoFile: Couldn't open flat archive file "Mods/FH/Archives/menu_001.rfa" BFMainNewRend\Setup.cpp(7556): Warning: BFMainNewRend: path to load archives from: Mods/BF1942/Archives/ Engine\IoFile\FlatArchive.cpp(666): Debug: IoFile: Couldn't open flat archive file "Mods/BF1942/Archives/menu_001.rfa"

A few of these:

Warning: RendPCDX8: Storing monitor mode w: 1680 h: 1050 b: 16 r: 60 Engine\RendPCDX8\PCDX8RendererInit.cpp(773):

Then pages and pages of this:

Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36/objects.con: Unknown object or method! Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1497): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36/objects.con (121): ObjectTemplate.startoneffects 0 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1498): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36/objects.con: Unknown object or method! Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1497): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36/objects.con (125): ObjectTemplate.setInputId -1 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1498): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36/objects.con: Unknown object or method! Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1497): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36/objects.con (126): ObjectTemplate.startoneffects 1 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1498): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36/objects.con: Unknown object or method! BFMainNewRend\game.cpp(283): Debug: BFMainNewRend: CRC32: loadAllConFiles: objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/ai/weapons.con BFMainNewRend\game.cpp(289): Debug: BFMainNewRend: CRC32: (disable) objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/ai/weapons.con AI\WeaponTemplateManager.cpp(48): Debug: AI: WeaponTemplate 'Mas36GrenadeAI' successfully created BFMainNewRend\game.cpp(283): Debug: BFMainNewRend: CRC32: loadAllConFiles: objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/geometries.con Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1769): Debug: Io: CRC32: (run) objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/geometries.con BFMainNewRend\game.cpp(283): Debug: BFMainNewRend: CRC32: loadAllConFiles: objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1769): Debug: Io: CRC32: (run) objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1497): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con (34): ObjectTemplate.setAmomBarPosX 6 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1498): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con: Unknown object or method! Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1497): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con (35): ObjectTemplate.setAmomBarPosY -17 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1498): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con: Unknown object or method! Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1497): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con (36): ObjectTemplate.setAmomBarTextPosX 5 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1498): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con: Unknown object or method! Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1497): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con (37): ObjectTemplate.setAmomBarTextPosY 10 Engine\Io\Console.cpp(1498): Warning: Io: Error objects/handweapons/mas36grenade/objects.con: Unknown object or method! Engine\BoneAnimation\Skeleton.cpp(92): Warning: BoneAnimation: Skeleton (.SKE) file not found "animations/Mas36.ske" WorldObjTemplBF\AnimatedBundle.cpp(619): Warning: WorldObjTemplBF: Skeleton animations/Mas36.ske not found

It always crashes at the same point, this last extract being the end of the log.

There is no output like that at all when running Vanilla 1942.

It almost seems to me that there is a path issue with Vista that is affecting all the mods... I haven't tried it, mainly because I don't know how yet (:P) but looking at that, would merging the standard BF1942.

This is somewhat confirmed by a post or two I have seen that state a mod on a mod will not run on 1942, which is what FH is essentially, a mod on BF1942.

Am googling a bit, will let you know if I find anything....

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,261 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

*stickied*

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 11 years ago

First of all i want to say thanks to Pvt. Allen, you have enabled me to play on FH. However i have encountered another problem. I can load levels and play them fine. Unfortunatly when i press the "esc" key the game crashes and i get sent to the desktop. I am not bothered with minor bugs in the gameplay, as this seems inevitable with Vista, however this is quite a serious error which i would like to overcome. If anyone has encountered this problem before and has some help for me it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#8 11 years ago

Its okay now folks i managed to fix my problem. All i did was run BF1942 as an administrator:dance:

Eatlead

Noobing it up in here

50 XP

29th May 2007

0 Uploads

48 Posts

0 Threads

#9 11 years ago

does anyone know how to fix the no crossair problem with fh on vista? the video card is a nvidia geforce 6150le integreted

Bowie69

FH Stalker

50 XP

7th November 2005

0 Uploads

46 Posts

0 Threads

#10 11 years ago

Make sure you have the up to date drivers, they fix a LOT of problems, including a CTD I was getting every time after loading a map.