SolidRaven

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

31st January 2006

0 Uploads

24 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

Hi all, I've recently got seperated from mapping due to bad pc :p Now everything is up and running, and (again) I'm gonna try mapping with ed42 (wich I had great difficulties with:rolleyes:) Ok, I installed ed42, and was going to extract all rfa files that I need to start mapping with ed42. I stumbled on something that I didnt knew what to do with.. As explained in the installation I needed to extract files from object.rfa, textures.rfa,.. But now I see in the mod/bf1942 folder this --> standardMesh.rfa, standardMesh_001.rfa, texture.rfa, texture_001.rfa

What should I do with this? Do I need to extract also those (strange) '_001' .rfa files? What are they? Thx in advance

SacredLizard

Its cupnoodles not cuponoodles

50 XP

23rd April 2004

0 Uploads

918 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

you can extract these files in exactly the same way you would for the regular files (the files without the _001) they will fall into the same folders for your standardmesh and textures. (ie: just extract them without worrying about the _001) These files are simply added on to the existing files, I believe that some teams do it this way to save time or to preserve older versions while at the same time moving ahead with new versions of the same content.

Mr_Cheese

FH Dev

50 XP

12th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,997 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

The "_001.rfa" files are patches. To install them in Ed42 first extract the original then any patches in numerical order. For example: texture.rfa then texture_001.rfa, texture_002.rfa etc etc...

Edit - or what SacredLizard just said... :p

SacredLizard

50 XP

23rd April 2004

0 Uploads

918 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

yeah, good point, it would be a good idea to do them in order...^

SolidRaven

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

31st January 2006

0 Uploads

24 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

I thought it were something like patches, thx

SacredLizard

50 XP

23rd April 2004

0 Uploads

918 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

In a way that is correct, whatever file is in them would overlap (overwrite) any identically named one in the previous version.

Mr_Cheese

FH Dev

50 XP

12th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,997 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

Yeah, that's what I was driving at.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago
SacredLizardIn a way that is correct, whatever file is in them would overlap (overwrite) any identically named one in the previous version.

Isn't that basically a point of the patch anyway?

SacredLizard

50 XP

23rd April 2004

0 Uploads

918 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

what did you want me to say, then? I said that he was correct. Or are you really asking what the point of a patch is? You see, a patch contains files in them that overlap (overwrite) any identically named files in the previous version of the file which is being patched. Sort of like when your pants have a hole in them, and you sew a "patch" over it. some of that "patch" overlaps, replaces, if you will, the original pants surrounding the hole. Also, the patch covers the hole, thereby enhancing the overall utility of the pants.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

No, you just said it in a way leaving me doubts if you don't confuse what patch exactly is. I sure know what patch is and use this type of questions as statements.