The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

152 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

Hi!

As the TDP mappack 6 is coming very soon, here are screens about oder river 1945 (the first oder river was released in may 2004:)) oder1.jpgoder2.jpgoder3.jpgoder4.jpgoder5.jpgoder6.jpgoder7.jpgoder8.jpg

This is my second map included in TDp mappack 6 after Rage at Carentan: http://forums.filefront.com/fh-mapping/325073-prepare-fight-carentan.html

I hope you'll have fun on it :)

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago

Looks very promising, but quite clean and empty at this point, but I guess it's also a WIP, like your Carentan map.:) One qustion though, didn't Russians reach River Odra sometime around February or March? That'd mean that this reagion would either be covered in snow, or be a leave-less, pile of wet dirt covered in last year's dried grass and other low vegetation. If we skip realism thoguh, this looks pretty much like it should. Add some more sand or dirt roads beteween the fields, varry the textures in the town, make it seem less deserted iwth more statics and it should be a spot on. I think that a couple of more very small trees here and there, in small groups on unused fields would look nicely too. Small elevation changes, like depressions in dirt roads, ditches near the fields and so on would make it a bit more infantry friendly too I think. For the end, shouldn't the tarmac roads be in a bit better shape at this time? As far as I know, Germans built most of them in the area somewhere around the time of ww2, and we still have some of their roads here and there in Poland. What's very notable about them, is their high durability and overally good shape after all these years. Hence I don't think they'd look so bad in times of ww2. However, I think you should keep them, because the texture you've made for them, is realy brilliant. One more thing, leaving the fact that the river is a bit too thin, I think that its banks don't look very real. Playing with mud textures and adding some vegetation around (the big bushes used in FH hedgerowes). Sorry if my post looks like trolling, I just thought I'd suggest a couple of things concerning the area's appearance. But I guess you planned most of these things for the later stages of map developement anyway. Keep up your work!

otolikos

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

152 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

thx for your comments Allen:)

The problem in adding more objects is less fps on low PCs. It's a compromise.More objects=less fps or less view distance for minimum performance on Low PCs. I ve removed about 500 trees since the previous version cause too much lag with 64 players.......

The map is concentrated in the west oder river side in Avril 1945 so no more snow :)

you can see a rare video color about the battle here:

YouTube - River Oder, 1945, Wehrmaht, COLOR WAR FILM !

Neri

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

23rd November 2006

0 Uploads

34 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

Awesome! Very nice german airfield - altought the russian one looks like crap, its just a wip, right?

The textures are just great.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#5 11 years ago
otolikos;3857269thx for your comments Allen:) The problem in adding more objects is less fps on low PCs. It's a compromise.More objects=less fps or less view distance for minimum performance on Low PCs. I ve removed about 500 trees since the previous version cause too much lag with 64 players....... The map is concentrated in the west oder river side in Avril 1945 so no more snow :) you can see a rare video color about the battle here: YouTube - River Oder, 1945, Wehrmaht, COLOR WAR FILM !

That's a shame, the map looked like it still had a good performance "reservuar". But if that's so, I guess just a couple of wrecks and simple but not so small objects here and there may do the trick. And yes, the video presents pretty well how the landscape and vegetation looks around this part of the year.

jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

pvt. allen, the Rus reached the Oder in mid-January, 1945, but didn't attempt a crossing until on or about April 16.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 11 years ago

otolikos;3857269you can see a rare video color about the battle here:

YouTube - River Oder, 1945, Wehrmaht, COLOR WAR FILM !

Very interesting. Although there's no snow, judging from their gloves and hoodies it seems to still be cold outside...something to remember when picking soldier skins.