H2HSnake

For Your freedom and Ours

50 XP

5th June 2003

0 Uploads

765 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

I think that it's importand day not only for Poles but for all europeans too 86 years ago Poland stopped on itself the full brunt of the Red Army and defeated an idea of the "export of the revolution.". Communist time table was slowed 24 years and countries of the Central Europe were spared from communist rule for a quarter of a century. Western Europe, where revolutionary fever was boiling over on the streets, was spared a bloody fight for survival. Unfortunately, political and military significance of this victory was never fully appreciated by Europeans. http://www.hetmanusa.org/engarticle1.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Warsaw_(1920) none of the allies(like in WWII) wanted to help in stopping communist,bolshevik flood that was ment to swallow whole europe...

it's also a Day of Polish Army - 15 August i was on the anniversary in my town-Lublin and took some photos

[nl]Invincible

FH Betatester

50 XP

29th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,437 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

Wow another Poland topic?, Was one topic not enough? I dont realy know much about the history of polland..so il shut up and just read...

H2HSnake

50 XP

5th June 2003

0 Uploads

765 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

now some pics:

whole anniversary took place on Litewski(Lithuanian) platz,we have 4 monuments there: Polish-Lithuanian Union,Monument of Unknown Soldier,Monument of (Main chief)Józef Piłsudski(Joseph Pilsudski),Monument of Constitution of 3th May.

here's Pilsudski monument: ResizeofWP001.jpg

again but with some high rank officers in front of it(some veterans near me) ResizeofWP002.jpg

Polish army Orchestra ResizeofWP009.jpg

some veterans again,they were mostly from AK(Home Army) ResizeofWP003.jpgResizeofWP013.jpg

Lancers representation ResizeofWP011.jpg

Soldiers marching ResizeofWP008.jpg

veteran Pilot(someone was taking a shot of him with monument on the background so i took my chance ;) ResizeofWP010.jpg

a monument of Constitution of the 3th May (it was second constitution in the world after USA one if I am not mistaken)

ResizeofWP014.jpg

Polska

"The original one"

62 XP

19th September 2004

0 Uploads

5,969 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Ah..

I traveling today with my aunt and cousin when I asked why there were flags all over the town ( White and Red Polish flag & White Blue Zakopane flags ).

My cousin say it because of the Miracle of [SIZE=-1]Wisłą which I totally forgot because it's also my mothers nameday today ( Maria ).

It's not really celebrated in Zakopane as far as I know. :(

Right now I am at my aunt's house, where my cousin gave me very cool polish uniform from which I shall send picture's tonight.

[/SIZE]

Seth_Soldier

"Mort aux cons !"

50 XP

23rd December 2003

0 Uploads

883 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

the reason why poland have been created in 1918 is because germany needed a good buffer against the ussr. And it has worked !

Poland was not alone but they have never been keen towards their ex-ennemy. French officers who were send to help them as military adviser and organisator have reported the hatred of the polish officer for the french , "as if the war was not over, they still reacted as prussian officer toward us"

H2HSnake

50 XP

5th June 2003

0 Uploads

765 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago
H2HSnake

50 XP

5th June 2003

0 Uploads

765 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

Seth_Soldierthe reason why poland have been created in 1918 is because germany needed a good buffer against the ussr. And it has worked !

Poland was not alone but they have never been keen towards their ex-ennemy. French officers who were send to help them as military adviser and organisator have reported the hatred of the polish officer for the french , "as if the war was not over, they still reacted as prussian officer toward us"

to Your knowledge Poland existed from 966 :) so how could it be created lol it just regained freedom and germans had nothing to do with it,they didn't give us freedom hmm or maybe tnx to their defeat we regained freedom :)but not finally cause there were still russians to fight,to keep this freedom."The Poles were fighting to preserve their newly regained independence, lost in the 1795 third partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, and to carve out the borders of a new multinational federation (Międzymorze) from the territories of their former partitioners, Russia, Germany and the Austria-Hungary."

In 1917 two separate events decisively changed the character of the war and set it on a course toward the rebirth of Poland. The United States entered the conflict on the Allied side, while a process of revolutionary upheaval in Russia weakened her and then removed the Russians from the Eastern Front, finally bringing the Bolsheviks to power in that country. After the last Russian advance into Galicia failed in mid-1917, the Germans went on the offensive again; the army of revolutionary Russia ceased to be a factor, and Russia was forced to sign the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk in which she ceded all formerly Polish lands to the Central Powers. After peace in the East was assured, Germany and Austria-Hungary started a policy of creating a "Mitteleuropa" ("Central Europe") and on November 5, 1917, proclaimed a puppet Kingdom of Poland. The defection of Russia from the Allied coalition gave free rein to the calls of Woodrow Wilson, the American president, to transform the war into a crusade to spread democracy and liberate the Poles and other peoples from the suzerainty of the Central Powers. The thirteenth of his Fourteen Points adopted the resurrection of Poland as one of the main aims of World War I. Polish opinion crystallized in support of the Allied cause. Józef Piłsudski became a popular hero when Berlin jailed him for insubordination. The Allies broke the resistance of the Central Powers by autumn 1918, as the Habsburg monarchy disintegrated and the German imperial government collapsed. In October 1918, Polish authorities took over Galicia and Cieszyn Silesia. In November 1918, Piłsudski was released from internment in Germany by the revolutionaries and returned to Warsaw. Upon his arrival, on November 11, 1918 the Regency Council of the Kingdom of Poland ceded all responsibilities to him and Piłsudski took control over the newly created state as its provisional Chief of State. Soon all the local governments that had been created in the last months of the war pledged allegiance to the central government in Warsaw. Independent Poland, which had been absent from the map of Europe for 123 years, was reborn. The newly created state initially consisted of former Congress Poland, western Galicia (with Lwów besieged by the Ukrainians) and part of Cieszyn Silesia.

H2HSnake

50 XP

5th June 2003

0 Uploads

765 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

The Bolsheviks had in 1919 gained the upper hand in the Russian Civil War, having dealt crippling blows to the White Russians. Vladimir Lenin viewed Poland as a bridge that had to be crossed so that communism could be brought to Central and Western Europe, and the Polish-Bolshevik War seemed the perfect way to test Bolshevik strength. Bolshevik speeches asserted that the revolution was to be carried to western Europe on the bayonets of Soviet soldats and that the shortest route to Berlin and Paris lay through Warsaw.

H2HSnake

50 XP

5th June 2003

0 Uploads

765 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago
Seth_Soldier Poland was not alone but they have never been keen towards their ex-ennemy. French officers who were send to help them as military adviser and organisator have reported the hatred of the polish officer for the french , "as if the war was not over, they still reacted as prussian officer toward us"

Yes they were sent to help The French Military Mission to Poland was an effort by France to aid the nascent Second Polish Republic after it achieved its independence in November, 1918, at the end of the First World War. The aim was to provide aid during the Polish-Soviet War (1919-1921), and to create a strong Polish military to serve as a useful ally against Germany. It was an advisory body consisting of about 400 French officers attached to staffs of Polish units at various levels. Although the French mission was small numerically, its effect was substantial in improving the organisation and logistics of the Polish army. It worked in parallel with the smaller British Military Mission to Poland. It existed from 1918 to 1939. This mission should not be confused with the Interallied Mission to Poland, an improvised effort launched by David Lloyd George on July 21, 1920, at the height of the crisis before the Battle of Warsaw. The purpose of this mission was to send a number of high level personnages from Britain and France to Poland in an attempt to influence Polish policy, possibly through effecting a change in government. They included French diplomat, Jean Jules Jusserand, Maxime Weygand, chief of staff to Marshal Ferdinand Foch (the Supreme Commander of the victorious Entente), and the British diplomat, Lord Edgar Vincent D'Abernon. The crucial battle of Warsaw was won in the early days of August, before the mission could achieve anything of importance. The only tangible result was the installation of Weygand as an advisor the Polish General Staff, where his role was negligible. Nevertheless, soon after the battle and for various political reasons, a myth arose that Weygand was the author of the Polish victory in the battle of Warsaw. According to recent research, the French Military Mission to Poland proposed only a minor tactical counter-attack of two divisions towards Mińsk Mazowiecki. Its aim would have been to push the Bolshevik forces 30 kilometres back in order to ease subsequent ceasefire negotiations. On the other hand, Gen. Rozwadowski's plan called for a deeper thrust into Russian lines from the area of Wieprz. However, Piłsudski proposed a large scale operation, with significant forces committed to beating the enemy forces rather than merely pushing them back. The plan was opposed by the French mission, which did not believe that the Polish Army would be able to regroup after a 600 kilometre retreat.

H2HSnake

50 XP

5th June 2003

0 Uploads

765 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

Poland after reganing independence 782px-Rzeczpospolita_1920.jpg

wow my city Lublin was almost in the centre of Poland under the Warsaw :D Here You can see our beloved cities Lwów and Wilno ,they were given to USSR after Yalta conference in Teheran :(

For those who don't want to read the whole story about "battle of Warsaw" i got short descryption: The Battle of Warsaw was fought from 13 to 25 August 1920 as Red Army forces commanded by Mikhail Tukhachevski approached the Polish capital of Warsaw and nearby Modlin Fortress. On August 16 Polish, forces commanded by Józef Piłsudski counter-attacked from the south, forcing the Russian forces into a disorganised withdrawal eastward and behind the Niemen River. Estimated Bolshevik losses were 10,000 killed, 500 missing, 10,000 wounded and 66,000 taken prisoner, compared with Polish losses of some 4,500 killed, 10,000 missing and 22,000 wounded. know You know why Stalin hated Poland so much :)