jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

I enjoy many different sorts of movies, and I'm pretty good with movie trivia, particularly about those made between the 30's and 80's. I respect well made movies and excellent performances. It's nice when the movies I like are appreciated by others as well, although I don't take myself so seriously as to insist they be called "films".

What brings all this to mind is the fact I've just watched a retrospective of director John Ford's films (oops!), and I'm once again amazed at how many fantastically good movies were made in 1939. Not just good ones, but iconic movies, movies that stand as an archetype of a genre, or were the first big movie of a star, or were the source of words or phrases that became a part of our everyday culture.

Let's look as just some of the movie released in 1939: [INDENT]Allegheny Uprising; Beau Geste; Dark Victory; Destry Rides Again; Dodge City; Drums Along The Mohawk; Each Dawn I Die; Elizabeth The Queen; The Four Feathers; Golden Boy; Gone With The Wind; Goodbye Mr. Chips; The Great Man Votes; Gunga Din; The Hound Of The Baskervilles; Huckleberry Finn: The Hunchback Of Notre Dame; Intermezzo; Jesse James; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Of Mice And Men; Only Angels Have Wings; Ninotchka: The Private Lives Of Elizabeth And Essex; The Rules Of The Game (La Regle Du Jeu) Stagecoach; Stanley And Livingston; The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell; The Story Of Vernon And Irene Castle; The Three Musketeers; Union Pacific; Wizard Of Oz; The Women; Wuthering Heights; You Can't Cheat An Honest Man; Young Mister Lincoln

[/INDENT]And then there were installements in the "series" movies: Andy Hardy, Blondie, Charlie Chan, Cisco Kid, Frankenstein, Mr. Moto, Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, The Thin Man, Topper. When you take into consideration that many movies from 1938 were undountedly still playing throughout 1939, we can add to the list: [INDENT]The Adventures Of Robin Hood; Alexander Nevsky: Alexander's Ragtime Band; Angels With Dirty Faces; Boys Town; Bringing Up Baby; A Christmas Carol; The Dawn Patrol; Jezebel; The Lady Vanishes; Pygmalion; Room Service; Snow White And The Seven Dwarves; Tell Your Children (more often seen under the title, "Reefer Madness"); You Can't Take It With You [/INDENT]That's pretty dang impressive. Other years can be in the running, particularly in the 1950's, but my unchallenged fave is good old 1939. What movies, what a year. When we all lived with Mom and Dad and Little Sister, and ate dinner at 6:00 pm, every night, all around the dinner table for a meal Mom had been cooking for the last couple of hours. When we could listen to a few radio programs in the living room before we went to bed by 9:00. Before WWII got everybody involved in it. Before we knew too much and believed too little.

When I watch those movies, that's what it feels like.

Commissar MercZ

Notable Loser

300,005 XP

29th January 2005

0 Uploads

27,113 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago

Well seing how Americans were a bit more closeminded in those days, and those movies brought something unique and original to the table, I think I can agree with you that it was a good year for movies.

DerMann

Webley Fanatic

50 XP

9th November 2004

0 Uploads

305 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

I dunno, one of my all time favorite movies, Top Hat, was released in 1935, so I'm going to have to decline your claim seeing as there was only one Fred Astaire movie released that year (and it wasn't a great one, either).

jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

Sure, there are wonderful movies in other years, 1935's Top Hat surely among them. But IMO no year had so many great movies as the sublime 1939.

Von Mudra

Lo, I am Mudra, za emo soldat!

50 XP

25th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,064 Posts

0 Threads

#5 11 years ago

Ah, old movies, how I love them. Back when plots existed, when true drama and discussion was used to captivate an audience, instead of explosions and sex. When comedy took brains to understand, and when the drinking, smoker, was the hero, not the villian. When all the men wore stylish suits, and the women wore beautiful dresses. I wonder if those days might ever return.... There's a reason people I know say I should have lived in the early 1900s....

Sleestack

Got some death to do.

50 XP

10th July 2006

0 Uploads

656 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

Nice list, except for reefer madness unless your calling it a comedy.:D

Lupin

[ยน2ACR]

50 XP

26th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,259 Posts

0 Threads

#7 11 years ago
Von Mudra;3345111Ah, old movies, how I love them. Back when plots existed, when true drama and discussion was used to captivate an audience, instead of explosions and sex. When comedy took brains to understand, and when the drinking, smoker, was the hero, not the villian. When all the men wore stylish suits, and the women wore beautiful dresses. I wonder if those days might ever return.... There's a reason people I know say I should have lived in the early 1900s....

Me too man, me too..

Polska

"The original one"

62 XP

19th September 2004

0 Uploads

5,969 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago

I love the 1930's version of all Quiet on the Western Front.

FatJoe

Terrorist

50 XP

13th May 2003

0 Uploads

1,045 Posts

0 Threads

#9 11 years ago

Agreed..

What a fantastic year, and indeed fantastic era of movies. The look and the feel, the characters, the plot and the dialogs. Good dialogs are gone in todays movies, mostly :\

In general, I have to agree, also, with Von Mudra. I especialy like the clothing of that time. Hats for example is something I'd very much like to see more of. I see there are more and more people starting to wear hats again, and so I've decided to follow that trend and got my self a fedora like (Indiana Jones) hat.

I'll be quite happy the day I see more people drop the jeans and start wearing the good old trousers, a shirt and a smart jacket, instead of a t-shirt saying "I love the boobs!"

Polska

"The original one"

62 XP

19th September 2004

0 Uploads

5,969 Posts

0 Threads

#10 11 years ago
FatJoe;3345230I'll be quite happy the day I see more people drop the jeans and start wearing the good old trousers, a shirt and a smart jacket, instead of a t-shirt saying "I love the boobs!"

But I love boobs. :(