jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

I'm playing around with the idea of these cards. Anyone have any experience with the GeForce 7950? Is there a significant performance difference which clearly justifes the premium price for a 7950? (I mean, heck, other than one is 1G, one is 512mb). And what about the "Dual" versions? Is there a significant performance upgrade for the hefty price increase?

Also, any thoughts on an extra $300+ bucks to get 4gb RAM as opposed to 2gb? I'm inclined to think $ spent on vid card is more valuable than merely doubling up RAM. Thoughts?

Josey Wales

Save the wales !

50 XP

1st December 2003

0 Uploads

508 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

Videocard with 1 Gig Videoram ? Waste of money. 4 Gigs of Ram ? Waste of money.

You´d be better off posting the rest of your system Specs, and then we´ll see what makes sense.

JW

StrangerThanFiction

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,110 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

I do not know exactly where the boundaries lie, but 4 Gigs of ram sounds a bit excessive, unless you are planning on doing work with video, or 3D, very complex photoshop work, or something similar, The main advantage of the "single card SLI" type video boards seem to be that:

• they are cheaper than two seperate cards with similar specs
  • will run on motherboards with only one PCI-Express slot
  • Take up fewer PCI-express slots, when there is more than one (except it is unclear to me if the unused PCI-Express slot is accessible after these rather wide video cards are installed)

I am trying to figure out the the angles on the current hardware situation as well. My old rig just isn't up to what I want it to do.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

The new GeForce should be basically double as good as it's singular form. Altohugh I don't know anythign about it realy, I'm afraid that tehre could be issues with easyer overheating, or it's power could be useless now, definately not for games and it is gaming card. The advantag abouve SLI of this card might be the fact, except waht posted aboue, that it's pugged into one PCI-E x16 slot making it ran as one unit on PCI x16, and not like in case of SLI, where PCI transmition is slower. 4 GB of RAM, as Starnger said are also pretty too much, buy only if you are compleately sure they are nececry for some fancy work, otherwise 2 GB are more than fine. They're not even too common in gaming pcs yet.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 12 years ago

You should just settle for a 7900 GTX or X1900XT+ DX 10 is going to come out in a few months so I think the 7950 GX2 is is just a bunch of hype so is Sli. 4 GB is waste 2 GB is enough and will be for a long time.

jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

Thanks all. I think I can use something from what each of you posted. I'm getting ready to create a system. Usually I draw the line below $3,000, includng peripherals. Now I'm noodling with the idea of having a system built, and opting for high-end performance and quality. I've got the fever.

stylie

Mas stylie por favor...

50 XP

13th April 2005

0 Uploads

5,004 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

7900 gtx beats the x1900xtx using BF2. Not the case with Oblivion.

jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

Yeah I'm partial to the Nvid if only because they've got a lot of the market.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago
stylie7900 gtx beats the x1900xtx using BF2. Not the case with Oblivion.

I play Oblivion on highest with 7900GT and it's still not bad.

StrangerThanFiction

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,110 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

I am curious to know what processor/mobo you are looking at JumJum. That is what has me flummoxed. AM2 procs seem respectable, but not amazing. Conroe is impressive, but not really available yet. AM2 4x4 is probably not important for gaming (yet), but might be have a lot of value for modding--no idea when that will really appear.