emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

Seems in 1943 US found itself desperate and severely short of fleet carriers. The HMS Victorious was loaned to the USN and operated with US flight crews and US aircraft. Also Saratoga operated some FAA Avengers off the Saratoga.

Best I can tell the US aircraft appeared to be FM2 Wildcats and TBF Avengers.

Refitted at Norfolk Navy Yard USA, winter 1942-43, after which she was loaned to the US Pacific Fleet until being replaced by USS Essex. Despite its massive industrial muscle, the United States still found itself short of carriers in the Pacific, the only American carrier available in the South Pacific was USS Saratoga. HMS Victorious sailed to Pearl Harbor to join USS Saratoga's Battle Group, Task Force 14. She arrived and took up duties under Task Force 14 in the the Southwest Pacific on 17th May 1943. Renamed the USS Robin, she embarked US aircraft and aircrew, and with the Saratoga swept the Soloman Islands, whilst Saratoga embarked all the strike squadrons including the Fleet Air Arm 832 Squadron Avengers.

So there would be historical precedent for FAA aircraft to operate off US carriers and US aircraft to operate off Brit carriers in FH2.

JohnWalker

The Few. The Proud.

50 XP

14th November 2004

0 Uploads

2,330 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago
Anlushac11;3820093 So there would be historical precedent for FAA aircraft to operate off US carriers and US aircraft to operate off Brit carriers in FH2.

I'd bring that up in General my man.