Picture of the day -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2591 10 years ago

Stray03;4848576I'm posting this for the beaufighter picture debate we had a while ago.

Spoiler: Show
Now you know where the images came from

Holy cow, that's intense.

Rare footage too, excellent find.

Von Mudra

Lo, I am Mudra, za emo soldat!

50 XP

25th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,064 Posts

0 Threads

#2592 10 years ago

The narrator says they took down 5 brit planes. Wonder how many the actually got?

Then again, one of those AA guns has a good 7-8 kill rings on it...good crew ;)

jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#2593 10 years ago

That's great footage. I don't see how any plane survived flying that close in - the second B-fighter had it's bottom ripped up pretty well by 20mm (could have been mg fire) at about the :30 mark. I don't see how it stayed in the air, but I assume if it had gone in the drink the camera would have caught it.

As far as bombing, I saw at least two torpedoes, no? And those drops that were so far out I assume were all torpedoes.

Greay, great clip.

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#2594 10 years ago

Excellent footage. And the voice of the commentator is just funny, every time I hear his voice I kinda have to smile over the high pitched manner he talks in. Hehehe.

Von Mudra

50 XP

25th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,064 Posts

0 Threads

#2595 10 years ago

jumjum;4849034That's great footage. I don't see how any plane survived flying that close in - the second B-fighter had it's bottom ripped up pretty well by 20mm (could have been mg fire) at about the :30 mark. I don't see how it stayed in the air, but I assume if it had gone in the drink the camera would have caught it.

As far as bombing, I saw at least two torpedoes, no? And those drops that were so far out I assume were all torpedoes.

Greay, great clip.

As I said, they said that 5 planes went into the drink, but I didn't see any video of it. Perhaps the camera man was only near those guns, and so didn't have time to run to the other side of the boat to see the planes go in, because of the next waves of attack?

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2596 10 years ago

I love how that Flak Vierling sounds.. frightering sound..

I want that in FH2!

Btw.. WTH are we doing here?

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2597 10 years ago

Were the big splashes caused by them going in, or torp's exploding (no ships).

Von Mudra

50 XP

25th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,064 Posts

0 Threads

#2598 10 years ago
torenico;4849103 Btw.. WTH are we doing here?

Its a better forum, that's what.

And the splashs are, I believe, missed bombs. The german narrator says they dropped bombs first, then torps.

Von Mudra

50 XP

25th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,064 Posts

0 Threads

#2599 10 years ago

bundesarchivbild101i301.jpg

sheikyerbouti

I spend enough time here

50 XP

11th April 2008

0 Uploads

814 Posts

0 Threads

#2600 10 years ago

H_002722.jpg [INDENT]August 1940[/INDENT]MAKER: [INDENT]War Office official photographer[/INDENT] OBJECT TYPE: [INDENT]Official photograph[/INDENT] FORMAT DESCRIPTION: [INDENT]Official photograph[/INDENT] DESCRIPTION: [INDENT]Members of the Home Guard stage an attack on an enemy 'tank' - in reality a corrugated iron mock-up - as they defend a concrete road barrier with petrol bombs, August 1940 Btw, I am necroing this thread just so I can bloody well post something as the new forums hate me. Vive le Filefront, [/INDENT]