AussiePepsi

Addicted to GF

50 XP

20th December 2004

0 Uploads

257 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

I was wondering weather the German people pay the German veterans any respect?

I mean do they hold a parade every year, is there a public holiday celebrating there sacrifice?

Or are they all treated like criminals, Nazis? which isn't true for most the soldiers who where just fighting for there country.

We have Anzacs day tomorrow where we parade our vets which is how i got this question in my head.

Jetro

There's a satchel on your tank

50 XP

6th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,473 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

I wouldn't know. But it would seem to me people wouldn't want to celebrate holdidays for wars they lost.

Krazy Kommando

=2AIF=

50 XP

21st September 2004

0 Uploads

558 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

^indeed. which is really quite sad... our ANZAC day is a wonderful thing. people dont realize what these war vet's really went through, and its a good thing to remind everyone about it every year. even if your country lost a war (or even started it), it doesnt make it any less of a sacrifise. they were still fighting for the same things that the "other team" were.

Polska

"The original one"

62 XP

19th September 2004

0 Uploads

5,969 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

I don't think it has anything to do with losing the war, I think they just feel guilty and they think they are responsible and shouldn't hold annual holidays for it. It's sad that so many German soldiers never ever got credit for anything, when they were send to the most horrible places just to die for the dreams of a madman.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

I don't know but I wouldn't blame them for celebrating some. I know that they are celebrating anniversary of failur of Hitler's assasination in Wolfschanze in 1944. There are some celebrations in the building where many of the German officers (judget guilty by Nazis) were killed. It's nothing happy ofcourse.

AussiePepsi

Addicted to GF

50 XP

20th December 2004

0 Uploads

257 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

I believe it doesn't matter if they lost, if there leader was a mad man etc,etc

We all can agree a public holiday or parade of some sort to honor the German sacrifice... We can't think of these soldiers as evil, as Nazi's as most where not simple Men,Woman and children in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Fuzzy Bunny

Luke, I am your mother.

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

6,274 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

I don't think so--all my German friends seem to have this attitude of "it's over, it's done with, it wasn't my fault personally, but we won't let it happen again, so no need to keep digging it up, so let's get on with things."

jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago
Jetro...But it would seem to me people wouldn't want to celebrate holdidays for wars they lost.

There are still quite a few American Southerners and Irish Catholics who do just that.

Fuzzy Bunny

Luke, I am your mother.

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

6,274 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago
jumjumThere are still quite a few American Southerners and Irish Catholics who do just that.

Not to mention OUR FRIENDS IN BRAZIL, JAWOHL.

Best letter to the editor ever: in response to a GQ article basically making fun of descendants of US Confederates hanging out in Northern Brasil--they were invited by Dom Pedro II in 1865 to basically help out with agriculture, and apparently now have a little "we lost but we're still great, nyah nyah" subculture there.

The letter writer ranted and whined about unfair and great culture and bla bla bla. He concluded with the phrase, "why even today, if only we had the horses..."

Editor's response: "...you'd still lose."

HAH.

jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

I've seen either a Nat'l Geo or some documentary of the Brazilian "Confederates", and it is a bizarre subculture. It has come down to the present generation as something like Scarlett-O'Hara-Meets-The-Rain-Forest, where they take hoary Old South stereotypes and on their remembrance days they embrace them with every mestizo fiber of their being. Somehow they miss out on the irony that their ancestors would likely have snubbed them as "mixed bloods".