cc.

2 excited 4 shark week

50 XP

25th May 2004

0 Uploads

3,076 Posts

0 Threads

#11 13 years ago

I think we're forgetting the fact that alot of German Soldiers still believe in Hitler and Nazism. I was watching a television show on Aushwitz or something like that and it had an interview with a German SS Soldier, and even today he still blamed the jews for everything and said the holocaust was blown out of proportion.

It made me sick.

You can't hold a parade for people that still believe in the wrong cause. That's like running a marathon for cancer.

oscar989

http://www.forgottenhonor.com/

50 XP

4th April 2005

0 Uploads

1,621 Posts

0 Threads

#12 13 years ago

Actually a lot of soldiers never did believe in Htiler's words. They were fighting because their country was at war. There is a difference between pride and predjudice.

Fuzzy Bunny

Luke, I am your mother.

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

6,274 Posts

0 Threads

#13 13 years ago
oscar989Actually a lot of soldiers never did believe in Htiler's words. They were fighting because their country was at war. There is a difference between pride and predjudice.

Aaaaand they're off...

Jetro

There's a satchel on your tank

50 XP

6th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,473 Posts

0 Threads

#14 13 years ago
jumjumThere are still quite a few American Southerners and Irish Catholics who do just that.

There are a few southerners down here that love their little reenactments but they are hobbyist at most. There's no national Dixie Day or anything like that though.

Crazy Wolf VIP Member

Snipes With Artillery

277,420 XP

22nd March 2005

0 Uploads

27,192 Posts

0 Threads

#15 13 years ago

If there was, I'd go there* *whistling the "Battle Hymn of the Republic"

jumjum

Write heavy; write hard.

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

6,827 Posts

0 Threads

#16 13 years ago
Jetro...There's no national Dixie Day or anything like that though.

But there is, I am not joking, a Confederate Memorial Day (April 26!) which some southern states still recognize as a memorial to Confederate war dead. There is also Jefferson Davis's birthday (June 3) which some states still recognize. But the prize goes to Robert E. Lee's birthday (January 19), which is recognized the same day as Martin Luther King's birthday, so that public employees can "choose" which day they're using as a holiday.

These days mostly only matter to public employees and lawyers (because the state courthouses close). They are part of a tradition which remains not so much as to honor the Old South, but more as a reward to public employees in lieu of pay, since many southern civil servants tend to be paid somewhat less than their counterparts in other regions.

Buit the re-enactment community in the south is considerably sronger than in the north.

Aaaaand they're off...

Fuzzy, there has to be an FH corollary to Godwin's Law regarding the eternal Good German/Bad German hoohaa. Something along the lines of "The SS Flamebait Hypothesis".

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#17 13 years ago

Adding fuel to the fire, here is a programm asking ex SS-ers (German and Dutch) about how they feel being a former SS-er and all:

http://netwerk.tv/index.jsp?p=items&r=deze_week&a=224402

Click Smalband or Breedband (Broadband) to view the streaming video. A little below it under "Documentaire" thete is even more. haven't checked that one yet but it says it's the complete set of interviews. May be even better to check out. :)

Very intresting, a must see for those who speak Dutch or German. Some of the people interviewed regred what they did, some left the Waffen SS not being able to work in the concentration camps, joining the Heer. Others say not to have known about any warcrimes and an other regrets nothing he has done while in the SS.

Mr_Cheese

FH Dev

50 XP

12th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,997 Posts

0 Threads

#18 13 years ago

Dönitz is having another thread-bumping rampage again it seems... Either that or he hasn't finished his first one after returning ;)

I had an interesting talk with a German guy on this subject. It seems that families remember their own personal losses and stories despite there being no official rememberance movement. But I guess this is remembering them as people, as family rather than as soldiers who gave their lives for their country.