Tas

Serious business brigade

50 XP

4th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,275 Posts

0 Threads

#11 13 years ago

I think you all are being overly anal about this, by simply BROWSING to a site you are giving strangers information who also sell it. Do you think you are safe behind your little IP adress? Think again.

Basicly..

There are billboards in bf2142 maps, these will contain advertisements, the company who takes care of these advertisements records your ip adress and other stuff while you play when the game connects to update the ad.

I'll say again, any website owner can do the same to you, so what's the fuss about all of a sudden? Is this one of those knee jerk"OMFG EA R TEH SUCK" things?

Lt. Leroy

The forum won't promote me

50 XP

27th October 2004

0 Uploads

178 Posts

0 Threads

#12 13 years ago

This is different Raptor, this is a product you pay for...its not a website you casually browse.

[11PzG]matyast

[11PzG] clan leader

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,175 Posts

0 Threads

#13 13 years ago

Yep. I wouldn't pay for something to track me.

And yes, ingame tracking is nice, CD hash and all...but thats only limited to the game. Having spyware on your computer is never good.

Tas

Serious business brigade

50 XP

4th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,275 Posts

0 Threads

#14 13 years ago
Lt. Leroy;3293869This is different Raptor, this is a product you pay for...its not a website you casually browse.

Meh, I don’t see the point in getting all upset over this when you have had information about you collected by even clicking to get into this thread, or even searching something on Google, clicking on an add.. Pretty much everything you do on the internet.

Now, keep in mind that EA cannot afford a slip up. If someone were to find out they were mining/selling personal information they'd be FUBAR, the same cant be said for websites, since their nature is illusive. So I believe it's pretty safe, more than filling out a form on here.

I'm paying for the game, and I’m having fun.. EA is making some money over my back. Do I care? Sure. Enough to moan and boycot the game? No. Do you think those advertisements along the side of soccer/football fields are there to make the price of a stadium ticket/cable subscription less? No I didn’t think so.

Welcome to capitalism people.

Lupin

[¹2ACR]

50 XP

26th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,259 Posts

0 Threads

#15 13 years ago

It's not the spyware we are all mad about (mostly). It's the fact that this is a game set 200+ years into a post apocalyptic FUTURE with ipod ads, mc donalds ads etc. And to people who think it's just a "couple" bill boards, I saw one screen shot that had 5 billboards in one SMALL area. And does EA lower the game price or make it free? Hell no. They still charge you the usual $50 and then rape you with out of context ads that track how long you look at them.

People will keep defending and rationalizing advertisements ingame up to the point where we will have to sit through 10 minute long commercial breaks mid game. "We interrupt this game of bf5 for a word from our sponsors!" and even then people would still be saying "Oh, its just a COUPLE of commercials!". I wouldnt put it past EA to make a say, medieval BF game and put billboards everywhere with advertisements for ipods and other things that wont exist for 2000 years.

People also use the "well sports stadiums/movies/busses/etc have advertisements, why not a game!" There is one major difference between those and a game. A game has gameplay and personal interaction, whereas a movie and a sports game DOESNT. You also dont see advertisements for phonographs and model T's in sports stadiums either (which is essentially the same thing as whats happening with bf2142).

If you give EA or any other game company any slack when it comes to this ingame-out of place-dynamic advertising they will go hog wild with it and gaming will never be the same.

Polska

"The original one"

62 XP

19th September 2004

0 Uploads

5,969 Posts

0 Threads

#16 13 years ago

I have some second thoughts after a second succesful game on battlefield 2142, but all lies in ruins now.

Gen'l Knight

Can't ... give peace a chance?

50 XP

10th April 2004

0 Uploads

1,920 Posts

0 Threads

#17 13 years ago

I actually don't mind the demo per se but this other stuff as mentioned above does leave a nasty taste in your mouth...

Tas

Serious business brigade

50 XP

4th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,275 Posts

0 Threads

#18 13 years ago
'[5thLupin;3294114']It's not the spyware we are all mad about (mostly). It's the fact that this is a game set 200+ years into a post apocalyptic FUTURE with ipod ads, mc donalds ads etc. And to people who think it's just a "couple" bill boards, I saw one screen shot that had 5 billboards in one SMALL area. And does EA lower the game price or make it free? Hell no. They still charge you the usual $50 and then rape you with out of context ads that track how long you look at them.

If you can’t deal with unrealistic games, then sure the game isn't for you, but that's a given. As if having 14yearold screaming to me over VOIP or a "lol" in team chat doesn’t temporarily ruin any "immersion" I might be experiencing. But we all deal with it, even in our beloved FH, and BF2 where T90whatevers face off against m1a2’s and live to tell about it. The truth is I will start ignoring the ads pretty soon, just like I do in real life. I’m not a “ohh look, shiny things!” type of person. If you are than I feel for you, but I doubt you are and assume you’d do the same thing. For me it’s a minor inconvenience, getting anal about an add placed on a billboard is the last thing on my mind when I have a walker with tank backup moving in on my position.

People will keep defending and rationalizing advertisements ingame up to the point where we will have to sit through 10 minute long commercial breaks mid game. "We interrupt this game of bf5 for a word from our sponsors!" and even then people would still be saying "Oh, its just a COUPLE of commercials!". I wouldnt put it past EA to make a say, medieval BF game and put billboards everywhere with advertisements for ipods and other things that wont exist for 2000 years

As if. We all have our limits, mine has not been reached with this, yours is.. Well that’s fine. Complain about it and boycott the game all you want, I’ll be having out having fun stomping infantry with my mech.

People also use the "well sports stadiums/movies/busses/etc have advertisements, why not a game!" There is one major difference between those and a game. A game has gameplay and personal interaction, whereas a movie and a sports game DOESNT.

There’s as much interaction between me and the guy sitting next to me in the bsus/ theater as there is between me and the guy riding with me in the apc, probably less because I'm working together with the guy to accomplish a goal. Just like when watching sports or a movie, we ignore the ads when there is something going on, why would we purposely miss out?

foodmaniac2003

Gelato pwns all

50 XP

11th March 2006

0 Uploads

2,875 Posts

0 Threads

#19 13 years ago

Watch them come out with BF: 2349872394 UNDERGROUND ALIENS

I hope the billboards are destructable scenary :P

MG42Maniac

A man of dubious moral fibre

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

3,932 Posts

0 Threads

#20 13 years ago

foodmaniac2003;3294453Watch them come out with BF: 2349872394 UNDERGROUND ALIENS

I hope the billboards are destructable scenary :P

If you point and click over the billboard it will probobly load up the link in your browser and slash the game down :D