General Rommel

BF2 Files Staff

50 XP

25th October 2004

0 Uploads

2,822 Posts

0 Threads

#21 13 years ago
MG42Maniac;3294489If you point and click over the billboard it will probobly load up the link in your browser and slash the game down :D

DONT JOKE AROUND LILKE THAT

Omni

FH mod team member

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

423 Posts

0 Threads

#22 13 years ago

Raptor, you miss one point - it's all about privacy. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable, knowing that someone is digging through my data and gathering information about my prefferences while I'm playing. Sure, as stated before, any webmaster can do so, but in this case I PAY, so I HAVE a right to keep my private things for me.

And here we come to the next very important point - the License Agreements. Slowly the world of digital media becomes more and more totalitarian. The real agreement means that you have some obligations and some rights as a consumer. But this is, as I can see, is slowly falling apart and the producers/publishers grant them more rights (including installing spyware), while all consumers' rights are "If you don't like it, don't buy" (or "don't play it online", to quote EA). And that shows that something is going wrong, very wrong.

BTW. Doesn't it remind you the case with sony and spyware-loaded CD's?

MkH^

FH tester

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

2,286 Posts

0 Threads

#23 13 years ago

You weren't honestly considering on buying the game though, were you? Well, I suppose it isn't fair either ways though..

Komrad_B

Score Monkey

45,850 XP

2nd September 2004

0 Uploads

4,500 Posts

0 Threads

#24 13 years ago

This is completely absurd. I wouldn't mind ads that would at least pay a server's bill, or even make the game cheaper to buy. This, however, is ridiculous. Ads are a nuisance, and usually they are used to pay something that is "free" (example : most TV channels). However, I will never willingly pay the full price to see ads.

I hope BF2142 doesn't sell, and I hope other game devellopers won't take example on this.

Jetro

There's a satchel on your tank

50 XP

6th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,473 Posts

0 Threads

#25 13 years ago

If you want the game for the game this isn't gonna be a problem and you're probably not going to even notice it while people shoot at you.

If you already made up your mind you don't like BF2142... well now you have a new topic to bitch about on the game you never were going to buy to begin with, enjoy.

Ya pay for your cable and they cram 10 minutes per 30 of ads down your throat. You pay for a movie ticket and you get 20 minutes of previews and coke ads. You pay for a bus ticket and theres some make-up ad plastered on the side of the bus. You pay your ISP and half the internet sits around collecting your search habits.

3/4ths of your life is already floating around on the internet for anyone to see as long as they have the knowlegede to get it. I'm more worried about a hacker stealing my indentity than BF2142 displaying Nvidia ads on a billboard.

Toekar

Proud to be American

50 XP

21st August 2005

0 Uploads

980 Posts

0 Threads

#26 13 years ago

More reason not to buy it

Omni

FH mod team member

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

423 Posts

0 Threads

#27 13 years ago
MkH^;3294585You weren't honestly considering on buying the game though, were you? Well, I suppose it isn't fair either ways though..

Yes, I wasn't considering buying it, but it doesn't make a difference. What's important is a FACT that publisher can do whatever he wants and all we do can is agree, or, sorry for foul language, go fuck ourselves.

What EA does can be just a small stone, that can launch an avalanche. First BF2142, then Gta, Sims, and in the end Tetris 3D and Pacman 2125832D Forever. Data mining IS bad and violates your terms of privacy. Imagine that your computer is a home and a game is like TV. Buying a game with in-built data miner is like buying a TV with a guy, who comes with it, lives in your home, watches what you buy to eat, what foam you use to shave and what socks you wear - just to tell his boss to put apropriate ads on the TV. Internet is like the door to your home and it should be up to you who you allow to enter your house, and not up to the salesmen.

Also, I'm perfectly fine with bilboards with ads in game (though I wouldn't feel fine with them - ahh, the greed :/ ; but it's publishers right to be greedy) as long as they're not using any data miners and digging through my private life.

And btw Article no 12 from the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights

Article 12.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honor and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Jetro

There's a satchel on your tank

50 XP

6th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,473 Posts

0 Threads

#28 13 years ago

So I take it you don't use search engines since they collect pretty much everything you've searched for and occasionally submit your info to third parties for "research" purposes. The AOL search log debacle anyone?

All your info is out there, it's not private(ie, encypted), and companies already look at it. Following your metaphor, your house is already full of guys going through your sock drawers or whatever, and they just invited themselves in just because you connected.

Real-BadSeed

Science experiment

50 XP

5th December 2004

0 Uploads

3,799 Posts

0 Threads

#29 13 years ago

the game will feature ingame ads on bill boards signs around maps. they announced this during testing, but they left out the spyware part.... thats so lame its hard to have words ...

foodmaniac2003

Gelato pwns all

50 XP

11th March 2006

0 Uploads

2,875 Posts

0 Threads

#30 13 years ago

Like Badseed said, this is really lame. :(

Wikipedia

EA Revenue 10px-Green_Arrow_Up.svg.png$2.951 billion USD (2006) Operating income 10px-Green_Arrow_Up.svg.png$325.00 million USD (2006) Net income 10px-Green_Arrow_Up.svg.png$236.00 million USD (2006)

Are they really that desperate for a couple more hundred thousand dollars?