Lupin

[¹2ACR]

50 XP

26th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,259 Posts

0 Threads

#41 13 years ago
cc.;3297726Who cares, its a wicked game. I bet the advertisements will be for nothing more then EA products in the news ticker or perhaps a bar scrolling on one of the pop up screens, not ingame. Don't piss your pants over it, EA isn't stupid enough to have popups and real billboards and all that crap ingame. ...I hope. D:

There are real billboards EVERYWHERE. Here are some examples. (These are taken from the beta, which didnt have the ad code in yet) image00006cc1.jpg image00007kb4.jpg Look at how many billboards there are in that one small area. 4 of them. And im sure its even worse in close urban areas and "hot spots".

Fuzzy Bunny

Luke, I am your mother.

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

6,274 Posts

0 Threads

#42 13 years ago
Jetro;3297467You can argue the grey areas of the definition all day. But if you were dead set on keeping your IP adress a dark secret, online gaming would not be the hobby to take up.

I'm not talking about my IP, dude, you're missing my point. Trust me on this _please_, I'm a security & privacy consultant for a living--I deal all day in the grey areas of what various software vendors try to get away with, including exploiting badly written contracts for as much as they're worth.

Point being, I do not trust EA further than I could throw the lot of them tied to a very large dumpster full of BF2142 CDs with large heavily padlocked steel chains (that's not very far.) Looking at this EULA it's a license for Bad Shit (tm) waiting to happen. If it doesn't, you know what, great. But like you said, no $$ no honey.

Komrad_B

Score Monkey

45,850 XP

2nd September 2004

0 Uploads

4,500 Posts

0 Threads

#43 13 years ago
And im sure its even worse in close urban areas and "hot spots".

I'm starting to think this might be a realistic feature for a game set in 2142. After all, if in 2006 we have ads in wargames, we should have real advertisements in conflicts and wars well before 2142. :D

charlesbian

I follow teh Moo!

50 XP

9th October 2005

0 Uploads

661 Posts

0 Threads

#44 13 years ago

what the irking part is that the average consumer isnt going to know anything about this until he buys the game and opens up the package, effectively voiding any chance he has at returning the game to any retailer. I miss the days when publishers had ethics.

Crazy Wolf Advanced Member

Snipes With Artillery

277,420 XP

22nd March 2005

0 Uploads

27,192 Posts

0 Threads

#45 13 years ago

When were those?

I miss shareware.

Real-BadSeed

Science experiment

50 XP

5th December 2004

0 Uploads

3,799 Posts

0 Threads

#46 13 years ago

You guys are forgetting the performance hit that having streamed Ads will bring during your gaming experience. Not to mention any privacy violations that may occur from this. This was posted on the EA official forum regarding this issue

Posting on behalf of the Dev Team -------------------------------- Greetings,

We would like to provide more information on in-game advertising in Battlefield 2142. To try and help everyone better understand it, here is how it works.

The in- game advertisement is respectful of players' privacy: it never accesses files not directly related to the game, and it does not capture personal data such as cookies, account login detail, gameplay behaviour or surfing history. As it is an integrated part of Battlefield 2142 and not a separate program, it only runs when the game is running.

Because BF2142 delivers ads by region, the IP address of the player is used to determine the region of the player and helps serve ads by region and language; for instance, a player in Paris will be presented with ads in French. Note that this IP address is not stored on the advertisement server and is not repurposed for other uses.

A unique ID number is anonymously assigned the first time the player joins a Battlefield 2142 online game. It is stored locally on the PC but is not linked to any personal details.

The in-game advertisement gathers what we call “impression data”, such as location of the billboard in the game or duration of advertisement impression. It helps see how many people have seen an ad – but not who has seen it.

We are also conscious that the advertisement shouldn’t distract the player from the overall gaming experience, so all ads fit in the unique environment of each level in the game. The content of the ads is also controlled to ensure that no offensive content is displayed in Battlefield 2142.

We all hope that this explanation will address recent concerns on the advertisement in Battlefield 2142.

See you on the Battlefield.

Your Dice Live Team

So basically, they want to cover their costs for patching their bugs and screw ups, by subjecting their customers to advertising Ingame... So now we the customer are paying for fixes for your(EA's) broken products?? i think not!!! Atleast i wont be anyway.. Plus some of us dont have IP's that truly represent where we live either. so im gonna get adverts for stuff from the states???, from stores that dont even exist where i live??? ill be voting with my wallet on all EA products from here on in.

Lupin

[¹2ACR]

50 XP

26th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,259 Posts

0 Threads

#47 13 years ago
Komrad_B;3298006I'm starting to think this might be a realistic feature for a game set in 2142. After all, if in 2006 we have ads in wargames, we should have real advertisements in conflicts and wars well before 2142. :D

Well I mean, the whole world is in a massive ice age and everyone is fighting for the remaining resources and food. Kind of like a more "standardized" mad max. I highly doubt people will have the time for Mc Donalds or 200 year old pieces of obsolete electronics.

But what I really want to see is an ingame screenshot depicting the advertisements of the retail version. I have been riding somewhat blind so far and it would be good to see what the ads look like on the billboard.

Lupin

[¹2ACR]

50 XP

26th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,259 Posts

0 Threads

#48 13 years ago

Im really sorry about the double post, but I am past my post editing time limit. But anyhow, I just found this on the bf1942files news comments. http://pcgames.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10572/

EA Suggest Ridiculous BF2142 Bug Fix EA released a patch for Battlefield 2142 today, but for players with a certain Windows security update it will crash the game. EA's bug fix? Uninstall the vital security update. Nice. 8212311294536ef443b10c.jpg

According to the Battlefield 2142 patch readme:[INDENT]"Players who have the Windows security update KB917422 installed may suffer from an application error when running Battlefield 2142. This error can be solved by uninstalling the KB917422 update."[/INDENT]

Wondering what the Windows security update KB917422 does? According to Microsoft:[INDENT]"A security issue has been identified in the Windows Kernel that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it."[/INDENT]First EA put spyware in the game which monitors your browser activity, and now they're asking players to uninstall vital security updates. Is it just me or does this game sound like more trouble than it's worth? Oct 18, 2006

Now this is just trouble waiting to happen. First they force you to have data mining advertisements ingame and now they want you to uninstall important security features? Im sorry EA, but im not going to pay $50, deal with ads, and run the risk of my computer being hijacked just to play your game (which is nothing more than a mod really).

Safe-Keeper

Aw, c'mon Cyan, it's quality!

50 XP

29th September 2004

0 Uploads

1,225 Posts

0 Threads

#49 13 years ago
EA Games in an eggshell: scrooge.jpg
I think you all are being overly anal about this, by simply BROWSING to a site you are giving strangers information who also sell it. Do you think you are safe behind your little IP adress? Think again.

Yup, and I once had a doctor sell my information to a company which sent spam e-mails about cheap medication prescriptions.

[COLOR=Red]Your point[/COLOR]:rolleyes:?

It's not the spyware we are all mad about (mostly). It's the fact that this is a game set 200+ years into a post apocalyptic FUTURE with ipod ads, mc donalds ads etc.

Exactly. Ruins immersion, probably even that of arcade fans who are usually immune to immersion loss.

IPods in two hundred years... They'll probably have microscopic MP3 players added to their brains by genetic manipulation during fetal stage;).

And to people who think it's just a "couple" bill boards, I saw one screen shot that had 5 billboards in one SMALL area.

Exactly. Even if they were not powered by spyware, it'd still be annoying as Hell.

And does EA lower the game price or make it free? Hell no. They still charge you the usual $50 and then rape you with out of context ads that track how long you look at them.

Stupid. Akin to how some companies sell beta tests because they won't shell out for a demo.

What's even more stupid is that people fall for it, but that doesn't exactly make it right, does it now?

If you point and click over the billboard it will probobly load up the link in your browser and slash the game down

STFU already, don't give them ideas! [Looks around, sees no EA people around] Phew... Now think before you post:mad:. (;))

You guys are forgetting the performance hit that having streamed Ads will bring during your gaming experience.

Yup. 1 Billboard=1 less piece of eye-candy with the same amount of polygons. Again: Stupid.

EA released a patch for Battlefield 2142 today, but for players with a certain Windows security update it will crash the game. EA's bug fix? Uninstall the vital security update. Nice.

Very nice of them.

EA Revenue $2.951 billion USD (2006) Operating income $325.00 million USD (2006) Net income $236.00 million USD (2006)

So that's why they hardly ever patch their games - they can't affort it. And I thought it was corporate greed.

Admiral Donutz Advanced Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#50 13 years ago

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.;3293534Well, i wont be buying BF2142 anytime soon[/quote]I "would" (I don't because it does not intrest me :p ) but only if they showed be hard evidence that it is any good like a lower price, evidence that shows Dice was able to put in more (useful) features that would have been let out for sure without advertising money etc.

I won't even start about the spyware. That's just wrong on so many levels... I'm not going to pay a salesman to put a foot between my doorstep and observe me (I don't want anybody to run of with what I do and do not do to begin with but gate is already open so meh).

Regardless I won't play the game unless FH ships to it anyway.

[quote=Known Soldier;3297463]All EA has done is encourage people to get cracked/pirate versions of the game without any spyware or PC slowing copy protection.

Am I right?

Thanks Russsian Crackers/Hackers for your work, what would we do with out you?!

I realise there are other crackers other than Russian, but they come to mind first

Well copy protected is a nono seeing everybody has the right by law to make a backup copy (which ofcourse can't be displayed elsewhere and jadajada).