Kradovech

[130.Pz]'s cannon fodder

50 XP

11th September 2004

0 Uploads

1,083 Posts

0 Threads

#61 13 years ago

I couldn't care less about ads in BF2142. I did try the demo and It just didn't appeal to me. With or without ads, Im not going to buy it. If they had put ads in bf2, I would have had nothing against it. Infact, I might have liked it, they would have fit in perfectly into the modern theme (As is the case with sports games) But if they will ever make bf1942 2 (which, no matter how arcadish, i will probably buy) and I had to see something like this: McDonalds_PingPong_Im_Lovin_it.jpg on top of the buildings in Stalingrad, I wouldn't be too happy about it. Especially if there was no information about this on the dvd case. I mean, cmon! Thus I can understand people who really would like to play bf2142, but have to deal with stuff that just don't fit in. And, besides there is that spyware issue..

Fuzzy Bunny

Luke, I am your mother.

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

6,274 Posts

0 Threads

#62 13 years ago
Admiral Donutz;3298305Well copy protected is a nono seeing everybody has the right by law to make a backup copy (which ofcourse can't be displayed elsewhere and jadajada).

Depends on whether you live in a country with what are called "fair use" laws.

If you don't, I strongly encourage you to lobby for them.

Not to hijack this thread (sorry, it's an important topic that concerns anyone with a PC) but DRM and anti-circumvention measures like the US DMCA bill and similar European laws--basically implementing technical security measures and then make it criminally punishable to try to get around them for _whatever_ reason, including personal backups--are a cheap below-the-belt way around this.

So consider sending a buck to the EFF (http://www.eff.org), they're nice people. Not just to help stand up to evil anti-competitive and anti-productive copyright regimes, but also, as Safe-Keeper put it, to maintain help maintain a modicum of control over who does what with what is your essentially private information, read on:

The explanation given by DICE is a nice one. However, it does not change the fact that the EULA gives DICE/EA a blank check to actively data mine your box, even if that statement they issued is correct and they're not doing so right now. I furthermore agree 100% with what R-BSD said; add to all this the fact that, even if I did trust EA, I don't see why I should pay for the game AND subsidize them through ads. It's not a question of "caring" about Pepsi ads that I can ignore. I'm even willing to give DICE the benefit of the doubt on this one, that maybe they're not being evil bastards. However, a lot of people here are still missing the point about the "blank check". And if that doesn't concern you, you might want to take a step back and think about it for a minute.

Jetro

There's a satchel on your tank

50 XP

6th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,473 Posts

0 Threads

#63 13 years ago

But if they were to collect outside of the data they specified(data mine your whole box), wouldn't they collect the "personally identifiable" information their Eula already states that they won't collect? If that's the case wouldn't that put them in violation of their own Eula? It really doesn't seem that blank.

Mayhemic.MAD

praising the FH devs

50 XP

23rd October 2006

0 Uploads

162 Posts

0 Threads

#64 13 years ago

BF2142 isn´t the first game to "feature" this ad system. In fact, I fear it we should all start to get used to it as you can see if you take a look at the Companys that have licensed this system so far http://www.massiveincorporated.com/site_network/partners.htm

Early informations (with prevention howto) about this System here: http://nationalcheeseemporium.org/

Crazy Wolf Advanced Member

Snipes With Artillery

277,420 XP

22nd March 2005

0 Uploads

27,192 Posts

0 Threads

#65 13 years ago

Wait, did they merely market ingame(a Coke sign), or did they monitor usage or location to determine which ads to place?

Admiral Donutz Advanced Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#66 13 years ago

MagicMAD;3307158BF2142 isn´t the first game to "feature" this ad system. In fact, I fear it we should all start to get used to it as you can see if you take a look at the Companys that have licensed this system so far http://www.massiveincorporated.com/site_network/partners.htm

Early informations (with prevention howto) about this System here: http://nationalcheeseemporium.org/

Or just don't buy the game (dare I say "legally" ? :p ). No ads ingames unless I can see it lowering the price tag. Patches are a service, service is supposed to be free. Hell patches are not a service, they are a must for correcting errors they did not want to or could not remove. If you bu a car and there seems to be something wrong with it you would expect it too to be repaired on costs of the manufacturer. Same goes for anything else from dishwashers to cellphones.

"Sorry about the reverse light not working on that new car you bought last week, it's going to cost you 40 bucks to get that fixed unless you allow us to post a couple of advertisments on your car. We will then repair any errors for free!!" :rolleyes:

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#67 13 years ago
charlesbian;3304846this is like defending a robber who hurt himself on a cactus plant while breaking into your house, and now is suing you for money.

Off-topic, and not actaully so crazy, but according to polish law if a thief will, say drawn in your little water pool in a garden, it's your fault and legal action against you starts... Not sure if it's still same too, but if you'll do even small physical damage to a burglar, he can sue you for money. On topic, well, I'm not buying that game because I don't like the universe setting. If that's not enough it's simplicity, poor design and now this compleately turned me off. I don't understand why a couple of people defend it, yeah, apparently it's okay with law to have them do this, but look again at those pearls of polish law which I pointed out, is that compleately okay too? Even if you don't care don't tell everyone that if they think it's a bad idea, they're wrong. Alot of strong arguments against it has been made, both in case of gameplay, legal stuff and performance. Seemingly though, you happen to act like you wouldn't notice those, and continue on with less and less reasonable arguments. Why should someone agree for this idea, even if it's simmilar to a couple of other common practics like advertisements in a tv? It has not been like this before, and they don't take this money anywhere else than straight to their pockets. Compare to books, are tehy being intervaled by commercials? No, they eventually have additional papers with advertisements. Same is for pc games now and I'm fine with it, but this proceder is pushing it way too far.

Fuzzy Bunny

Luke, I am your mother.

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

6,274 Posts

0 Threads

#68 13 years ago

Jetro;3307058But if they were to collect outside of the data they specified(data mine your whole box), wouldn't they collect the "personally identifiable" information their Eula already states that they won't collect? If that's the case wouldn't that put them in violation of their own Eula? It really doesn't seem that blank.[/quote]

It is, let me explain: "personally identifiable data" is a legal term with a very specific set of definitions, depending on your country's laws. Even when it is not specifically defined by specific legislation, there is usually some sort of judicial precedent outlining what it consists of. Name & SSN are typical examples of this sort of data.

However what is not under the purview of this thing is "does this PC contain pirated software? Our partner xyz.com might like to know this info." "Is there another game on there we don't like? Let's find out and send him mails about it." "Let's put drop browser cookies in while we're at it." Whatnot. These are admittedly extreme and unlikely, but I've seen more egregious things happen. Remember, the "personally identifiable" part applies to mapping your identity (or profile) on your PC--you were absolutely correct in stating that most people leave many trails online; you don't need to find an SSN on a dude's PC to identify him.

Anyway, as I said I'm actually (oddly enough) to give DICE the benefit of the doubt; I think this is just a poorly conceived and worded idea that some marketing brainiac came up with. As for immersion, I mean, wtf are they gonna give you in terms of ads that makes a game set in 2142 more realistic? "Buy Ed's Hovercars"? "Try New New New Coke"? I agree with the people who said that the principle of advertising in a game I buy (or rather won't buy) in the first place where the realism factor is tenuous at best is a bit...uh...you get the drift.

[quote="pvt. Allen"]Off-topic, and not actaully so crazy, but according to polish law if a thief will, say drawn in your little water pool in a garden, it's your fault and legal action against you starts... Not sure if it's still same too, but if you'll do even small physical damage to a burglar, he can sue you for money.

Dig deeper ponds.

Lupin

[¹2ACR]

50 XP

26th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,259 Posts

0 Threads

#69 13 years ago
charlesbian;33048461. Is EA a poor publisher? NO! 2. Is the game built off an entirely new engine created specifically for that game, and thus required a huge investment in time and money for that singular game? NO! 3. Is Dice a new, upstart company trying to get their name out there with a fresh, revolutionary new franchise that has yet to be established and is a risky venture, and thus needs additional revenue? NO! 4. Is there an altruistic purspose besides profit that would help the gaming community or the end consumer in anyway? NO! 5. Does the game cost ANY LESS for the consumer than a comparable game without in-game advertising? NO! tell me why people need to feel obligated to defend this in-game advertisement. this is like defending a robber who hurt himself on a cactus plant while breaking into your house, and now is suing you for money.

I would give you rep but it won't let me. :uhoh: