Chanquad

Forgotten Hope Freak

50 XP

5th December 2005

0 Uploads

326 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

With the assumption that FH maps will be much bigger than BF2, wont it be great if you could fill the map up with more players and squads?

I was really looking forward to playing 64 vs 64 when I first heard about BF2, but they cut it to 64 on release. So if they had it in before it should not be impossible to inplent it in FH.

*Thinking about massive Battlefields packed with action* :love: *Drools*

Im not saying all maps and servers should me 128.. but atleast have it as an option!

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

Yes, it is possible to do and it doesn't need any sophisticated methood. But it produces other problems. With 128 players performance drop is big, especially if most of them will be rendered at once. Also keep in mind that FH maps will definately push the Bf2 requirements in future. It might work okay with North African maps wich haven't got so many static objects, but Pacific or Europe can be a problem. Finally since DICE abandoned 128 players version (probably due to the rush) they didn't optimize the game's net code for it. It means that even if every player will have perfect pc and connection, server will be ultra fast and map won't be that big still performance problems can occure within all the info constantly being sent beteween host and clients. But that doesn't have to happen. Also engine might have problems with dealing with so many polygons and textures at once in already detailed enviroments. For example Operation Flashpoint (Gold Upgrade version) simply can't render smoothly many units and terrain with far view distance (happens rather only in custom missions), no matter how you overexceed the requirements.

Chanquad

Forgotten Hope Freak

50 XP

5th December 2005

0 Uploads

326 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

Hmm.. Thought they had added the code to work with 128 aswell.. They said thatthey cut it because IDSN people would have a chanse to play, wich i think is stupid because they didnt need to play on those servers.. But is it possible to highten the player limit a little bit? to maybe 80 or 96?

And only have those numbers on sertain theaters. As the north african..

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

No, you missunderstood me. It works without any errors for 128 players. This option is simply there. What I mean is that net code wasn't optimized for it since abandonning it and there were quite few patches. All those could make the net code have problems with handling 128 player without any lag. But still, it's there, it's no problem to have so many players.

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago
Chanquad
With the assumption that FH maps will be much bigger than BF2, wont it be great if you could fill the map up with more players and squads?

That in an inaccurate assumption. The BF2 engine does not allow for larger maps than in BF2.

Chanquad

Forgotten Hope Freak

50 XP

5th December 2005

0 Uploads

326 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

But would it not be better for a little more people in bigass fh maps? Is it possible for a mod to optimize the net code of the game? At least make the game playable with 80~ people..

Chanquad

Forgotten Hope Freak

50 XP

5th December 2005

0 Uploads

326 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago
'LIGHTNING [NL']That in an inaccurate assumption. The BF2 engine does not allow for larger maps than in BF2.

Have you played the new patch from PRMM? They have a map there that is soooooo huge! Takes 10 - 15 minutes to get to the other side with a transport truck. Maybe the map bordes cant be bigger.. But you could make more of use of the map. vBF2 hasent got a map that uses the map size. they only use halv or less

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

Ah, I see, you're right.

The problem is though, that they have a huge heightmap (2049 by 2049). That takes a lot of processing power. Then they have the same amount of textures that a 1025 by 1025 map has, so the ground will be only half as detailed as in every other map. Plus BF2 was never built to support maps this size.

But if it doesn't lag, well, we'll see what can be done. However, all current FH2 maps that are WIP are the same size as BF2 maps. (1025 by 1025 heightmap with scale 2).

Thanks for pointing it out though, I thought it was impossible.

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

No, sorry, scratch my last post. I misread something.

Which map are you talking about? The biggest map I could find is still 1025 by 1025 scale 2.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago

The map size is defined in the map code files. Then it has height map used in this area and textures with material maps applyed on it. I never tryed that, but maybe you can make even bigger maps simply by enlarging the size in code files, but then you would probably have to create heightmap by hand because Bf2 Editor possibly can't create the material maps and textures for such big map.