- BF2 arty system like it is now without any changes.
- BF42 arty system like it is now without any changes.
- Both arty systems, just that the BF2 arty can only be controled by the commander and the BF42 arty system is for the squads (so they have their arty guys and their own spotters).
- Make "spotter vehicles" usefull by giving them the ability to give coordinates for the arty to the Commander (Bf2 arty system).
- Have use of Radios. Spotters and radio guys can target a position and give the coordinates to their squad leader and he can call the Commander&/or the arty guys of the squad for artillery fire at the respective position.
- Only 1 "recon squad" is avaible for getting arty coordinates. They can spott and call for arty through radio.
- The Commander can't see the enemies on his map if no one of the the recon squad (or just a spotter) didn't clicked on a place of the map. And when he does so it opens that place for the Commander.
- Squad leaders can request arty and Commanders can ONLY approve/deny (that means they can't shoot arty without squad leaders)
- Squad leader is a Officer and can call for Arty from every arty in game (BF42) and from the Commander (BF2) too
- Squad leader has his own stationary arty that has to be controled by someone of his squad and he when he calls for arty ONLY his arty can see the request.
[/edit] Here's an idea for a few Pacific maps anyways; Make artillery, be able to cover most of the map, and have it act like an offshore Battleship. You could make it so that commanders/officers have binoculars that program the artillery coordinates, but to fire, must be radioed in somehow. This could be done by stationary emplacements, or you could have a limited spawn or pickup kit that has a radio and a carbine or something like that. The radio guy calls in the strike by selecting his radio, and hitting primary fire. He doesn't have any ammo for it initially, but gets it from the commander. If anyone's seen Windtalkers they know where I'm deriving this from, but it COULD work in practice.
Sounds cool. But is not really my priority right now. As we progress through the new updates this could possibly be an option.
No! I'm Spamacus!
17th June 2003
I'm going to miss BF1942's artillery system. It felt good to be in control. BF2 leaves out human error, one person only has to point and click. In BF1942 it was more realistic (BF1942 realistic?! ;) ), you had to have a forward observer and the artillery pieces themselves manned.
BF's combat has always been too fast, and the front lines to liquid for the binoculars to be of any use - and even then, it wasn't an artillery barrage, it was just one explosion and then you died. Now, however, its awesome. Imagine the old foy, with an artillery barrage coming down on the american's hill, and all the trees exploding and falling to the ground like in BoB. Before you say anything - Mass lag, or mass fun?
Mass spawn rape?
Who_Flung_Poo?Mass spawn rape?
Ok, so that's mass fun :D
I'm going to miss BF1942's artillery system. It felt good to be in control.
BF2 leaves out human error, one person only has to point and click. In BF1942 it was more realistic (BF1942 realistic?! ), you had to have a forward observer and the artillery pieces themselves manned.11 Hours Ago 07:05 PM
:) The same as my opinion!!! I liked to use the guns and its more realistic - and dont like the comander strike...ok at least the guns are standing somewhere in the map...but with people on it - it would be better - or maybe both. So please FH let the people self shoot with the nice guns;)
Maybe some1 use a forward obsever and it goes to a commander and then relay it to someone whos on the gun and boom they all get points orcommander recaeive cordinate and picks the one that is importasnt and to fire he needs to be at the guns to receive the order
I'm glad that EA realized that almost no one would be willing to use artillery as a team tool. Personally, I love the idea of just being able to spot for artillery and watch the rain of death upon the enemy, and knowing that I am responsible for all this lovely destruction. It's the same for shooting the arty itself. BUT, no matter how perfect and easy to hit my spots are, NO ONE WILL GET IN THE GODDAMN ARTY AND USE MY SPOT! And no one will spot for me no matter how much I ask for a spot. DAMN IDIOTS WHO DONT WORK AS A TEAM! However, now that the arty is automated, I dont have to worry about someone shooting it for me. It's too bad only the commander can use it though. It'd be cool if the commander got one battery, and could divide the remaining artillery among the squad leaders.