It's Happy Fun Ball!

aka Killed in First Minute

50 XP

21st October 2005

0 Uploads

1,297 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

The other Dieppe thread was necro-posted from 2005. It seems to me the correct thing to do is make a new modern thread. (If I am wrong and the devs lock this as a redundant thread, so be it. Ok so there are Canadians in the Normandy patch. I think we should re-visit the debate on a Dieppe map. I want to try and avoid re-telling the history of the raid, that just sidetracks us to a history debate. (Which FH'ers revel in!) Instead I want to focus on its merits as an FH map. I am going to start with addressing the biggest negative. Although the raid was a failure, that does not mean it would not be playable. Some of the regiments came close to achieving their objectives. Remember this was just a raid. They were supposed to land, advance to a certain point, then fall back. Some regiments came close to their designated points. These elements of the raid could be re-created. I think that if the map was designed carefully and given limited objectives it would be playable. Also the fact that a map was resounding defeat for one side does not mean it cannot be recreated in FH. Furthermore, there is a very good reason to include it. The senario is a unique. The raid was an amphibious assault on a town. This was rare in WW2. FH2 has both towns and amphibious craft but they have never been really combined in FH.

SiCaRiO

no mas crosshair!

50 XP

5th August 2005

0 Uploads

456 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

what is Dieppe?

(waits death..)

Ofw. Josef Schneider

Herr Ober, die Rechnung bitte

50 XP

20th October 2007

0 Uploads

1,783 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Canadians participated in ww2? Cool, didn't know! (stands next to sicario)

[COLOR=Silver]Don't think it will come all to soon, tbh...[/COLOR]

Thamu

Brazil,presents in WW2

50 XP

5th May 2008

0 Uploads

112 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

Nice suggestion :)

[130.Pz]W.Fuchs

Requiescat in Pace

50 XP

20th March 2008

0 Uploads

4,766 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Uniforms of '42 and uniforms of '44, any big differences? If not, go mapper, go!

It's Happy Fun Ball!

aka Killed in First Minute

50 XP

21st October 2005

0 Uploads

1,297 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago
'[130.PzW.Fuchs;4826095']Uniforms of '42 and uniforms of '44, any big differences? If not, go mapper, go!

Oh good point, I forgot to mention that. No, I am not suggesting this as part of Normandy. (though it could be) But a post Normandy map.

PointBlank86

FH Dev

50 XP

12th December 2008

0 Uploads

13 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

The fact that the battle was "lost" should not matter. For example, if you play Pointe du hoc and the germans win, thats not historicaly accurate either. As far as dieppe being "lost", what is lost? The allies planed that raid as a sort of test invasion of normandy to see where their weakneses were, and thats exactly what they did, the information gathered from dieppe im sure saved countless live on june 6th...............mission acomplished. Its just a shame that some 900 canadians lost their lives in the process. The uniforms shouldnt have any MAJOR differences that would require a reskin or modeling. The only thing i can think of is that they wouldnt have the Mk.III "Turtle" helmet.

Flyboy1942

A.K.A. Ghanrage

50 XP

29th January 2005

0 Uploads

1,683 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

So is this a non-official maybe? I want to get my Canadian Pirate on and raid a small French town from the seas...

Arrrr, eh!!!

Natty Wallo

FH2 LevelDesigner

50 XP

16th December 2005

0 Uploads

1,652 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

Happy Fun Ball, I think you should install Editor and give it a shot. No FH2 dev will make this map, so it's either DIY or it will never exist.... It's an extremely tricky map to make good.... I'd say its as problematic as Pearl Harbor. But good luck if you attempt it! :D

Ccharge

Can we just say we went?

50 XP

11th December 2008

0 Uploads

66 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago

I like the idea (me being canadian) but there may pose a few problems. 1. Landing craft, you'll need alot. If this is going to be historical then there would be alot of killed vechiles. which may cause lag. 2. the town will need to be setup in such a way that after you get past the beaches its not super easy.