Coca-Cola

[130.Pz.]A.Aussen

50 XP

28th August 2006

0 Uploads

2,816 Posts

0 Threads

#11 10 years ago

If you do attempt it I could give you some pictures from my trip of the city as well as a topographical map which I'll link you to right now: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/france/txu-oclc-6617501-nm31-7.jpg

It's Happy Fun Ball!

aka Killed in First Minute

50 XP

21st October 2005

0 Uploads

1,297 Posts

0 Threads

#12 10 years ago
Natty Wallo;4826267Happy Fun Ball, I think you should install Editor and give it a shot. No FH2 dev will make this map, so it's either DIY or it will never exist.... It's an extremely tricky map to make good.... I'd say its as problematic as Pearl Harbor. But good luck if you attempt it! :D

I've been tempted more than once, but my talents have never lain in that direction and I am pretty sure I would not be happy with the results. But why do you think the devs would not make this map. I always understood that one of the main criterea was for it a map to present a different experience. This would certainly meet that standard.

Natty Wallo

FH2 LevelDesigner

50 XP

16th December 2005

0 Uploads

1,652 Posts

0 Threads

#13 10 years ago

There are a few reasons... One being we focus now on Normandy 1944, the second being there are other similar maps (better) that can give this experience, third is Dieppe is problematic to make good... We tested in FHT to have this map in FH1, it failed... Its too hard for the attackers.

If I showed you the list of maps that are WIP or planned, you would realize.... The truth is, if we had 10 mappers working full time (40 hours per week) we still wouldn't have "spare" mapping time over for wish-scenarios...

Dieppe is cool, I agree, but like Pearl Harbor its one of those scenarios a mapper don't really wanna touch. Maybe in another game, or with complete customized environment and objectives, but that's minimum of 1,000 work-hours for mapper, modellers, coders... We don't have that at the moment.

Ofw. Josef Schneider

Herr Ober, die Rechnung bitte

50 XP

20th October 2007

0 Uploads

1,783 Posts

0 Threads

#14 10 years ago

Just curious, which editor do you devs use to create your maps? IIRC back in Bf42, people would use the Editor42 - I think that was the name - instead of the standard editor. Is there something similar for Bf2?

It's Happy Fun Ball!

aka Killed in First Minute

50 XP

21st October 2005

0 Uploads

1,297 Posts

0 Threads

#15 10 years ago
Natty Wallo;4826733There are a few reasons... One being we focus now on Normandy 1944, the second being there are other similar maps (better) that can give this experience, third is Dieppe is problematic to make good... We tested in FHT to have this map in FH1, it failed... Its too hard for the attackers.[/quote] Just to touch on those three: First, I was thinking of this as a post Normandy map, to be done later. Second, what are the other maps. I am not disagreeing with you here, it was just my understanding that an amphibious assault on a build up area was unusual in WW2. As for the third point if it was tried and failed I don't, really have a response to that. I suppose I could, as you suggested, try to make it work myself, but I am probably not going to do that. [quote=Natty Wallo;4826733]If I showed you the list of maps that are WIP or planned, you would realize.... The truth is, if we had 10 mappers working full time (40 hours per week) we still wouldn't have "spare" mapping time over for wish-scenarios... Dieppe is cool, I agree, but like Pearl Harbor its one of those scenarios a mapper don't really wanna touch. Maybe in another game, or with complete customized environment and objectives, but that's minimum of 1,000 work-hours for mapper, modellers, coders... We don't have that at the moment.

That's a shame. I really did think this battle had compelling reasons to be tried, but maybe that's not the case.

Kev4000

GF is my bext friend *hugs GF*

50 XP

5th October 2007

0 Uploads

777 Posts

0 Threads

#16 10 years ago
Ofw. Josef Schneider;4826904Just curious, which editor do you devs use to create your maps? IIRC back in Bf42, people would use the Editor42 - I think that was the name - instead of the standard editor. Is there something similar for Bf2?

The BF2 editor is the only (map) editor available for BF2. However, there's a variety of programs for making heightmaps etc., check the Official BFEditor - Home site for resources and help. But for placing statics, vegitation and other things, Bf2 editor is the only choice.

Nigosky

FH beta tester

50 XP

28th July 2003

0 Uploads

617 Posts

0 Threads

#17 10 years ago

anyday this map will see the light of the life =p

screen012.jpgpreview_terrain.jpg

Von Mudra

Lo, I am Mudra, za emo soldat!

50 XP

25th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,064 Posts

0 Threads

#18 10 years ago
'[130.PzW.Fuchs;4826095']Uniforms of '42 and uniforms of '44, any big differences? If not, go mapper, go!

Some. No turtle helmet as previously noted, SMLE rifle too for brit. However, the Churchill tanks would have to be the early type with 2lber, not the late types with 6lber and 75mm.

As for germans, no MG42s, no M43 caps, so you'd need the side caps. Also, no M43 tunics, so M36 and M40 only. No tan/water camo, splinter only. That's about it....

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#19 10 years ago

Nigosky;4827636anyday this map will see the light of the life =p

screen012.jpgpreview_terrain.jpg

Looks pretty good.

Only crit is that boundary area should be water.. it would look better that way.

I know the real picture has it as land. But unless your planning to make that area high level land like the cliffs, then just get rid of that ground area and make it water.

I could be wrong though. Maybe its just the view distance :).

preview_terrain.jpg

Lobo's Special Friend

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

28th November 2008

0 Uploads

31 Posts

0 Threads

#20 10 years ago

What I find interesting about Dieppe is that it was the biggest air engagement next to the Battle of Britain. That is where the real battle was going on. Not on the beach.