Jez

TA Webmaster

50 XP

8th May 2003

0 Uploads

118 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

some of you may have heard of this, but its driving me insane, When i try to install 3d Studio Max it comes up with "Error 1606 Could not access network location ::Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop" i have looked up all the usual fixes. They say to edit a file in \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. The String is Common Administrative Tools. I don't have this string, which means i cant edit it so im kinda lost at what to do so can some one clever out there help me please! thanks in advance

Jez

P.S Windows XP Upgrade from 98SE 128mb ddr Geforce 2mx 600 2.0Ghz Athlon XP Motherboard .. cant remember lol

zsh_xx

50 XP

25th November 2000

0 Uploads

232 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

What other values do you have under this Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.

If Necessary, You could create a new 'string' value .....(The String is Common Administrative Tools)

Jez

TA Webmaster

50 XP

8th May 2003

0 Uploads

118 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

zsh_xxWhat other values do you have under this Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.

If Necessary, You could create a new 'string' value .....(The String is Common Administrative Tools)

hmm i tried that, :'( it still doesnt work, even with the value set as what it says to set it to on the sites which tell you how to fix it, so any other ideas .... im really desperate

Peeping Tom

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

1st March 2003

0 Uploads

2,619 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Hey, if you only have 128 megs of RAM, did you expect it to even run? Betcha didn't even pay for it, LOL, K...A....Z...A....A? Perhaps? Sometimes Warez isn't exactly flawless.....

Jez

TA Webmaster

50 XP

8th May 2003

0 Uploads

118 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago
peeping_tom55Hey, if you only have 128 megs of RAM, did you expect it to even run? Betcha didn't even pay for it, LOL, K...A....Z...A....A? Perhaps? Sometimes Warez isn't exactly flawless.....

lol

1. didnt think u were sposed to talk about warez here 2. it isnt :P 3. i have 256mb ram despite wat a wrote lol i couldnt remember and wasnt assed to check 4. its nothing to do with the program, its xp and yes i do have a legal copy of xp .. does that make you happy ??

now can someone please help me with this problem its so anoying!

Peeping Tom

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

1st March 2003

0 Uploads

2,619 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

I wasn't insinuating XP was priated. The warez thing is about DISTRIBUTING warez. And yes, it does have someting to do with it. It can be stripped down/altered to circumvent copy protection. Where'd you get it? Because considering you're 14 and the cost of the program is prohibitive.......well, it just doesn't seem possible. Create the new string mentioned by ZSH and it should all work out....

Sh0rD

¥ Uberhacker ¥

50 XP

11th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,118 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK. Locate and click (highlight) the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click Common Administrative Tools. In the Value data box of the Edit String dialog box that appears, type the following line, and then click OK: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor. Restart the computer.

Jez

TA Webmaster

50 XP

8th May 2003

0 Uploads

118 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Sh0rDClick Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK. Locate and click (highlight) the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click Common Administrative Tools. In the Value data box of the Edit String dialog box that appears, type the following line, and then click OK: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor. Restart the computer.

hmm, thanks although i had already done many searches on google for something like that, and tried it about 5 times!! but that key doesnt exist, and even if i create it it doesnt work either :S so im kinda stuck for ideas, thanks anyway :)

Sh0rD

¥ Uberhacker ¥

50 XP

11th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,118 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago
Jezhmm, thanks although i had already done many searches on google for something like that, and tried it about 5 times!! but that key doesnt exist, and even if i create it it doesnt work either :S so im kinda stuck for ideas, thanks anyway :)

You can PM me or IM me on my AIM name @ Xx Shortdog xX and I can remotely connect to your computer and do it for you.

Remember when you change the registry, you have to restart the computer for the changes to take effect.