Capt. Yossarian

The one and only

50 XP

22nd February 2004

0 Uploads

302 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Every time i start up Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, I have to go to the checking Hard Drive screen (the blue one) It takes more than an hour to run. I can stop it at the beggining but there is only a ten second window. If I miss that, i have to manually restart. I have done Virsu Scan and System restore, and neither worked. It is a real pain in the a**. If anyone knows how to fix it, could you post here? Thanks. :)

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

That system comes up if Windows detects a problem on your Hard drive.

Reboot and as system is rebooting keep rpressing F8 repeatedly until you come to a DOS screen with text on a balck screen. Use the up and down arrow kets to scroll down to start windows in safe mode. System should try to boot and it will say "Starting in safe mode do you wish to continue?"

Say yes and let it boot to teh desktop. It should say safe mode in each corner. See if you can get into My computer and see if you can run scandisk on your C: drive and tell scandisk to do a surface scan.

Also, can you post exactly what it is saying on the blue screen. Try pressing the pause/break button to freeze the screen so you can read it.

Did you install any windows updates recently?

Also is your C: drive set to allow file sharing and is it set to allow network users to change files?

Please reply with the requested data and if possible try to boot into safe mode. If not post results.

Capt. Yossarian

The one and only

50 XP

22nd February 2004

0 Uploads

302 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

F8 makes it say keyboard failure. Do you mean F2 or F12 for setup and network boot. I'll be right back with the rest. Edit: This is what it says: "Checking File System on C: One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You can cancel the disk check, but it is strongly reccomended you continue. Windows will now check the disk Volume serial number 07D1-0906 Windows is verifying files and folders. 5 percent complete" I have a dell. I can still use the computer, I just have to catch the disk check in the time window I can cancel it. everything else works but sharing. I am on a network with a couple other computers. Several weeks ago, printing and file sharing stopped working. This wasn't at the same time this problem started though, I think. Wireless Internet still worked. We had had a shared folder, but we hadn't shared the root of the drive.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Eh? Sounds like you have a name brand system like a Hewlett Packard or a Compaq. You should still eb able to hit F8 to boot in safe mode.

Im wondering if you got hacked and they deleted your fat32.sys or NTFS.sys files in which case your system wont boot. Its like giving windows a lobotomy.

Its also possible your HDD failed. But first wiggle all teh wires and cables attached to the drives to make sure you dont have a bad cable.

Also if you go into setup see if your system BIOS sees thE hard drive or CD ROMS. Dont do anything yet, just see if the drives are listed.

Capt. Yossarian

The one and only

50 XP

22nd February 2004

0 Uploads

302 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

They are listed, and the system boots, I just have to get it in the time window to cancel the check, like I edited my previous post to say now.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Let it boot and once booted shut down any screen saver, sleep mode, standby or power saving features and try to run scandisk again. It sounds like its got a lost chain on the HDD and scandisk might be able to repair it.

IF IT DOES FIND LOST CHAINS SAVE THEM IN A FOLDER DONT DELETE THEM.