1) The artillery batteries' firing positions are not ideal. They need to be on a small hill at the very rear of the map, about 10 or 20 yards behind the flagpole (outside of capture radius though). Currently most of the beach is unhittable by the Nebelwerfers because they shoot into the ground about a foot after leaving the barrel, blowing up the gun and player.
2) The bunker types and positions need to be changed. The big eastern bunker should be a little more west, so Allies attacking that side of the map actually have a chance. As it stands they have two bunkers with 4 MGs firing on their path across the beach. Murder.
The similar staircase bunker near that one should be moved further west, about the same distance that the other is away from the boundary. Point being, the MGs should just barely be able to shoot enemies pouring out of landing craft that land on the very edge of the map, next to the boundary.
The small bunker with the two MG42s criscrossing is an excellent custom building and should have a counterpart on the other end of the map as well. These buildings can be more towards the center, and would therefore would not often be shooting at individual soldiers, but providing covering fire at a distance. Tracers flying through the air also adds a lot of tension and atmosphere for the Allies storming the beaches.
3) The MG down on the beach, and all of the spawnpoints down there, should be removed. All Axis spawns should be up on the ridge. Putting spawns there just invites players to camp the beach, and usually they serve no useful purpose down there. This is especially bad at the beginning of the game, when neither of the bunker doors have been blown by the enemy yet, and the mass of players who were unfortunate enough to spawn down there have to either suicide or run all the way across the map to the path up the hill, probably being killed in the process.
4) The 88mm needs to be moved. The hill it is on should be moved back 10-20 yards, the sandbags change shape and height, and the gun itself placed on a downward slope to increase its firing arc. It should have a view of both bunkers and the beach in the middle, but not lock down the entire area. Allied infantry should have a good chance of clearing the bunkers and moving out to capture the flag and kill the 88mm gunner.
5) The Allies need a destroyer parked on the edge of the map. Unmovable, but situated to allow the rear turrets to be used as artillery to shell the beaches. Allies need more landing craft, four would probably be best. These should spawn facing the beach near the destroyer, but further out than where they currently spawn. The driver hardly has time to speed up before he reaches land, they're too close.
6) The German defense gun at the very rear needs to be operational to counter the Allied destroyer. The destroyer should be just barely visible to an officer standing in a bunker with his binoculars... close enough for the artillery gunner to spot it and shoot it, if he has good aim.
7) The Axis need a few buildings to the northeast of the artillery battery, and a couple emplaced MGs in the windows overlooking the field. Currently it is nigh impossible to defend the area against Allied soldiers who have made it up the path and are trying to take a flag. The Germans just need better defensive positions in general. The fight should continue even after the Allies take the ridge flag. Most of the time, once the Allies take that flag, the German defense collapses and the artillery flag is captured quickly. The Germans lose because there is an expanse of mostly treeless field between the flags, and they can't get enough troops across to hold the Allies to a draw. Even if they manage to get enough troops up, there are no good fighting positions thanks to the crippled 88 and sandbag system on the top of the hill.
8) The entire trench system is half-finished and needs to be completed. The trench network should connect both bunkers directly to the trench circling the flag, enabling Allies to stay in cover and still advance towards the flag (kind of like how DICE's Omaha works). Currently they have to run over open ground and usually get slaughtered. There should also be a trench running up to the upper hill where the 88 is, and a trench should run the length of that position. An emplaced MG on the sandbags and a few rifle positions wouldn't hurt either.
It is important to make sure that MGs are placed in valuable positions - there are many MGs placed in spots that have no field of fire, making them useless. MG42s are best at long-range, like shooting soldiers leaving landing boats on the beaches, where their high rate of fire allows players to use them like long-range shotguns - as they were in real life. At the same time, they should not be able to to be used as sniper rifles either, picking off individual soldiers. The MG42 generally couldn't be used all that that well in such fashion, as the ROF was so high that single shots were practically imposssible.
9) The Allies could use a single Springfield sniper rifle to call in artillery and snipe pesky machine gunners on the ridge. Is it possible to have it spawn randomly on the floor of 1 of the 4 landing craft? Alternatively it could spawn on the deck of the destroyer. But, one sniper rifle would be of great assistance to the Allies if used correctly.
10) The Germans need mortar positions alongside the MG bunkers. Of course, the damned mortars need to be fixed too, or this addition is rather useless. They are supposed to be able to fire closer in, fire faster (a heating bar is all that is needed here), and be able to utilize artillery cameras. Mortars were a significant part of the Omaha Beach defense system and deserve their place in this map (and all others too, but that's another thread.)
11) Ambient noise would be nice. The sounds of distant machine gun fire and artillery shells pounding in the background would add a lot of atmosphere.
well most of those ideas are good but no sniper, if theres a sniper and he's good allies will always have it easy running up the beach because the german mg gunners would be sniped immeadietly.I agree Omaha needs ambience like Golds ambience only with mg ricocheys (dunno how to spell it) and lots of screaming etc, like moh's omaha :nodding:
As it stands they have two bunkers with 4 MGs firing on their path across the beach. Murder.
What? You mean realism? In the real omaha it was much worse. if anything, we should add tons-o-arty, 105s, not just rls.
It would be fun if they added a new, large section of the map. VERVILLE! Give the map more than just the: Allies: WOOT, the LCVP didnt run over a teller mine! ok, shit, the mg42 saw us, now im dead. Axis: Wow, a ship, ill shoot the shit out of it! Sweet, 7 kills!!!
Make it a little more interesting...
I wonder what happend to these bangalor renders we saw in the road to 0.6, i would really like to see them in action on omaha, and ayeah definatly one mortar and more ambience, i wouldn't add that destroyer or more landing crafts since this would ruin the atmosphere.
what i would like to see is auto-piloted LVCPs, cuz the human drivers always take him to the corners of the map, and no one really charges the middle
Zigy77what i would like to see is auto-piloted LVCPs, cuz the human drivers always take him to the corners of the map, and no one really charges the middle
Going to the edges is exactly what you're supposed to do. The edges are the spots where your load of soldiers is most likely to get across unscathed. Going into the middle leaves you open to even more machine guns and even less cover, not to mention the fact that there are no exits in the middle.
id say omaha needed some mortars for the germans. for more explosions on the beach.
I don't agree with putting a sniper rifle or a destroyer in but everything else sounds good. I think they're putting three landing crafts in the next version. Iirc, the beach is also going to be narrower.
The next version will have seawalls, so you wont have to worry about germans camping the beach. I dont mind if they stay behind where the barb wire is now, but they need to stay off the beach, for their team's sake (see: TEAMKILLS) along with the allies'. Yes, i feel the 88 and some mg's need to be placed more stratigically. I heard B.F. Pierce say on the wolf server that he is going to modify the terrain in the NW part of the map so that the map will force the allies to 'push' through the german defences instead of always flanking them. Good idea in regards to more trenches AND adding ambient sounds.
Please don't make any more artificial secure blind angle attack routes for the Allies. They didn't have such irl either. Why do you think they landed right in front of the mg bunkers and run up right at them?
What Omaha needs is force team limits, so that only 1/3rd of the players would be on the Axis side, giving the Allies the advantage in numbers they need. And remove those stupid flanking paths from the map edges. The same should be applied to some other maps as well, like the new Stalingrad.