p95

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

23rd January 2004

0 Uploads

15 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I am experiencing an extreme amount of what seems to be lag in call of duty single player. What bothers me is I just spent 300 dollars on my new Radeon 9800 pro 128 mb graphics card to keep this from happening. Multiplayer is fine, my problem is strange enough in single player. I have the new catalyst 4.1 driver and my system specs are. p4 1.8g, 512mb ram. Everbody tells me about a hotfix available, but everything directs me to the catalyst 4.1 driver. I am several levels into cod, and I am having a hard time playing the current one because of the lag. Why is this happening? What can I do?

[+Glasius+] VIP Member

THE snowman

50 XP

23rd January 2000

0 Uploads

1,670 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

I had similar problems with my 9800pro aiw, but fixed it with this hotfix. http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4295.html Looks like its just AIW cards though.

Is this the only game that lags? Try other opengl based games to check.

Have you customized your OpenGL settings? Vsync, filtering, anti-alising etc..

If you can isolate the problem a little more it would help :)

Ensign Riles VIP Member

No! I'm Spamacus!

426,516 XP

17th June 2003

0 Uploads

39,479 Posts

1 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Also, there is quite a difference between lag and low FPS. Lag is usually due to a slow internet connection. There are two types of lag. One is where you you simply have a slow connection which results in information taking longer to be sent to and from the host. The second type of lag can happen to people with anytype of internet connection, but it is more common with slower speeds. It results in packet loss where parts of the information being sent back and forth might become missing thus resulting in the "warping" of players or the sudden movement of players from one place to another. FPS refers the how many frames a second are played. A low FPS can appear to be packet loss and vice versa. As a general rule an FPS of 30 is the best. Anything under it can appear to be choppy, and a higher FPS won't really change anything as the human eye can't detect more frames than about 30 in a second. Hope this helps clerify the difference between the terms "lag" and "fps"...

Peeping Tom

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

1st March 2003

0 Uploads

2,619 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Tell us your FPS and Ping, otheriwse this thread'll be trashed.

p95

50 XP

23rd January 2004

0 Uploads

15 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Thank you everybody for the help. I would definitely call this low fps. It seems to only happen when there is a lot of movement or action. I tried the new Max Payne 2 and the same thing happened a couple of levels in. Not as bad though. The graphics are great, but the game play is disappointing. I haven't done too much customization in my settings, though I have tried different things to fix the problem. I will get my fps. My pings always seem good, I have broadband.

Peeping Tom

50 XP

1st March 2003

0 Uploads

2,619 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Ah, thanks for comin' back. Most leave us hanging without details. Sorry if I came off hostile, it's just the one time posters are REALLY irritating.

p95

50 XP

23rd January 2004

0 Uploads

15 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

I totally understand. How do I find out my fps anyway?

p95

50 XP

23rd January 2004

0 Uploads

15 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Nevermind. I downloaded a file free demo file called frap that helped me see my fps in game. In Max Payne 2 my fps went from 33 to 8. 8 was in the shooting or action spots. In Call of Duty the particular level I was in gave me a fps of 4, yes 4. It looks that bad too. Got any ideas?

Peeping Tom

50 XP

1st March 2003

0 Uploads

2,619 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

God, you should be getting WAY over 60! have you tried a complete re-installation? Before that card, was it ever that laggy?

p95

50 XP

23rd January 2004

0 Uploads

15 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

I had a Radeon 9000 pro prior, and it was laggy too. I don't know what is causing this. My monitor is also very old. It may be 7 years old!! Could that be it?