SdKfz 222 -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 12 years ago

hi

i like to drive the SdKfz 222. but in Normaal you can close the Roof. but in FH2 you can,t. you guys coded a lot of things but wy not the roof?

snotvod

50 XP

26th May 2005

0 Uploads

1,658 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

You used to be able to move the roof, but it wasn't practical, so they just left it as it is.

ZaZZo

GF makes me horny

50 XP

3rd September 2007

0 Uploads

81 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

Can it be done like with the planes?

Open when sitting still/slow and closed when moving?

Mr. Corny

Cocos is the best!

50 XP

1st May 2007

0 Uploads

19 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Would be nice if you can close/open it with the arrowkeys, like you flap up/down the front windshield of the Typ 82 K├╝belwagen.:)

Flippy Warbear

One of Kelly's Heroes

50 XP

2nd January 2004

0 Uploads

2,600 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

ZaZZo;4149629Can it be done like with the planes?

Open when sitting still/slow and closed when moving?

It already does that...

And people please. Snotvod already closed the case. The roof hatch of the 222 used to be operational back in the testing phases but it was then changed to being open at all times because the whole thing was very unpractical to use ingame. As the hatch moved with the turret, aiming low obstructed your view totally unless you used the gunsight... So you see it was VERY awkward to use and against the infantry targets it was useless. Now it works as intended.

EDIT: Note that you were able to close and open the hatch with arrow keys just like the kubelwagen windscreen. But the thing is that the gun moves with the hatches aswell... You cant keep the hatch closed and have the gun looking up because theres no slide in where the gun can move freely, allowing it to aim upwards while the hatch is closed. :(

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

the problem with the 222 roof is that when its closed, the gun cannot elevate. We tested a multitude of ways to code the roof, but none of them proved very sucsessful, so it was left open.

Arrow keys to close the roof means that the gun will still be able to elevate and will clip through the top when its closed.

We also tried linking the roof to the elevation of the gun, so when it was pointed down, the roof would close, and when it was elevated, it would open. This mode visibility very poor, especially when trying to attack ground targets.

And I think a common misconception is that the roof is some kind of armor. Its not. Its a grenade mesh. It will NOT stop the driver from getting shot.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 12 years ago

German crews did not fire the 2cm KwK with the top closed except in emergency situations. In reality, the 222's weaponry was designed for Anti-aircraft, and historically the crew would open the top to fire at aircraft. It is only through movies and active imaginations that it became feasible to be used as an anti-infantry weapon system. The top hatch itself was a rather flimsy wire mesh used only to keep enemy infantry from tossing grenades into it. Also, there was a canvas cover issued with the vehicle to keep rain and weather off the crew. The Sdkfz's 251 and 250, and the 222's sister recon vehicle, the 223 were all given similar canvas covers to keep weather out of the interior. For more info check out the excellent book "German Light Reconnaisance Vehicles" by Horst Scheibert (Schiffer Publishing).